Battle of the Derbies - Good Friday

Good Friday - Battle of the Derbies  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Good Friday derby?

• Wigan Warriors v St Helens
    • Hull FC v Hull Kingston Rovers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wakefield v Cas has built up to be a nice derbey in recent times.

I'd go for passion etc the main ones are

Hull v HKR

Wigan v Saints

Cas v Wakefield

Leeds v Bradford (its been bigger than the Cas v Wakey one at times but its varied a lot through the years in intensity)

Warrington v Widnes as above really

Cas v Fev can be very spicy

Think thats it for the true derbies that have a bit of niggle.

All this stuff about being a "true" derby is pretty meaningless to a neutral. Surely the important thing is which one generally throws up the better games?

Putting my bias aside I would say in recent years the better rugby tends to get played in Saints v Wigan, whereas the Hull derby is completely unpredictable and often ends in drama. The late comeback for KR with Hodgson scoring the winner, the last gasp tackle by Briscoe to deny Fox, Green's offside try, and the first game this season are all good examples.

St.Albans Centurions v Hemel Stags!

For me passion wise it's FC v KR all day long.

When you live and work in the same city as your rivals it's there all the time leading up to and post match particularly it gets intense, people you went to school with and you're divided by who you follow. One of the first things you used to get asked at work, college, school is are you FC or KR, it often comes up in conversation on the train when I come up to Hull even when it's not derby week, it's literally there all the time, every day.

Some people won't go to certain shops or part of the city because of the feelings towards the other team. You could be in the hairdressers and your loyalties will be brought up, nowhere else in rugby league is quite like that because no other teams share the same city together.

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Hull v HKR

Wigan v Saints

Cas v Wakefield

Leeds v Bradford (its been bigger than the Cas v Wakey one at times but its varied a lot through the years in intensity)

Think thats it for the true derbies that have a bit of niggle.

Town V Whitehaven must be up there surely! The amount it means to west cumbrian is huge! Battle of the Jam eaters (Whitehaven are the Jam eaters ?)

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Bradford v Leeds in its day 

Doesn’t that hold an attendance record?

That’s the point - in its day. The Leeds v Bradford derby is very much a product of the SL era. It wasn’t much before that due mainly to the fact that Leeds and Bradford were rarely doing well at the same time.

The two most reliable and persistent Derby’s are Wigan v Saints and the Hull derby imo

Didn't the term Derby come from the Earl of Derby making Wigan v St Helens the only actual derby fixture, possibly because of the proximity of both towns to his estate.

I'm sure an RL historian will be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong!

13 minutes ago, shrek said:

Didn't the term Derby come from the Earl of Derby making Wigan v St Helens the only actual derby fixture, possibly because of the proximity of both towns to his estate.

We have the same discussion on an annual basis. 

rldfsignature.jpg

18 minutes ago, shrek said:

If it was in Derby he had a big estate 

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

You do realise St Helens and Wigan are pretty close to each other right?

You do realise that what I described is what happens when you have two teams in one concentrated area, not two separate towns?

How many Wigan schools did you go to as a kid, do other kids in St Helens schools ask their mates if they support Wigan/Widnes etc? Do you go into the shops in St.Helens and start up a conversation about whether they are Wigan supporters, what about the pubs in SH, do you also stay away from parts of SH because it might have a Wigan supporter influence?

It's not the same as having the same city with two teams in it as having two teams in towns that are just 'close' together, you might like to think it is obviously.

6 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Hull v HKR

Wigan v Saints

Cas v Wakefield

Think thats it for the true derbies that have a bit of niggl

Didnt they have a spell at segregating fans at Wakey when they used to play at Belle Vue versus Cas ?. I don’t know if they ever did the same at Cas when they’ve played them there. For the Wigan/Saints game on Good Friday the Saints away end is reserved instead of unreserved. I could imagine some of the drunken Yoof  taking seats that aren’t theirs at the back of the stand, and there being a bit of a palaver if they refuse to move. I hope not ive never really understood fans getting plastered before and during a game, then they start throwing their ale everywhere. 

Through my biased eyes, Saints vs Wigan derby is bigger. The reason is that we play consistently in big matches. Our derby is a regular fixture in finals and semi-finals. They decide who win trophies. The fact that the sides have been successful means that when they play, there's usually more on the line.

That isn't to deride the Hull FC vs Hull KR rivalry. I've been to a couple at Magic Weekends and thoroughly enjoyed them, especially in the late 00's when Hull KR were a recently promoted side.

Obviously, it's Catalans Dragons -v- London Broncos, a mere eight miles apart

...sorry, a mere eight hundred miles apart..

...oh, and not always played on Good Friday.

16 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Bradford v Leeds in its day 

Doesn’t that hold an attendance record?

Apart from a few brief Super League years Leeds vs Cas has typically been the bigger derby game.

I could never really get my head around young Leeds fans ranting about how much they hated the Bulls.

OK I don't really hate Cas but until 'Unslet get their act together they're No 1.

God knows why we're playing Huddersfield on Good Friday though. Perhaps there was no one else to pair us off with.

Archived