Reforming the Lancashire Cup??

Could we reform the Lancashire Cup as a pre season tournament as they have done with the Yorkshire cup? Lancashire and Cumbria teams from outside super league play for the old trophy over a few weekends would be a good idea meaning competitive games and not just friendlys. Could be a bit of a money Turner for the club's aswell

34 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

There aren't any teams in Lancashire, so I'd guess it's a none starter. 

If the metropolitan boundaries that were invented in 1973 were still relevant now you would be right. Blackpool were the only team in Lancashire back then and they don't exist now. Yes, I guess I am known as a bit of a moaner on here but this is something I am positively in favour of.

Great idea. 

Play all the super league games at Warrington/St Helens so the money largely stays in the sport.

Maybe a semi final double header at Warrington with the draw dramatically made the evening before. A week later the final at Langtree and the 3rd place play off. 

Could work pretty well, keeps costs low and would be competitive.

They should also bring back the charity shield and play it as the first super league game. 

Get rid of loop fixtures and play the Regal Trophy instead.

Include those fixtures in season tickets so clubs don’t lose out. 

2 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I'm all for it but maybe we could invite toronto and toulouse  to take part or say toronto in the Lancashire cup/Toulouse in the Yorkshire cup or vice versa 

Toronto are Manchester based so given the nomadic nature Yorkshire cup would be a natural home

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Can we have flankers and line-outs back while we are at it.

Totally irrelevant to the modern game leave it in the dustbin of history.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Sparse Attendance said:

I wouldn’t be keen, we already play too many games. I don’t think the top clubs would take it that seriously. 

Just as well the opening post said for clubs outside Super League then.

45 minutes ago, Sparse Attendance said:

I wouldn’t be keen, we already play too many games. I don’t think the top clubs would take it that seriously. 

Exactly. 

So get rid of loop fixtures. That would make the regular season more meaningful than it has been for a few years. 

On top of that we can give each club a few home games each in a new competition so clubs don’t lose revenue. 

9 hours ago, Cdd said:

Exactly. 

So get rid of loop fixtures. That would make the regular season more meaningful than it has been for a few years. 

On top of that we can give each club a few home games each in a new competition so clubs don’t lose revenue. 

Another cup competition doesn't give a financial platform beyond you may have one game where you get 1/3 of the gate. You cannot plan your finances on random cup results.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

A few people going into robot mode rather than reading the actual suggestion. A short pre-season cup competition to replace random friendlies would be fine.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 hours ago, Just Browny said:

A few people going into robot mode rather than reading the actual suggestion. A short pre-season cup competition to replace random friendlies would be fine.

And the teams that are knocked out in round 1?

No money and no warm ups from there on.

They could just follow the approach taken in the relaunched Yorkshire Cup, where the knocked out teams play off against each other.

Considering each of these teams are going  to play trials regardless, there is no harm in resurrecting the concept.

Worse case, no one takes the matches seriously and the crowds for the trials remain the same as they currently do with the same amount of media coverage.

On the plus side maybe there is some improvement in crowds, some improvement in coverage and a team gets to win a trophy with some historic significance which then helps generate some good will for that team heading into the real season.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

38 minutes ago, Padge said:

Very easy to do a few small pools to guarantee everyone a couple of games. And even play off the losing sides.

If clubs want it, there are ways to make it work.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 06/04/2019 at 22:25, Padge said:

Yes, those knocked out in Round 1 would be banned from arranging any other pre-season fixtures so you're right. 

I would go further and not even let them train. ?

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:50, Celtic Rooster said:

If the metropolitan boundaries that were invented in 1973 were still relevant now you would be right. Blackpool were the only team in Lancashire back then and they don't exist now. Yes, I guess I am known as a bit of a moaner on here but this is something I am positively in favour of.

Blackpool v Chorley

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Blackpool v Chorley

10 minutes ago, Oxford said:

but who is going to break into the Wigan Trophy Cabinet to get it back?

?

law-order-burglar-burgle-burglary-lawyer

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived