Clubs vote in favour of New York and Ottawa

26 minutes ago, PrimroseAndBlue said:

I remember the Union crowd used to be obsessed with the fact that we weren't "international" (having had a hand in that, mind).

Well, now we will.  We invented this game and now we're getting the chance to take it to the world again.

Can we expect a fresh union push in North America to ensure we don't succeed?

I would not be surprised 

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, John Rhino said:

Can we expect a fresh union push in North America to ensure we don't succeed

I think we'll see a lot more than that, but Total doesn't like us talking them and us on this bit of the forum.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 minutes ago, Chamey said:

To be fair I can't see NYRL being anything but a massive failure. It's run by a chancer, it's proposed stadium is expensive, and a place that the might of red bull struggles to get 15k for the much more popular sport of football. Ottawa on the other hand...

Imagine a side that’s 25 years old only getting 15k as an average, while they play a sport that’s considered about the 4th or 5th most popular in that country. 

I type this as I sit and watch the town in which the game of Rugby League was founded, playing an elite level of the game at a stadium, one which is within the “heartlands of the game” and has been playing the game since the 1800’s in the Northern hemisphere, in front of barely 5,500. 

As a game, we’d kill for 15k average attendances across the board. 

40 minutes ago, Chamey said:

To be fair I can't see NYRL being anything but a massive failure. It's run by a chancer, it's proposed stadium is expensive, and a place that the might of red bull struggles to get 15k for the much more popular sport of football. Ottawa on the other hand...

My guess is the Ottawa team will get a very good lease deal likely no rent but they have to split the revenue with OSEG on concessions stands such as beer etc.

1 hour ago, Chamey said:

This has been my concern, well noted, since the very beginning.    It seems to me that many of the Brits seem to become enamoured and get glassy eyes when NY is mentioned...their heads tilt and they stare off into the distance thinking of what might be....

Meanwhile, for those of us back here on Earth, its the money principles that matter.   The new Clubs must make money!   If the long term money is there growth will become quicker, gain momentum.  It is the financials that really speak....Bullpoop walks and money talks.

I think Ottawa is,by far, the better bid.   I don't know what to do with New York...I would have to see the numbers.

floating kayukas.jpg

8 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

What scares me about NY is it seems there over hyping it abit to much.

I get the feeling they have an approach of go large or go home. What if it doesn’t go large in season 1?

Both Toronto and Ottawa seem to be run on a sensible initial scale.

13 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

What scares me about NY is it seems there over hyping it abit to much.

Worst case scenario is it’s a flop and they go bust. 

Best case scenario, it’s a success, we get a Canadian/US tv deal and Rugby League takes off in Ontario and New York.

Surely it’s worth risking other people’s money on that. 

Someone may have posted the link below elsewhere but one thing it said was concerning to me:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/10/ottawa-new-york-rugby-league-2020-rfl

Super League wants to introduce guidelines which would make any new overseas side subject to further scrutiny should they subsequently gain promotion. It is understood the top flight is keen to limit overseas representation to no more than the three existing overseas clubs initially: Catalans, Toronto and Toulouse.

So if a team gains approval to league 1 and makes it to the gates of SL through promotion, they will be subjected to scrutiny. I assume that means the TV money SL clubs are getting will not be reduced by their inclusion. In other words. they need their own TV deal or an enlarged existing one based on their being added. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Worst case scenario is it’s a flop and they go bust. 

Best case scenario, it’s a success, we get a Canadian/US tv deal and Rugby League takes off in Ontario and New York.

Surely it’s worth risking other people’s money on that. 

You don't think it would do massive damage if they fold after the first year or worse case don't make it to the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, Copa said:

I get the feeling they have an approach of go large or go home. What if it doesn’t go large in season 1?

Both Toronto and Ottawa seem to be run on a sensible initial scale.

What if NY starts at 0-10 fans lose interest.

6 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Someone may have posted the link below elsewhere but one thing it said was concerning to me:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/10/ottawa-new-york-rugby-league-2020-rfl

Super League wants to introduce guidelines which would make any new overseas side subject to further scrutiny should they subsequently gain promotion. It is understood the top flight is keen to limit overseas representation to no more than the three existing overseas clubs initially: Catalans, Toronto and Toulouse.

So if a team gains approval to league 1 and makes it to the gates of SL through promotion, they will be subjected to scrutiny. I assume that means the TV money SL clubs are getting will not be reduced by their inclusion. In other words. they need their own TV deal or an enlarged existing one based on their being added. 

This is where things could get messy for NY as I could see if all 3 NA team in the SL you could see Ottawa and Toronto sharing a tv deal leaving NY out on there own.

10 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Not a problem...TV sporting money is big over here and there is lots of it!

Archived