Greg Inglis announces immediate retirement from rugby league

Greg Inglis has retired from the game.

It is a sad way for one of the best players of his generation to call full time but he knows best. Good luck to him in the future.

One of the greatest sights in the game in his prime.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/greg-inglis-makes-a-call-on-his-rugby-league-playing-future/news-story/c64d2f4eb337e73ade7dbb788dd617e0

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

He's made the right decision.

Point of debate: 

In his era, Slater was a better 1, Lyon a better 3 and Lockyer, Thurston etc betters 6s.

...but if he's being compared closely with the best in the world in 3 different positions, surely that makes him something really special?

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Point of debate: 

In his era, Slater was a better 1, Lyon a better 3 and Lockyer, Thurston etc betters 6s.

I wouldn't say Lyon was a better 3 at all. On his day Inglis was unstoppable at centre.

Anyway Inglis was a fantastic player who was unstoppable before injuries began to take his toll. It's always a pity when someone has to retire but he's had a great career.

Even putting Lyon in the same conversation as Inglis is absurd. At the peak of Queensland's run, all they needed to do was go forward and sling it quickly wide to Inglis to run straight around/over whoever they put on him. He was almost unstoppable. Meanwhile, Lyon refused to even play Origin. He was a good club player absolutely, but Inglis was a monster pretty much whenever it really mattered. The best centre or winger of the 00s and early 2010s, and best fullback of the mid 2010s. He'd be in any 'best of' team I could care to name, and Lyon wouldn't even occur to me for consideration.

I feel injury etc has robbed him from being better and more consistant than he was. Unbeatable at times, but injury and other problems seemed to damage him and he has been rather hit and miss for many years. I often wonder if he had stayed at the Storm under Bellamy, if that would have been better for him mentally. I feel Sydney was not the right place for him to live and work especially with the RL Media there giving him no space.

Its not a full barometer, but how many Dally M positional awards did Inglis win?

I'd personally prefer Lyon at 3, but thats sport, people have different opinions.

Lyon was better defensively and was better with the ball, he could also kick. He's probably the best centre since Meninga. The fact that he didn't want to play NSW/Aus was a personality trait, not an ability one. Granted, Inglis was wonderful for QLD, but playing outside Thurston on that edge, i could have played ?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Point of debate: 

Lyon a better centre !! Give your head a wobble he's not even close to being in GI's class.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Lyon a better centre !! Give your head a wobble he's not even close to being in GI's class.

Any reasoning?

Quick wikipedia. Lyon was dally M centre of the year 4 years and he was Superleagues best player when he was here. International centre of the year twice in this period, too. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

A true great in the history of the game . Awesome sight in full flow , never caught from behind and a brilliant attacking weapon . One of the few players who had a genuine presence on the field which intimidated oppositions . Also a great leader and icon to indigenous people in Australia , so he transcended the game . He was a brilliant centre but had such a skill set he could excel at fullback and  at 6 if necessary . This is a shame ,  these guys going lately defined their generation 

23 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Any reasoning?

Quick wikipedia. Lyon was dally M centre of the year 4 years and he was Superleagues best player when he was here. International centre of the year twice in this period, too. 

Ive watched them both play.

Legendary.  Glad to of seen him in action a few times.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Lyon doesnt even come close to Inglis. The pace and power that Inglis had saw him for me as the best athlete to play the game. That lethal hand off just added to his ability to physically destroy forwards never mind backs. His ability as a footballer to create tries as well like the Centenary  game where he threw the ball back over his shoulder when it was more or less out for example. The amount of tries he setup for an average player in Darius Boyd for Queensland. Meninga was quality and was similar, but I think as an athlete and the devastation that Inglis caused as a player he is the best Centre I have seen.

I dont think we ever saw the best of Inglis though. I think he struggled mentally when he arrived in Sydney and struggled. His injuries added to his frustrations etc.

I think if he had stayed at Melbourne, he would have been far more consistant and he would have enjoyed life more than under the pressure of Sydney and the rabid RL Media. In Melbourne he could just be himself. The Culture of Bellamy and Melbourne I feel would have been better for Inglis and they could take him out of the spotlight better than in Sydney. The pressure of Sydney seemed to weigh on him and he hasnt looked happy like he was in Melbourne for me. The pressure to be Mr Big etc  at Souths just seemed to be too much for him.

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Lyon doesnt even come close to Inglis. The pace and power that Inglis had saw him for me as the best athlete to play the game. That lethal hand off just added to his ability to physically destroy forwards never mind backs. His ability as a footballer to create tries as well like the Centenary  game where he threw the ball back over his shoulder when it was more or less out for example. The amount of tries he setup for an average player in Darius Boyd for Queensland. Meninga was quality and was similar, but I think as an athlete and the devastation that Inglis caused as a player he is the best Centre I have seen.

I dont think we ever saw the best of Inglis though. I think he struggled mentally when he arrived in Sydney and struggled. His injuries added to his frustrations etc.

I think if he had stayed at Melbourne, he would have been far more consistant and he would have enjoyed life more than under the pressure of Sydney and the rabid RL Media. In Melbourne he could just be himself. The Culture of Bellamy and Melbourne I feel would have been better for Inglis and they could take him out of the spotlight better than in Sydney. The pressure of Sydney seemed to weigh on him and he hasnt looked happy like he was in Melbourne for me. The pressure to be Mr Big etc  at Souths just seemed to be too much for him.

Yes, I’d agree with the Melbourne connection.

I’d like to shake the blokes hand for what he’s brought to the game as well as his people.  

Some of the tries he’s scored beggared belief and only he could have scored them.

Wouldve been nice to see him go out on his own terms, but what a career to reflect on none the less.

5 hours ago, Damien said:

I wouldn't say Lyon was a better 3 at all. On his day Inglis was unstoppable at centre.

Anyway Inglis was a fantastic player who was unstoppable before injuries began to take his toll. It's always a pity when someone has to retire but he's had a great career.

Agree. Both great players, but I would have felt much happier seeing my team facing up against Lyon than Inglis.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived