French Magic Weekend

TOXIII Broncos 30- 32 Avignon

St Gaudens 24-42 Palau

Albi 54-24 Villeneuve/Lot

Lezignan 18-14 Limoux

Carcassonne XIII 30-22 St Esteve

Played this last weekend in Carcassonne. Worth 4 competition points instead of 3. Format was 1 v 2, 3 v 4 et al. Carcassonne xiii were doubtful starters this year and now stand top of the pile. They're playing really well at the moment inspired by their three overseas lads the Papou Lo, Australian Anderson and Kiwi Tumusa.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

They decided tgat the games would be chosen at the halfway point of the season, so after 9 rounds. But some games where called off  in the first phase, the postponed games where only played last week, if not the fixtures would have been known over 6 weeks ago 

8 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I went to the Magic Weekend a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, with the only disappointment being the paltry attendance. What were numbers like this time around?

from what I saw in some French publications they had 300-400 listed, so not good!? Perhaps time to move to a new venue as I think it's a good idea.

I still think the FFRXIII should build this weekend around Toulouse on Saturday and Catalan on Sunday with the Elite games supporting. Narbonne's Parc des Sports would seem to be an ideal venue. Select one Elite game as the Friday Night Lights opener at a smaller venue in town, to re-create that Skolars / Thunder type occasion. Give the two big French clubs well supported opponents to add to numbers. Maybe add a Masters festival and Junior 9s, and it could be top notch event. 

9 hours ago, Heritage XIII said:

from what I saw in some French publications they had 300-400 listed, so not good!? Perhaps time to move to a new venue as I think it's a good idea.

Seems odd to have chosen the same weekend as Toques et Clochers in Limoux, which gets tens of thousands of attendees. Likewise, putting it on at the same time as a Catalans home game.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Likewise, putting it on at the same time as a Catalans home game.

RL Left arm ...have you met  TGG right arm?

Selling a Dragons Friday Magic hot ticket on the same weekend would be great.

image.png.a2bcf703363c569d90fe6fc65480ec52.png

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I still think the FFRXIII should build this weekend around Toulouse on Saturday and Catalan on Sunday with the Elite games supporting. Narbonne's Parc des Sports would seem to be an ideal venue. Select one Elite game as the Friday Night Lights opener at a smaller venue in town, to re-create that Skolars / Thunder type occasion. Give the two big French clubs well supported opponents to add to numbers. Maybe add a Masters festival and Junior 9s, and it could be top notch event. 

I agree adding the 2 largest french clubs and 2 english clubs to the mix would take the event to another level completely.

Alternatively a one day triple header with Catalans, Toulouse & Elite could be a huge day for French RL and a big incentive for Elite teams.

Catalans V Warrington/Leeds/Wigan/Saints etc

Toulouse V Bradford/Widnes/Leigh etc

Elite 1 Winner V Lord Derby Cup winner.

At Toulouse FC Stadium or a large 30k+venue.

Elsewhere Baho turned over  Villegailhenc'all-stars' in the Elite 2 Cup semi-final (Challenge Allières) 23-16. With Pia winning the other tie against Villefranche setting-up an all-Catalan Final. The Barouders were previously the reserves of the SM Pia XIII who played in Elite 1 earlier. They play out of the same ground today Stade Daniel-Ambert (5,500). Baho and VARL are leaders presently in the league with Pia just behind. The top two gave both Limoux and Lezignan a run for their money in the Lord Derby Cup recently. But neither of them have a ground like Pia have. I don't know if thats a factor today as crowds are measured mostly in the hundreds. Carcassonne and Limoux though have pulled I think 2,,000 in the Aude derby-games. Would be good to see Elite 1 climb to 12 teams again. 

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Here I was thinking this was gonna be a thread about some awesome Summer French SL Magic Round

I get your sarcasm about moving away from the OP. 

Based on my experience of it two years ago it's far from the awesome you crave, yet it really does have the potential to be one of RL's 'go to' events. Attendance wise it's not grown since 2017 so something needs to change because there's very little that's Magical about it at the moment. I posted the same idea on rugbyforumxiii a couple of years ago and the French posters were all for it. 

Archived