The end of leon

Sticklebricks

10 hours ago, Brookie said:

That's  the problem. The board sign the players who the coach hasn't seen play

Well the coach should’ve.

Its his job to scour the local scene for amateur talent, if he isn’t the a) what’s he getting paid for and, b) do the club just not sign any amateurs because he couldn’t be bothered to?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, town blue said:

Leon deserves total respect for his efforts in his first coaching role. How many so called experienced coaches could have achieved what he did last season on a limited budget and more or less having to start again 1/3 of the way thro the season. If you read this all the best for the future.UTT.

Limited budget?

Have you been drinking?

Still think it's the wrong decision but it's done,some of the players have let leon down and us also, karl olstrum should never play for us again the bloke is a law to himself and very disruptive(I know this will be decided anyway) since leon started he has insisted Jamie lost weight,last season he listened he was awesome this he's fatter than ever and performances show oh he asks to be put at fullback for some reason but unless he sheds a stone or maybe 2 he'll never be a fullback! All season some players have looked disinterested in a season that we were supposed to win the league,we are winning supporters back i hope it hasnt just hit a brick wall

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

3 minutes ago, anok4u said:

Still think it's the wrong decision but it's done,some of the players have let leon down and us also, karl olstrum should never play for us again the bloke is a law to himself and very disruptive(I know this will be decided anyway) since leon started he has insisted Jamie lost weight,last season he listened he was awesome this he's fatter than ever and performances show oh he asks to be put at fullback for some reason but unless he sheds a stone or maybe 2 he'll never be a fullback! All season some players have looked disinterested in a season that we were supposed to win the league,we are winning supporters back i hope it hasnt just hit a brick wall

I think there’s a lot in this . The coach takes the wrap , that’s sport . He instils the culture and the game plan . But ... he can’t instil personal discipline  and  he can’t go out onto the paddock and do the basics and manage the game for them . Some of the things we do would defy the combined coaching talents of Bellamy and Bennett . He doesn’t run into touch , knock on , run round in circles , give penalties away , get run over etc etc . He says repeatedly what he wants . Add crippling injuries  to key talent in the mix and it’s been a season that’s never got going . Personally I think only half of this is on the field and a good part frictions off it . Ultimately all that matters now is WHO and WHAT next . This league is more equal because it’s less strong . Look at the top . We are more than capable of making a mark in it . Whether we do will be determined by how everyone on n off the field reacts from now . Fascinating to see how it develops 

33 minutes ago, anok4u said:

Re Olstrum. The phrase 'innocent until proven guilty' springs to mind

11 hours ago, Town1988 said:

Get on hands and knees to jonty for me! 

Think it will take more than getting on hands and knees to get Jonty back, the BOD didn't support him when LP got shot of him did they, and he was a great servant to the club.

17 minutes ago, Brookie said:

He rocks up at training if he can be arsed it's got to have an effect on those training all the time, he's a great player but ffs enough is enough. Time to give respect to the ones that's actually giving a pro attitude.

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

23 minutes ago, Brookie said:

Not just Olstrum

2 minutes ago, anok4u said:

He rocks up at training if he can be arsed it's got to have an effect on those training all the time, he's a great player but ffs enough is enough. Time to give respect to the ones that's actually giving a pro attitude.

He is not the only player that hasn't been turning up for training is he, and he wasn't the only player that is being investigated after the Leeds game is he. 

1 hour ago, JMB said:

Think it will take more than getting on hands and knees to get Jonty back, the BOD didn't support him when LP got shot of him did they, and he was a great servant to the club.

I always thought the board were supposed to  backed the coach, 

Can’t see Leon being blamed for the spate of injuries we have and the size of our squad so clearly something else going on behind the scenes. As for him being to blame for ‘local players’ jumping ship thought that started with Clarke and the Bod and at the time I recall many on here saying good riddance.  

Anyhow I look forward to seeing all these talented ’local’ amateur players people are talking about queuing up to join us now and making the difference and are we really going to get the best from Penky now? Hope I’m wrong but I think rudderless and down on players the decline will continue and thats it for another season.

2 hours ago, JMB said:

Not just Olstrum

He is not the only player that hasn't been turning up for training is he, and he wasn't the only player that is being investigated after the Leeds game is he. 

No he’s not the only one that hasn’t been turning up for training.

Yes he is the only one getting investigated, league express got it wrong.

15 hours ago, Hate the rec said:

As a town supporter for nearly 50 years I would like to thank Leon for everything he has done in a very demanding role, he lifted our profile and got people talking and taking an interest in Workington Town that we haven't seen in years, he will have made mistakes and done the wrong things at times but he gave it a good go. He always came and shook my hand and talked to my family, good luck Leon and all the best to you and your family. 

Well put mate.

It needs someone new, someone young and exciting to match all the good, hard work the board has done to raise the club to where it is now. By appointing an old head from the amateur scene who has been here before would be a backwards step if you ask me. One thing is certain, if we continued in the same vein as we had been, we would never achieve our goals this season. Something had to change! And sadly, more often than not, its the coach that is the 'easiest' to replace.

Players like Sutton trained 3 times last week. Was named in the squad. Then at the last minute was replaced by an amateur on trial!? Whose decision was that!? He's a centre to!! Hearing Tom Curwen has had enough of training 2 or 3 times a week and getting a 10 minute stint (if at all). If things continued, we would have been at risk of being unable to raise a 17.

Said already, my shortlist would be Carl Forster, Jason Payne and Chris Thorman. All young, ambitious coaches

Archived