New York and Ottawa

DavidM

Not for me i am afraid!

Toronto is a squad with next to no canadian involvement and could just as easily be based in bradford.

Expansion in anything comes when there is a good solid base from which to build....the rugby league base in this country is screaming out for some help and support....no good having a club in New York if the one we have in YORK is left to go to the wall in exchange.

I would sooner see them concentrate on fixing the issues here before playing fantasy rugby around the globe

1 hour ago, Timmy Streets scrumcap said:

Not for me i am afraid!

Toronto is a squad with next to no canadian involvement and could just as easily be based in bradford.

Expansion in anything comes when there is a good solid base from which to build....the rugby league base in this country is screaming out for some help and support....no good having a club in New York if the one we have in YORK is left to go to the wall in exchange.

I would sooner see them concentrate on fixing the issues here before playing fantasy rugby around the globe

Eh?

How can we twine about Toronto not having lots of Canadian professional players when there is only one professional club in Canada that has only been in existance since 2016? Chicken and egg situation and all that.

New York vs York (North American v Heartland) is not linked in any way. A fully funded New York / Ottawa club doesn't take any funding from the heartlands. By expanding the interest for the game and the market as a whole if the clubs are successful it will benefit the heartlands as a whole. 

If their business model is sustainable and if they pay airfare and accomodation for the UK based clubs then I'm all for it.

I guess the question from the competitors point of view is does it distort the league. If it’s like Toronto you’ve got massively cashed up teams who’ll buy to be way above this level and the rest will be running up a mountain to compete for promotion 

For me i would be happy for one or the other to be admitted, with no preference at the minute, however asking part time teams in league 1 to go to north america 2 times in a season is too much.

Hopefully the most well equipped of the 2 will be admitted in 2020 with the other held back at least 12 months.

I would like if they did use at least some locals as well as the imports as in this league you dont need to do a toronto and bring in 30 pro's to compete, surely 9 or 10 established players would be enough to finish top 5 with some talented locals

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

The championship and league one clubs vote in principle to allow NY and Ottawa clubs to enter league one next year . Final decision upcoming after finishing the feasibility study . 

Even more reason to get out of this league this season as no doubt the new teams will have massive investment amd dominate the league 

No problem with New York or Ottawa coming in , but my main gripe is our funding keeps going down , so how the hell are we supposed to be able to compete . It seems the lower League is just the stepping stone to these sort of Teams and we are the stones .How about the League getting their hands in their pockets and giving the lower League more money rather than less , and let the Super League Teams suffer for once .

Well thats the reason isn’t it. The fear is of declining support at SL level so they are seeking alternative funding sources. Imaginative or desperate or both I guess. Looking ahead though say these teams were ultimately successful and started dominating SL is that going to help crowd sizes of the traditional sides? 

Overall self funding teams increasing exposure can’t be bad . In our bubble though it totally turns our competition on its head and if you don’t get out this year then you could be facing a totally different to impossible prospect next year . That’s my problem , it can easily become a totally distorted imbalanced competition where it just isn’t anything like a fair go for teams with what they’re suddenly faced with . One team can give you an outlet still but two on the scale proposed can just lock you out 

On 12/04/2019 at 05:30, ivans82 said:

No problem with New York or Ottawa coming in , but my main gripe is our funding keeps going down , so how the hell are we supposed to be able to compete . It seems the lower League is just the stepping stone to these sort of Teams and we are the stones .How about the League getting their hands in their pockets and giving the lower League more money rather than less , and let the Super League Teams suffer for once .

There is an opportunity in all of this for the League 1/Championship sides.  It all depends where they begin.

My advice to the English fans is to follow this: "Be needy, not greedy."

That way, everybody wins.

18 hours ago, Bearintown said:

For semi pro players going over the water once, is a jolly, but twice a season? And the season after possibly? Major headache

A number of fellas, due to the expansion, won't be semi pro for long...there are real positives but I understand your point.

On 12/04/2019 at 10:30, ivans82 said:

Conversely these 2 teams in this league would instantly bring the league a much higher profile, leading to more income due to sponsorship and higher attendances. 

Be realistic,how can semi pro clubs afford the trips away,get back to good old northern rugby league and make it as strong as we can simple,bigger clubs look after the lower league clubs with more cup games like Lancashire and Yorkshire cups,if rfl got any money invest it in a A team league and give more players game time,

33 minutes ago, Town utd said:

Be realistic,how can semi pro clubs afford the trips away,get back to good old northern rugby league and make it as strong as we can simple,bigger clubs look after the lower league clubs with more cup games like Lancashire and Yorkshire cups,if rfl got any money invest it in a A team league and give more players game time,

And only Widnes leigh rochdale and swinton voted against them .if town and haven don'thim up this year it will be a lot harder next year with one or both new teams starting off. 

1 hour ago, Town utd said:

Its not costing you a cent...all expenses payed.  Plus a free trip overseas and a vacation to boot just to play some rugby in front of a large crowd....sounds like a sweet deal to me.  More players will be employed with the expansion which, in turn, opens up opportunities for others back in the heartland.  plus it gets the young kids interested in playing....

these are only some of the reasons that your club voted for it...increased revenue and opportunity for them in the end game.  SMART!

7 hours ago, Town utd said:

Yeah, that's going really well currently isn't it, the game is struggling in its traditional areas and needs to look outwards rather than inwards. 

Sad reality now is that in rugby league there is a big glass ceiling that clubs will never break. The future will be a super league consisting of the big clubs and cashed up franchises such as Toronto New York and Ottawa. Every top level sport has had to evolve to survive and proud traditional clubs have had to fall by the way side, the future of rugby union in Wales doesn't hold a place for famous clubs like Pontypridd.

We should embrace new clubs and the opportunities they bring which will only be short term for a club like ourselves

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

1 hour ago, gillmeister said:

Sad reality now is that in rugby league there is a big glass ceiling that clubs will never break. The future will be a super league consisting of the big clubs and cashed up franchises such as Toronto New York and Ottawa. Every top level sport has had to evolve to survive and proud traditional clubs have had to fall by the way side, the future of rugby union in Wales doesn't hold a place for famous clubs like Pontypridd.

We should embrace new clubs and the opportunities they bring which will only be short term for a club like ourselves

Fully agree with this, instead of saying we dont want this to happen we should be positioning ourselves as a club to take advantage of the changes and the big city names involved.

Archived