Greg Inglis announces immediate retirement from rugby league

3 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

The only reason why people here don’t perhaps see the Lyon comparison because he was never seen on the big stages of the game besides of course NRL finals. I guarantee that he would be more widely considered a great had he played origin and internationals 

Well he did play 10 times for New South Wales and 8 times for Australia....

7 hours ago, MattSantos said:

He's made the right decision.

Point of debate: 

In his era, Slater was a better 1, Lyon a better 3 and Lockyer, Thurston etc betters 6s.

Lyon made himself unavailable for origin because he was sick of been run over by Inglis. 

Well that's a theory anyway. No way on earth Lyon was better then Inglis. 

In his prime there was probably no better running attacking player. 

Opinions though right, everyone's got one. 

Absolutely amazing player. He had everything. I don't think there were any players i feared playing for Australia against England more than Inglis. An absolute beast.

The game will indeed be worse off for his absence as a player. 

The only saving grace is England will never have to face a centre pairing of Greg Inglis and Latrell Mitchell.

Not sure what options Souths have at Centre, whether there is some young kid waiting for his chance, but wonder if they'll make a play for a 'name' centre to replace him. With Bennett as coach i wonder if any of Englands centres would be considered. Despite his shaky form since returning from injury maybe Kallum Watkins name might get a mention.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Isn’t it funny how Inglis and Folau began in the same brilliant side , both outstanding specimens and players ... and look how they’ve ended up on pretty much the same day in such contrasting ways .Sliding doors indeed 

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's not what you said. Sometimes it's better to just admit you were wrong rather than trying to change the argument.

Either way the premise of my point still stands in light of you being pedantic. More opportunities to impress in big games means a greater chance he would be considered one of the greats 

1 minute ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Either way the premise of my point still stands in light of you being pedantic. More opportunities to impress in big games means a greater chance he would be considered one of the greats 

Your point was completely and utterly wrong and built on sand. He played in many big games on the biggest of stages but despite this few, as this thread shows, think that he is as good as Inglis.

Your lack of knowledge of Lyon playing State of Origin and for Australia obviously means you know very little about him, and haven't even seen him play at the highest levels, to even judge the respective players.

Let's face it you tried to be controversial and troll, as you do, on a topic you know nothing about by saying the opposite of what all but one person has said. This as usual has blown up in your face and shown you for what you are, which certainly isn't a Rugby League fan.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Your point was completely and utterly wrong and built on sand. He played in many big games on the biggest of stages but despite this few, as this thread shows, think that he is as good as Inglis.

Your lack of knowledge of Lyon playing State of Origin and for Australia obviously means you know very little about him, and haven't even seen him play at the highest levels, to even judge the respective players.

Let's face it you tried to be controversial and troll, as you do, on a topic you know nothing about by saying the opposite of what all but one person has said. This as usual has blown up in your face and shown you for what you are, which certainly isn't a Rugby League fan.

We all have our own opinions. Just because mine is different doesn’t mean I am trolling or trying to be controversial. I would certainly have Jamie Lyon in my greatest team of all time along with Anthony Watmough. They were magnificent in Manly colours. So what if I got it wrong with origin? Can’t say I’m a fan of it to begin with for obvious reasons 

15 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Anyone know why he’s left mid-season? I saw him play a few weeks back and I have to say he looked well out of shape and severely lacking speed/agility.

I’m assuming he just couldn’t / didn’t want to put in the hard graft anymore.

I suspect that, on more than one occasion, he's been rushed back from injury, and the cumulative effect has brought him to a decision that it's time to put his health first.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Southerner said:

Anyone know why he’s left mid-season? I saw him play a few weeks back and I have to say he looked well out of shape and severely lacking speed/agility.

I’m assuming he just couldn’t / didn’t want to put in the hard graft anymore.

Heard he struggled a bit in Pre Season with a couple of old injuries that frustrated him. The Seibold/Bennett Saga didnt help the Pre Season. Wayne Bennett told him a couple of times go home, as mentally he was not right. So he wasnt fit really and had the old injuries that frustrated him. Bennett is on record as saying "he wouldnt play him" if he took injections to play. You could see in Game 1 he was not fit.The media calling him "fat" etc

Round 2 he was outplayed by Tim Lafei-a non Rep Player. The word is, he felt he couldnt do the job he wanted to do as he had before. The fitness and Power wasnt right. The old injuries to his knee and shoulder were stopping him be the player he was. Mentally he was all over the place. I am guessing he didnt want to pretend everything was OK and play average. No doubt the RL Media would have savaged him for not being the GI of old. I would think thats why he went away and spoke to close friends and Family. He came to the correct decision to retire now, rather than at the end of the season.

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

Lyon was a very good player , Inglis was a great . And mentioning those players in individual positions .... Inglis could play all of those positions at the top level 

I think that’s where there is a step up from just gaining representative honours.  

Balance at speed was incredible, strength to shake a tackle off or fend a head on assault even, made him stand out from the best.  

Another point not raised yet was his ability to draw defenders in to create space and point scoring opportunities for his team.  Licence to score tries if you were anywhere around him.

Archived