New York Times

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Expansion to NYC and Ottawa makes the most influential newspaper in the USA.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/sports/rugby-league-new-york.html

"Rugby league is a faster, more open version of the sport than rugby union"  says the caption on the photo.  The text also mentions the parallels between the tackle count and gridiron downs. ?

However, the underwhelming list of opponents such as Oldham, Whitehaven, Workington Town, West Wales Raiders, North Wales Crusaders and the Keighley Cougars — not a single one located in a place which New Yorkers ever heard tell of — comes in the first paragraph.  Ricky Wilby and his team have a ton of work still to do to drum up interest in the Big Apple.

23 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

"Rugby league is a faster, more open version of the sport than rugby union"  says the caption on the photo.  The text also mentions the parallels between the tackle count and gridiron downs. ?

However, the underwhelming list of opponents such as Oldham, Whitehaven, Workington Town, West Wales Raiders, North Wales Crusaders and the Keighley Cougars — not a single one located in a place which New Yorkers ever heard tell of — comes in the first paragraph.  Ricky Wilby and his team have a ton of work still to do to drum up interest in the Big Apple.

That was my thought as well when I first read the article, but even if you were to replace them with Super League teams like St Helens, Warrington, Wigan, Huddersfield, Castlefield etc. New Yorkers would never have heard of any of those places either.

3 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

That was my thought as well when I first read the article, but even if you were to replace them with Super League teams like St Helens, Warrington, Wigan, Huddersfield, Castlefield etc. New Yorkers would never have heard of any of those places either.

You need the RL spellchecker on ?

34 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Very true, none of the traditional teams will be draw cards there.  A few Canadian  cities might be the only real prospects for this model of expansion.

56 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

They will probably have heard of Wigan and Huddersfield as they've had Premier League teams recently. 

2 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

They will probably have heard of Wigan and Huddersfield as they've had Premier League teams recently. 

Only to the keenest of soccer followers.

Ok the English teams mentioned in the article will not have quickened the pulse - but surely the Americans have heard of Wales, albeit a West or North Wales - of the New York Times readers.

But I enjoyed reading the article that simply but effectively highlights the difference between RL and RU and also shows the similarity with NFL as regards the ‘downs’.

No doubt some on here would prefer to read about ‘traditional’ teams in their local paper than this item in the New York Times.

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Didn’t the Denver test also have a piece in the NY Times? Sorry to burst your bubbles but people are suddenly not going to flock to matches 

Nobody claimed it would, so why did you jump to that conclusion? Oh, of course, you're the union apologist/troll. One has to admire your persistence Barnacle, as pathetic as you are.

5 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Nobody claimed it would, so why did you jump to that conclusion? Oh, of course, you're the union apologist/troll. One has to admire your persistence Barnacle, as pathetic as you are.

I’m just saying, a mention in the NY times is not really what it is made out to be neither is it some sort of golden formula for attracting crowds 

1 minute ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

I’m just saying, a mention in the NY times is not really what it is made out to be neither is it some sort of golden formula for attracting crowds 

Have another look at the original post and the subsequent comments underneath. 

It is a link to a piece about RL in a reputable American paper on an RL forum, allowing people the opportunity to read it (I know I certainly wouldn't have done so as I don't peruse the NYT, so this link is very helpful).

Nowhere is there a mention of crowds or golden formulas by anyone in this thread.

But you went there, and your only reason for doing so was to belittle RL yet again.  

4 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Have another look at the original post and the subsequent comments underneath. 

It is a link to a piece about RL in a reputable American paper on an RL forum, allowing people the opportunity to read it (I know I certainly wouldn't have done so as I don't peruse the NYT, so this link is very helpful).

Nowhere is there a mention of crowds or golden formulas by anyone in this thread.

But you went there, and your only reason for doing so was to belittle RL yet again.  

Grow a thick skin please. I refuse to engage in fantasies so make of that what you will. One can want the best for the game without being deluded about it which does not equate to belittlement. 

I feel I made a fair point when I said that the Denver test was also in the NY Times so we shouldn’t really be setting expectations 

I live in New York and despite Yorkshire Knight being an out and out union troll with frankly weak bait, he does have a point.

Yes, the NYT is reputable and it’s great we got a mention but I guarantee it won’t bring fans. The readership aren’t the target audience for a start, it’s an interest story not an advertisement. I read an article about polish soccer the other day which was very interesting but I’ve not seen an uptick in wisla krakow shirts down 1st Ave.

The market is too swollen, the city too big and the population too indifferent for this to be a success. It’s a much better option to plough on in Canada where the idea of competing in a UK league is interesting. 

Would love to be proven wrong.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I live in New York and despite Yorkshire Knight being an out and out union troll with frankly weak bait, he does have a point.

Yes, the NYT is reputable and it’s great we got a mention but I guarantee it won’t bring fans. The readership aren’t the target audience for a start, it’s an interest story not an advertisement. I read an article about polish soccer the other day which was very interesting but I’ve not seen an uptick in wisla krakow shirts down 1st Ave.

The market is too swollen, the city too big and the population too indifferent for this to be a success. It’s a much better option to plough on in Canada where the idea of competing in a UK league is interesting. 

Would love to be proven wrong.

And again, point to where anyone said an article is going to get thousands through the gate. Nothing?

The fact is, sports that are not ingrained in big cities do struggle, for reasons you mentioned and others. We've seen this with the Broncos and London. Despite the population size and wealth, the lack of it remains a harder sell than towns a 1,000th the size of London elsewhere. New York is no different, and is actually worse as the sport is foreign to Americans. 

Maybe, instead of reaching for the pitchfork, we could see this article for what it is: publicity, and an opportunity to raise awareness, however far that reaches. 

47 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Grow a thick skin please. I refuse to engage in fantasies so make of that what you will. One can want the best for the game without being deluded about it which does not equate to belittlement. 

I feel I made a fair point when I said that the Denver test was also in the NY Times so we shouldn’t really be setting expectations 

Another of your negative comments.It's far better to have  arcticles in the media about our game than not have them, the more the better.

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

So what do we think name wise they should go with seeing as they have t decided...

New York City  Trumps.

It would be the best nickname ever, ever!

56 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

A claim no one made. Well done on winning that argument with yourself.

Hes so transparent ha ha, such a pathetic attempt by the daft troll, but it's his standard..

The article is an excellent read, New York could be a great choice as it seems to embrace new things and be open minded as a city. 

Archived