Battle of the Derbies - Good Friday

Good Friday - Battle of the Derbies  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Good Friday derby?

• Wigan Warriors v St Helens
    • Hull FC v Hull Kingston Rovers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at attendances, viewing figures, trophies, the size of the clubs, the stadiums and the history there is only one winner. 

Wigan and St Helens have also played in numerous Semi-finals and finals over the decades, winning the derby matches often earns you a trophy and prevents the other from picking up silverware, there is always so much on the line. 

Speak to casual sports fans around the rest of the UK and they’ll likely know about Wigan v Saints but won’t even know there are two clubs in Hull.

If the Hull clubs start competing for trophies, get higher attendances and viewing figures and then sustain it for decades..... we might then have a debate. 

Currently all the Hull lot have is “but we are both from the same city”..... so? Try telling me that it’s bigger than Liverpool v United or Barca v Madrid or even Boston v New York!! 

Its a complete non contest. 

20 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Wakefield v Cas has built up to be a nice derbey in recent times.

I'd go for passion etc the main ones are

Hull v HKR

Wigan v Saints

Cas v Wakefield

Leeds v Bradford (its been bigger than the Cas v Wakey one at times but its varied a lot through the years in intensity)

Warrington v Widnes as above really

Cas v Fev can be very spicy

Think thats it for the true derbies that have a bit of niggle.

Wigan v Warrington is also one of the biggest derby matches. 

And Wigan v Leeds usually has everything on the line and the highest viewing figures for super league each season. 

Wigan and St.helens blur into one at  Billinge, Ashton Haydock, Garswood Downall Green.

Half of Haydock has Wigan phone numbers other St.Helens. Billinge cut in two by the Wigan St.Helens boundry. I don't think people realise how close the two towns are.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

19 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Ok, so from the comments I think we all agree the biggest and best match is..........

Town V the Jam!!

Thread closed.

?

Agreed 

20 hours ago, Sparse Attendance said:
On 16/04/2019 at 14:15, Kirmonds pouch said:

Wakefield v Cas has built up to be a nice derbey in recent times.

I'd go for passion etc the main ones are

Hull v HKR

Wigan v Saints

Cas v Wakefield

Leeds v Bradford (its been bigger than the Cas v Wakey one at times but its varied a lot through the years in intensity)

Warrington v Widnes as above really

Cas v Fev can be very spicy

Think thats it for the true derbies that have a bit of niggl

Didnt they have a spell at segregating fans at Wakey when they used to play at Belle Vue versus Cas ?. I don’t know if they ever did the same at Cas when they’ve played them there. For the Wigan/Saints game on Good Friday the Saints away end is reserved instead of unreserved. I could imagine some of the drunken Yoof  taking seats that aren’t theirs at the back of the stand, and there being a bit of a palaver if they refuse to move. I hope not ive never really understood fans getting plastered before and during a game, then they start throwing their ale everywhere. 

Still do - however we segregate all fans now - due mainly to BV being a 3 sided ground which doesn’t lend itself to natural segregation.

6 hours ago, Cdd said:

Try telling me that it’s bigger than Liverpool v United or Barca v Madrid or even Boston v New York!! 

Its a complete non contest. 

What an absolutely ridiculous argument. None of those games are derbies. Unless you’re now claiming it’s a North West derby or a Spanish derby or an American derby.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Still do - however we segregate all fans now - due mainly to BV being a 3 sided ground which doesn’t lend itself to natural segregation.

Ah right i see. Although im a fan of new stadium’s (especially if a club has their own), it seems RL fan’s are getting segregated more & more and gone are the days of standing on the terraces with fans from the opposite side. 

5 hours ago, Padge said:

Wigan and St.helens blur into one at  Billinge, Ashton Haydock, Garswood Downall Green.

Half of Haydock has Wigan phone numbers other St.Helens. Billinge cut in two by the Wigan St.Helens boundry. I don't think people realise how close the two towns are.

Correct and many from both towns live and work behind enemy lines.

1 hour ago, Sparse Attendance said:

Ah right i see. Although im a fan of new stadium’s (especially if a club has their own), it seems RL fan’s are getting segregated more & more and gone are the days of standing on the terraces with fans from the opposite side. 

To be fair it’s a very mild segregation, fans still mix. It only Leeds and Cas where they really enforce it. Even then any crowd issues that have occurred through the years have been tiny by football standards. It just a precaution.

On 16/04/2019 at 22:08, Chris22 said:

Through my biased eyes, Saints vs Wigan derby is bigger. The reason is that we play consistently in big matches. Our derby is a regular fixture in finals and semi-finals. They decide who win trophies. The fact that the sides have been successful means that when they play, there's usually more on the line.

That isn't to deride the Hull FC vs Hull KR rivalry. I've been to a couple at Magic Weekends and thoroughly enjoyed them, especially in the late 00's when Hull KR were a recently promoted side.

Step back in time to the early eighties and you can swap the two games around. Hull and Rovers fought for the major trophies, Wigan and Saints won next to nowt.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

I’d like to know why, when both matches are played on the same day,, Sky rarely, if ever, send/sent their main commentators to the Hull derby? 

I think it tells you how they'd vote in this poll.

In the SL era, there's usually more riding on the Lancs game than the Hull Derby as both Wigan and Saints are usually in the mix at the right end of the table.

It doesn't bother me one jot, even though the Hull game turned into a bit of a rout, the atmosphere was still very intense and passionate all the way through.

In fact, it probably reached fever pitch in the North East corner, thanks to the encroaching Hull KR fans who fancied a dance and a wave to the nearest Hull fans.

I doubt the Lancs lot will ever experience anything quite like that.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

I’d like to know why, when both matches are played on the same day,, Sky rarely, if ever, send/sent their main commentators to the Hull derby? 

I'm a complete neutral in this, but standard for Sky in any sport is to have the main bulk of production at "game 2s" ground anyway. As for RL, Saints v Wigan has been a top quality clash for years even if Wigan have started poorly and are two of the games best known teams. Neither of the Hull clubs have been able to knock one or both of those teams off their perch at the top of the league.

Fwiw I enjoy both. 

Also just thought could the Hull derby being an early kickoff be a police suggestion? I genuinely don't know so please don't take it the wrong way.

Disappointing to see no mention of yesterday's games on the BBC News sports section this morning. 15 mins and a multitude of sports covered, including obscure events like the World coal carrying championships, but no mention of some great Super League games in front of big crowds. The sport cant get a break sometimes.

I enjoyed both derbies yesterday on tv, all 4 clubs should be proud of the great turnout and atmosphere, for me the buzz of the hull one just seemed to have the edge, it was lovely to see a packed stadium pre kick off with both sets of fans in good voice, had the feel of a challenge cup semi final to it

Archived