Breyden Williame at the RFL Disciplinary..

Given a one match penalty notice for his off the ball shoulder charge to the head of Jake Connor.

One match?

At the time I thought it was a sickening challenge, deserving of a straight red card, that could easily have caused concussion and a lengthy spell on the sidelines for Connor.

Think Williame can consider himself rather fortunate.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

22 minutes ago, barnyia said:

A couple years ago it would have been on all the highlight reels as a big hit but times have changed, 

If Connor had had the ball then maybe.

But it was a late shot, an outlawed shoulder charge, and Williame launched into it with both feet off the floor.

It was an appalling, reckless challenge.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I would have thought three games would have been the absolute minimum he would be looking at especially when you consider the kind of transgression that usually attracts a one game ban. It was a dreadful challenge.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

13 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

If Connor had had the ball then maybe.

But it was a late shot, an outlawed shoulder charge, and Williame launched into it with both feet off the floor.

It was an appalling, reckless challenge.

I'm a Dragons fan, however I totally agree. He was very lucky to not see red. Tbh it's hard to get sent off in SL. Refs are reluctant for the obvious reason of competitive games I feel. 

Game has to protect the likes of Connor, Gigot, Tomkins, Fages, Kelly etc as half backs / fbs bring the magic. 

10 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I'm a Dragons fan, however I totally agree. He was very lucky to not see red. Tbh it's hard to get sent off in SL. Refs are reluctant for the obvious reason of competitive games I feel. 

Game has to protect the likes of Connor, Gigot, Tomkins, Fages, Kelly etc as half backs / fbs bring the magic. 

You should watch the NRL . The utter cop out of onreport has made any card very rare . They’re trying to reverse that message but the onfield sanction is still woefully underused . Refs seem petrified to influence a game like that  

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

You should watch the NRL . The utter cop out of onreport has made any card very rare . They’re trying to reverse that message but the onfield sanction is still woefully underused . Refs seem petrified to influence a game like that  

Ive watched some NRL games and  agree. I do wonder what one has to do to get a red card in the NRL? 

I feel on report is a cop out and refs should make decisions more. 

1 minute ago, Southerner80 said:

Ive watched some NRL games and  agree. I do wonder what one has to do to get a red card in the NRL? 

I feel on report is a cop out and refs should make decisions more. 

I watched knights and manly earlier and Sironen smashed Ponga right round the schnoz, clear as day . Seen by ref and VR , Ponga went off in Disneyland and it went onreport .... later Fonua-Blake got binned for something much less intentional . Go figure that . I think they’re told to cop out for the games spectacle . 

4 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Doesn't look late as connor is passing the ball at the same time, 

Looks like cock eyed shoulder charge more than anything.  Not a normal tackle.  He actually leads with his right shoulder, when the obvious would be his left.

Difficult to say there was intent for a SC  but he certainly got his footwork arris about face.

Bad technique and timing, a little lower, with head the right side and an arm wrap and it's a great tackle??, but no a one match ban instead, 

As I said à couple of years ago it would be  in the highlights as a big hit 

Completely ridiculous , it's time the players , coaches , refs and administrators realised the biggest danger to the sport is the potential for serious brain damage to the players be that pro's or amateur's , just one serious injury resulting from a televised incident and you'll see participation levels drop like a stone 

I see Lineham also got just the one match , complete nonsense

It's a bad shoulder charge to the head. Not late, but we should be seeing bans of 3 to 5 games for that.

I haven't seen the Lineham one properly, but it sounds like he may be lucky.

Powell gets the lower end of Grade C (2 games) for a nasty offence he has history of. 

The disciplinary really isnt fit for purpose. I've made the point time and time again, they will go out of their way to avoid bans.

I wrote to the RFL a couple of years ago, saying the sport isn’t tough enough on dangerous play. I suggested that sooner or later someone is going to sue them for their negligence in failing to act with sufficient force against dangerous play. They didn’t reply and have continued down the same path.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Both the SL & NRL need to be tougher regarding foul play. The incident deserved a far tougher sentence. Sadly its not an isolated incident in either competition. The NRL seem to think an attempted eye gouge is worth just a A$3000 fine! A player coming in as 3rd man at the kness as happened to David Fifita is ignored. It seems the game only reacts when somebody is seriously injured. Send the message out that foul and dangerous play will not be tolerated. Maybe then such incidents would not happen. But until then players will just push the limits.

Spear tackles and head assaults need to be sorted , no excuses , it isn't ' Biff ' it's thuggery , assault and attempts to destroy somebodies life 

If we end up seeing someone put in a coma or paralysed for life due to a reckless or intentional high shot or spear the game might never recover 

Early last season, the RFL started to take a tougher stance on foul play. For example, Dec Patton rightly received a five match ban for a high shot on a Hull FC player. It was a longer ban than you would normally expect for that kind of tackle. But it was absolutely right as he made forceful contact with the opponents head. I thought we were making progress.

But slowly that has been undone with unduly lenient punishments. WIlliame's tackle was highly reckless, jumping into the "tackle" shoulder first, making direct contact with the head. Yet he gets a yellow card and a one match ban. With a video referee present I cannot see an excuse for a red card not being produced. It is even more inexcusable that a lengthy ban didn't follow.

Lineham is another case in point. He swung an arm at a player, when a try had already been scored. He missed with the arm (immaterial in my opinion) and made direct contact with the head with a shoulder, against a player who was in no position to defend himself. This was reviewed several times by the video referee and it was placed on report. Why? I thought on report was to be used where there is doubt. This incident was reviewed and clearly visible from a number of angles. It should have either have been no sanction at all or a card. And again, a one match ban.

These punishments are no deterrent at all. Especially over the Easter period. This sport needs to start taking attacks to the head seriously. I fear that it will only do so after a very serious incident.

Back in the 80's, RL in Australia was becoming like a late night car park pub brawl. Up stepped Jim Comans, handing out an 15 month ban to a Bob Cooper and 12 months to Les Boyd. The players got the message and it was soon cleaned up. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

The thing is though it isn't just the refs , as has been alluded to above by Chris 22 , they are told to crack down on dangerous play , they do it , then players start getting banned , then coaches start complaining , sorry I'll rephrase that ' High profile ' coaches start complaining , and pressure then gets put on the refs to give the benefit of the doubt , sorry but no , if you cannot keep control of yourself as we witnessed with Lineham , he ' lost it ' , you could see the anger in his eyes , then it's time for him to change his career into one where he doesn't get the opportunity to take out ' revenge ' for being outran 

The high shot , like many others ' premeditated  ' , he knew what he was trying to do , I brought this up 2 years ago , 1st game of 2017 , Leigh at Cas , Cas kick off , Hock returns the ball , Paul ( " not that sort of player " according to Barrie Mac ) McShane deliberately spears Hock into the pitch , no card , in fact Hock warned for his response as McShane dropped his elbow onto Hocks face , now you tell me that wasn't pre meditated , quite possibly by the coach telling his players to try to get Hock off the pitch as soon as they could 

It isn't just the refs , it's everybody , it's time a coach sacks one of his own for deliberate dangerous play 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's a bad shoulder charge to the head. Not late, but we should be seeing bans of 3 to 5 games for that.

I haven't seen the Lineham one properly, but it sounds like he may be lucky.

Powell gets the lower end of Grade C (2 games) for a nasty offence he has history of. 

The disciplinary really isnt fit for purpose. I've made the point time and time again, they will go out of their way to avoid bans.

What did Powell get charged with. 

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Was it the one on Fifita. I didn’t think it was him when the video was posted on here. 

It’s wasn’t that one.

Archived