Clubs vote in favour of New York and Ottawa

New York and Ottawa are one step closer to being included in the English league structure after clubs voted in favour by a comfortable majority. Representatives from New York and Ottawa presented their bids to clubs at Salford’s AJ Bell Stadium on Thursday and have been given support by RFL member clubs. While the decision is an undoubted boost to…

The post Clubs vote in favour of New York and Ottawa appeared first on Total Rugby League.

View the full article

Total Rugby League
www.totalrl.com

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is absolutely fantastic news. I had feared self interest would scupper their bids but it's great to see common sense prevail. Its also great that clubs can see the bigger picture and see what big well backed clubs can do for the game.

36 minutes ago, Total Rugby League said:

New York and Ottawa are one step closer to being included in the English league structure after clubs voted in favour by a comfortable majority. Representatives from New York and Ottawa presented their bids to clubs at Salford’s AJ Bell Stadium on Thursday and have been given support by RFL member clubs. While the decision is an undoubted boost to…

The post Clubs vote in favour of New York and Ottawa appeared first on Total Rugby League.

View the full article

Ah, but did they only vote in favour because they want to see how much money they can bleed out of those two?

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

Ah, but did they only vote in favour because they want to see how much money they can bleed out of those two?

Somebody took the Steve Mascord article a little too seriously.  It has gone forward to the RFL for approval.

1 minute ago, bbfaz said:

Somebody took the Steve Mascord article a little too seriously.  It has gone forward to the RFL for approval.

Of course I took it seriously.  After the events of the past year and a bit I found all of it quite believable.

It's a good part of the process to include current clubs and gauge their thoughts. Even more encouraging that they were suitably impressed to overwhelmingly vote both in. A bit surprising that only 5 SL clubs were there - you'd either think they'd all go or none

1 hour ago, Damien said:

This is absolutely fantastic news. I had feared self interest would scupper their bids but it's great to see common sense prevail. Its also great that clubs can see the bigger picture and see what big well backed clubs can do for the game.

In who’s self interest would it have been favorable to scupper it?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

44 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the meltdown on the other forum ?

That'll be nothing compared to the meltdown on this forum. Ricky Wilby's on Radio 5 Sports Extra right now, talking to Dave Woods. Expect a tsunami of angry paragraphs from at least one widely-blocked TRL member.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It certainly will be nothing compared to the meltdown when the NA clubs continue to grow and grow then decide they dont want to play piddly little tinpot clubs like Wigan and Leeds in front of sub 15k crowds and start to look for clubs in more glamorous locations to replace them. 

Regardless, good news of they are successful in making a go of it. The more clubs, and countries, we get playing the game the stronger the sport will be. 

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That'll be nothing compared to the meltdown on this forum. Ricky Wilby's on Radio 5 Sports Extra right now, talking to Dave Woods. Expect a tsunami of angry paragraphs from at least one widely-blocked TRL member.

That reminds me. What's happened to Evil Homer? 

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Superb. 

There’s potential for trips to Canada, France and America through Rugby League and then there’s the added events like your Magic Weekend’s, one-off’s like Barcelona and your Finals. 

While incredibly expensive, Rugby League lets you travel and see a bit more of the world, even as a fan. 

Play rugby league, see the world. Has a good ring to it. ?

28 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

It certainly will be nothing compared to the meltdown when the NA clubs continue to grow and grow then decide they dont want to play piddly little tinpot clubs like Wigan and Leeds in front of sub 15k crowds and start to look for clubs in more glamorous locations to replace them. 

Regardless, good news of they are successful in making a go of it. The more clubs, and countries, we get playing the game the stronger the sport will be. 

To be fair I can't see NYRL being anything but a massive failure. It's run by a chancer, it's proposed stadium is expensive, and a place that the might of red bull struggles to get 15k for the much more popular sport of football. Ottawa on the other hand...

Archived