Clubs vote in favour of New York and Ottawa

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

He'll be in his bunker now cutting & pasting away.

I do find it intriguing that not one of the anti-expansion (" I'm all for expansion just done in the right way but I'm not saying what that is except it's not Ottawa, New York or TWP) group queried, answered or responded to my point about Fev once being an expansion side.

I wonder if the letters to the editor at the time were full of missives from Parky's grandad saying it would ruin the amateur sides in the area because Fev were joining the RFL and how he had nothing against professionalism but it had to be carried out correctly.

On the thread Ottawa will give TWP a Canuck side to play but NY is magically iconic even for the middle classes of Blighty.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/04/2019 at 16:45, GUBRATS said:

Can you turn a ' novice ' into a top quality RL player ? , Yes , but essentially I know of only one player who has managed to do it 

That player was Desmond Drummond , who as far as I can recall hadn't ever played the sport until he went down to Leigh to watch his brother have a trial for Leigh in a reserve match , Leigh were a player short and so they asked the 18 he old ' Dessie ' if he could make up the numbers , he was offered a contract a week later and went on to play for England 5 times and GB 24 times 

So can it be done ? Yes , but it most certainly isn't easy 

Ellery Hanley as well they aren’t a bad start. 

12 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I do find it intriguing that not one of the anti-expansion (" I'm all for expansion just done in the right way but I'm not saying what that is except it's not Ottawa, New York or TWP) group queried, answered or responded to my point about Fev once being an expansion side.

I wonder if the letters to the editor at the time were full of missives from Parky's grandad saying it would ruin the amateur sides in the area because Fev were joining the RFL and how he had nothing against professionalism but it had to be correctly.

On the thread Ottawa will give TWP a Canuck side to play but NY is magically iconic even for the middle classes of Blighty.

I'll answer your question about Fev , in the hundred years since Fev joined the RFL the world has changed , the sport then was only 25 years into its life 

17 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Ellery Hanley as well they aren’t a bad start. 

Brian Carney?

Yes it can be done and it takes a lot of effort and good attitudes on the part of the individuals involved which is yet another why NA might be huge.

Yawn players are now a fascinating prospect because of their fitness levels and physiques nowadays and that one at the Wolves should be interesting to watch when he joins them. Because it's bored me every single time I've seen it I don't know any more if there are any real prospects the way there used to be. I suspect people who like both would not look at it the same way as I do, for a variety of reasons. The demands are different and NA subjects may be a whole lot easier because they don't bring embedded bad habits to get rid of first that are all based on the erroneous assumption of the sports being related.

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Corpus Christi in Leeds.

That's what I thought , so Hanley wasn't a ' convert ' in the way it is being discussed , I assume ' Dessie ' was , because as far as I understand it , he hadn't played the game at all before that trial match at Leigh 

So my question was aimed at Bobbruce 

I was talking to a Championship club chairman and he is very much in favour of this because he thinks on the back of it those Championship and Championship 1 clubs who will survive the inevitable cull can possibly on the back of these proposed new big city clubs will be able to get new and improved sponsorships.

One thing I think we all know is that after 2021 the game of rugby league professionally in this country will be very different than it is now.

And I think that out of the current Championship and Championship 1 clubs some will sadly die,some will carry on but as amateur clubs,some will survive on their own,some will alter and amend their names and some may well do the unthinkable and amalgamate.

8 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I was talking to a Championship club chairman and he is very much in favour of this because he thinks on the back of it those Championship and Championship 1 clubs who will survive the inevitable cull can possibly on the back of these proposed new big city clubs will be able to get new and improved sponsorships.

One thing I think we all know is that after 2021 the game of rugby league professionally in this country will be very different than it is now.

And I think that out of the current Championship and Championship 1 clubs some will sadly die,some will carry on but as amateur clubs,some will survive on their own,some will alter and amend their names and some may well do the unthinkable and amalgamate.

No they won't 

9 hours ago, ojx said:

League Express is reporting that both teams will be excepted this week. One of them for 2020, the other for 2021. Which will be joining next year? my money is on Ottawa.

Great news if true.

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

Is there a sensible reason for spreading them out ?

Perhaps the thinking is that having two north american trips in the same season would be too much to ask of part-time players in L1 and their ability to get time off work? Perhaps finding two sets of players prepared to be based in North America (or at least spend months there) at the same time was felt to be an issue? 

15 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

yep Ottawa cannot fail..Perez does his homework

I can here the sound of servers whirring into action storing that post in multiple archives for re-use

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Ellery Hanley was a schoolboy Rugby League international, hardly a novice.

I may be wrong so fair enough but I thought he took the game up at 16 and was a natural. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

I may be wrong so fair enough but I thought he took the game up at 16 and was a natural. 

That's the thing with ' Dessie ' , he hadn't played rugby but he was a supreme athlete as his performances in ' Superstars ' showed , he was extremely fast but also a Judo or Karate black belt as I recall giving him an overall ability that he was able to use to develop his RL skills 

I really can't recall anybody else coming into the sport so late and achieving such a high standard 

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That's the thing with ' Dessie ' , he hadn't played rugby but he was a supreme athlete as his performances in ' Superstars ' showed , he was extremely fast but also a Judo or Karate black belt as I recall giving him an overall ability that he was able to use to develop his RL skills 

I really can't recall anybody else coming into the sport so late and achieving such a high standard 

I can't believe you're forgetting Wesley 'Two Scoops' Berry.

5 hours ago, JonM said:

Perhaps the thinking is that having two north american trips in the same season would be too much to ask of part-time players in L1 and their ability to get time off work? Perhaps finding two sets of players prepared to be based in North America (or at least spend months there) at the same time was felt to be an issue? 

I was hoping that it would be something like that but it is the RFL.

7 hours ago, Bearman said:

If either Ottowa or the NY bid is delayed I suspect they will decide to withdraw.

That may be the intention of the RFL "Look it's not our fault we just said they should wait!"

Archived