Challenge Cup 6th Round draw

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s OK, I’ve started a petition

Where can we sign it, please, MoK?  A friend of mine, Mr B. L. Zebub, was asking and I had to say that didn't know!

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Some good games there. Warrington v Wigan and Bradford v Leeds should be no brainers for TV games.

Sky get involved at Round 6, so there should be 4 televised Cup Ties... and we'll still get complaints.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bulls are at Toronto the previous weekend, so fly back Monday. Don't really think it's on to have to play Leeds much before Sunday

I would guess

Thursday: Huddersfield Vs Saints (Sky)

Friday: Hull vs Castleford (Sky)

Saturday: Warrington vs Wigan (BBC 1)

Sunday : Bulls vs Leeds (BBC2)

I predict this sequence of events:

1.  Les Dracs defeat Doncaster.

2.  They get a home draw against the Dewsbury -v- Halifax tie winners, and win that.

3.  Ralph Rimmer confirms that there is a good plan in place to generate interest in the cup final at Wembley...

4.  ...I receive a cut-price tickets offer for the final...

8 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Got to feel for Doncaster...if there was ever going to be an upset in any of these matches..well, imagine them winning against the Dragons!!!

Whitehaven were drawn away to Catalans at the same stage last year and made a substantial loss from it.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Bulls are at Toronto the previous weekend, so fly back Monday. Don't really think it's on to have to play Leeds much before Sunday

I would guess

Thursday: Huddersfield Vs Saints (Sky)

Friday: Hull vs Castleford (Sky)

Saturday: Warrington vs Wigan (BBC 1)

Sunday : Bulls vs Leeds (BBC2)

A Fri night game would male genitals the attendance for the Hull/Cas match, play that on a Sat/Sunday afternoon and there would be 1500 more on the gate IMHO and a lot more Cas fans to boot. I'll predict 10.5k right now max, that's IF we are still doing ok performance wise, get some more wallopings and it won't be 5 figures.

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Absolutely. Wire v Wigan was on last year as well.

Bradford v Leeds is the tie of the round.

EVERY year they play each other, give some others a chance. 

I personally despise the seeding of the cup. It robs most lower clubs of the chance to play top teams. A major reason why crowds are down for the final.

if they want to seed it, do it the reverse way of making SL clubs play first so only 4 SL clubs can get through to play the others in the last 16. That would be far more interesting

We really dont want the dump which is presently Odsal,to be shown on national television.

For those without Sky - 90% of the BBC audience - they will want to see the Warrinton?Wigan game played in a modern stadium.Hull/Cas will be a good game but will be played in a two thirds empty ground.Similar problem with Huddersfield/Saints.

Leeds play on the Thursday after. Cant see them wanting to play on the Sunday. Would be a very short turn around for a vital game in SL.

The Bradford v Leeds game will likely be on TV. If Bradford keep charging crazy prices, then the crowd will struggle to reach 10k. They only got 1600 against Leeds Reserves team (Featherstone) on a Sunday Afternoon.

The problem with any of the games shown is that the Cup sadly doesnt draw crowds. I would go for Warrington v Wigan as one BBC game. The marketing team at Wire have done an excellent job this year. I hope they keep that up for the Cup game. Hopefully a decent crowd in a modern stadium will put the Sport in a good light-certainly better than Odslum with a few thousand rattling around it!

Sadly even Hull v Cas will likely see a couple of thousand souls lost there when it should be getting 10K. A game a few years ago was seen as a highlight and would get a good crowd.

Halifax, Widnes and Dewsbury are still in it and atleast one will make the next round. When is the games for the 1895 Cup? Would be funny if one of them somehow got to the Final of the Cup and 1895 Cup. Then what?

13 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Hull v Cas is a better game than a nostalgia fest of Bradford v Leeds, IMO.

You're massively in a minority with this opinion and that's why it will be on TV. SL v SL ties are going to be on TV in each of the following rounds without a doubt (yay more loop fixtures) - so any broadcaster with a shred of knowledge will know this is the tie of the round and rightly give it the prime slot of the weekend. 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

You're massively in a minority with this opinion and that's why it will be on TV. SL v SL ties are going to be on TV in each of the following rounds without a doubt (yay more loop fixtures) - so any broadcaster with a shred of knowledge will know this is the tie of the round and rightly give it the prime slot of the weekend. 

Your definition of “tie of the round” is clearly different from mine. 

Whilst nostalgia is great and there was not a lot better in the early 00’s than a Bradford v Leeds game in front of a packed house, times have changed. Bradford are a shell of the club they were and are fighting back and Leeds are a shell of the team they were five years ago. 

It’s only Leeds’ form in Super League that puts the outcome into some form of doubt, however, they will be pretty big favourites against a hybrid pro/semi-pro side and I’m really not sure that’s good for TV or for RL fans in general. 

7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Your definition of “tie of the round” is clearly different from mine. 

Whilst nostalgia is great and there was not a lot better in the early 00’s than a Bradford v Leeds game in front of a packed house, times have changed. Bradford are a shell of the club they were and are fighting back and Leeds are a shell of the team they were five years ago. 

It’s only Leeds’ form in Super League that puts the outcome into some form of doubt, however, they will be pretty big favourites against a hybrid pro/semi-pro side and I’m really not sure that’s good for TV or for RL fans in general. 

The standard of the 2 teams currently doesn't matter. All that will be thrown out of the window in the cup - that's the beauty of it.

Yes Leeds will most likely go on to win, but let's not pretend all SL team ties don't have the potential to be blow out scores too.

In terms of what people want to see on TV, from a neutral or general sport fan perspective, the build up will no doubt be a story of Bulls past glories and fearsome rivalry from years gone by to the Bulls (and Rhinos to an extent) recent demise, a highlights reel of former greats many of which will probably be in attendance, and a passionate Bulls crowd desperate to show their old foes they're on their way back. Tell me how that stacks up against your suggestion of Hull v Cas for the 3rd time this year? 

We talk about bringing the glory back to this once great cup and more generally about making games into big events - this has the makings of all that. 

13 hours ago, MZH said:

Am I the only one who isn't particularly interested in Warrington v Wigan? They are already playing each other 3 times this year in the league, and on current form it will be one sided.

Bradford v Leeds is a much more interesting tie imo.

I am not going to say I am not interested, and obviously I will be on the day, but we are in a crazy streak of playing them. Six times last year and it will be at least four times in 2019.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Help - my moan about repeat fixtures has been repeated...

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Nothing to see here.

1 minute ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Clearly you're joking or you're stuck in 2002!

Why not?

We see the SL teams play eachother every week.

There are a lot of angles to this one. A local derby, and all the history that comes with that. Its the first time they have met in a competitive game since Bradford's demise. Leeds are playing poorly, Bradford are going ok, so there is hope of a genuine upset. There will be a good crowd.

When the games come around, obviously Hull v Cas will be the game I am most interested in, because it's my team. But after that, this is the one I will make a point of watching.

I think I would rather the game isn't on TV. 

I don't want to risk losing any of the potential attendance unless I could be sure there was adequate recompense. I suspect this game will be of enough interest to both sets of fans, and to some neutrals, to ensure that we have a decent payday. It's a game we have little chance of winning so the financial side of things could lessen the disappointment. 

Archived