Round 7 — Hunslet

Dave Naylor

Sad that it didn't work out for Langers at Hull but great news that he chose to return to the Roughyeds.

Hope it does turn out to be a Good Friday for the Club, and the team redeem themselves for dozing off during the second half at Newcastle.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Eyrie said:

I’m a Hunslet fan and haven’t been to your ground before. Where’s the best place to park ? 

There is a car park at the ground mate, it's not massive but usually if you get there around 2ish you will get on but being Good Friday it might be busy, if you arrive early the club at the ground is open for refreshments from 12 ?.Apart from that it's on street parking around the area, if you can't get on the car park the stewards will likely know where is ok to park,just watch out for blocking drives, double yellows etc-the locals won't be too chuffed if you block um in ?

Absolutely hopeless how can we go from 28-18 to lose in the last 10 minutes. A massive turning point I thought why did we go for the two points when we was 8 points up it did nothing for the game and let the pressure of them. Why did spender throw the ball into no mans land when he was through so frustrating. But we will never learn. So many players aren’t good enough Greenwood, Holmes, Hewitt some others as well

I thought we'd lose today, gifting the opposition points in the first half was bad, and then getting into a winning position to throw it away is poor

Game management was woeful and I thought we were like rabbits in the headlights too much. 

No stronger leader in the pack I see 2020 in the international league for us. 

I think it’s time for naylor to hit the nail on the head and call it a day. His rugby is boring and he doesn’t get the team playing smart rugby. His gameplan is shocking but time to go naylor before our season goes from title favourites to not even reaching the play offs 

8 minutes ago, OLD YED said:

Bit of an over reaction above IMHO, i thought we controlled the game up until the last 10..

There was nothing left in the tank..

We didn’t control the first 10 going 12-0 down then conceding 3 tries in the last 10 minutes that’s not good enough at all. 

The melees in the second half cost us that game.  Once we went to 11 v 11 we lost our structure but Hunslet didn't.  Their game management was better than ours at that stage and they scored points.

I'm not as fed up as I was a Newcastle two weeks ago.  We''re four points off the top with 14 games to play.  We can put things right.

In my opinion the only team that has come and beaten us this season is widnes, all the others we beat ourselves by being naive and not respecting possession and field position.  As in the workington game , the opposition were put on a team warning and what did we do? Kick the two, run that all day long and if give a penalty away it's a man in the bin. Also when 8 points up why do we never utilise the drop goal? Just pure madness do we have a leader on the field??

4 hours ago, ChampagneCharlieReturns said:

In my opinion the only team that has come and beaten us this season is widnes, all the others we beat ourselves by being naive and not respecting possession and field position.  As in the workington game , the opposition were put on a team warning and what did we do? Kick the two, run that all day long and if give a penalty away it's a man in the bin. Also when 8 points up why do we never utilise the drop goal? Just pure madness do we have a leader on the field??

Spot on mate

Time to get rid of Owen and Hewitt. You can't continually blame game management and then keep picking the same captain and scrum half every week no matter how they play or how many tight games we lose. Brook to 7 to partner Bowman in the halves. Wilkinson to 9 and to play the majority of the game with Greenwood only coming on if Wilky is knackered.

Owen has been a dreadful captain. He might be an Oldham lad but he has no authority on the pitch and has no leadership skills. Hewitt is a very talented player but unfortunately very rarely actually brings that talent to the game and since his permanent signing in 2017 our record in these big games has been awful.

I still feel like we have a chance at promotion but as Naylor said a lot of these players are on the last chance now.

Well after taking stock and being so incredibly frustrated this is what I think....

The players clearly are good enough physically, to gain leads against all the "promotion" rivals has not been a problem,mentally we are fragile.

They are fit enough and can play decent stuff to get into these "winning" positions.

Now then, the problem is our end of game management is dire, why do we never just play a boring set,drill the ball out and turn sides around? It was roasting on Friday and with Hunslets big pack, surely it would drain them a bit and of course kill time. It's not just the Hunslet game either,closing out games is our Achilles heel and teams know if they chip away at us we are vunerable in tight games.

Taking 2 points with Huns on a team warning was ridiculous,that penalty should have been run all day long.

We need someone to stand up and take control of the game, Bowman is experienced enough to take the heat off Hewitt in those circumstances. In short we lack a leader, there was one standing at the game in Palf, how we could do with him at the moment. No matter what folk think of him he is a leader for sure 

Everytime a melee occurs or a side gets under our skin,we lose all sense,we look rattled and unsure of ourselves.

It's going to be a big ask now to claw back lost points away at Town and Hunslet, teams are going to take points off each other all season but we are definitely now behind the 8 ball, we can't afford many (if any) more defeats.

We desperately need a big prop,an enforcer to get amongst it when the going gets tough.

This season is rapidly becoming a "what might have been" already, just like the last 2 seasons really, we need some sort of change imho, wether that is the coach,a new game plan,different player combinations.

It's truly mystifying why we continue to throw games away like this.

Oh well, consigned to the history books now and the long trek to Wales awaits us.

Gee whizz it's never easy being a Yed is it lol ?

Up the Yeds!

16 hours ago, m brooksy said:

Time to get rid of Owen and Hewitt. You can't continually blame game management and then keep picking the same captain and scrum half every week no matter how they play or how many tight games we lose. Brook to 7 to partner Bowman in the halves. Wilkinson to 9 and to play the majority of the game with Greenwood only coming on if Wilky is knackered.

Owen has been a dreadful captain. He might be an Oldham lad but he has no authority on the pitch and has no leadership skills. Hewitt is a very talented player but unfortunately very rarely actually brings that talent to the game and since his permanent signing in 2017 our record in these big games has been awful.

I still feel like we have a chance at promotion but as Naylor said a lot of these players are on the last chance now.

Couldn’t agree more with this spot on brooksy. Wilko is our best hooker and I can’t remember when Owen last had a really good game.

Archived