Battle of the Derbies - Good Friday

Good Friday - Battle of the Derbies  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Good Friday derby?

• Wigan Warriors v St Helens
    • Hull FC v Hull Kingston Rovers

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Who cares? Genuinely, who’s bothered about what is the “best” derby? How do you even measure that, anyway? 

Spot on!!  I'm an FC fan and couldn't care less about being the one true Derby, the biggest Derby and or any other Derby. Seems like a dick measuring contest to me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Hull or Rovers. None of this FC or KR carp.

Absolutely spot on pal. ☝️

I hate us being known as "FC".

"Football Club" FFS, how did that even come about?, I blame Richard Tingle from the Dull Daily Wail, might not have been him though.

("FC" I mean, not "Football Club", I know all about that.)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:19, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

You do realise that what I described is what happens when you have two teams in one concentrated area, not two separate towns?

How many Wigan schools did you go to as a kid, do other kids in St Helens schools ask their mates if they support Wigan/Widnes etc? Do you go into the shops in St.Helens and start up a conversation about whether they are Wigan supporters, what about the pubs in SH, do you also stay away from parts of SH because it might have a Wigan supporter influence?

It's not the same as having the same city with two teams in it as having two teams in towns that are just 'close' together, you might like to think it is obviously.

Billinge.  That is the village containing the border between Wigan and St Helens.  

14 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Billinge.  That is the village containing the border between Wigan and St Helens.  

Just google earthed Billinge. Just how far does the Wigan town boundary stretch? It seems a fair hike from Wigan. Or do you mean Wigan MBC?

rldfsignature.jpg

48 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

People who don’t live in either Wigan or St Helens will struggle to realise how close the towns are. 

I live in Ashton and there’s loads of saints fans round here, I went to school with saints fans, I go to church in St Helens, i’ve worked with saints fans.... but these are apparently only experiences Hull fans get. It makes no sense. 

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again.... when the Hull derby can pull crowds like Wigan v Saints, when they can get viewing figures that are comparable and when they can compete for trophies regularly then maybe i’ll start to consider this a debate. 

Ask any none Hull based fan and I reckon you’ll find most will say Wigan v Saints is the bigger derby. 

We’ve even got Lord Derby to back us up.

1 minute ago, Cdd said:

People who don’t live in either Wigan or St Helens will struggle to realise how close the towns are. 

I live in Ashton and there’s loads of saints fans round here, I went to school with saints fans, I go to church in St Helens, i’ve worked with saints fans.... but these are apparently only experiences Hull fans get. It makes no sense. 

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again.... when the Hull derby can pull crowds like Wigan v Saints, when they can get viewing figures that are comparable and when they can compete for trophies regularly then maybe i’ll start to consider this a debate. 

Ask any none Hull based fan and I reckon you’ll find most will say Wigan v Saints is the bigger derby. 

We’ve even got Lord Derby to back us up.

No. Rovers’ fans experience it too.

rldfsignature.jpg

On 17/04/2019 at 10:27, Cdd said:

Currently all the Hull lot have is “but we are both from the same city”..... so? Try telling me that it’s bigger than Liverpool v United or Barca v Madrid or even Boston v New York!! 

Not quite sure I understand this.

Are Liverpool and United from the same city?, Barca and Madrid?, Boston and New York?

28 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Not quite sure I understand this.

Are Liverpool and United from the same city?, Barca and Madrid?, Boston and New York?

No they’re not.... but teams don’t have to be from the same city or town for it to be considered a derby. I don’t understand why people from Hull have put this made up criteria in place. 

Wigan v Saints is the biggest derby in RL and the poll backs it up much to the dismay of Hull and KR fans who have nothing else to look forward to.

6 minutes ago, Cdd said:

No they’re not.... but teams don’t have to be from the same city or town for it to be considered a derby. I don’t understand why people from Hull have put this made up criteria in place. 

Wigan v Saints is the biggest derby in RL and the poll backs it up much to the dismay of Hull and KR fans who have nothing else to look forward to.

Ah, now I understand the first bit, thanks for the explanation.

And thanks for the second bit because it seems to prove that you have an RLFans mindset in your approach to forums.

You're not happy unless you're belittling other posters.

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

I made a similar comment but never got a reply.

I wouldn't bother getting involved if I were you.

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Absolutely spot on pal. ☝️

I hate us being known as "FC".

"Football Club" FFS, how did that even come about?, I blame Richard Tingle from the Dull Daily Wail, might not have been him though.

("FC" I mean, not "Football Club", I know all about that.)

Sounds much better when called Hull rather than FC. Sky seem obsessed with the FC tag.

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Ah, now I understand the first bit, thanks for the explanation.

And thanks for the second bit because it seems to prove that you have an RLFans mindset in your approach to forums.

You're not happy unless you're belittling other posters.

If you base your opinion of me on that one post I can understand how you could come to that conclusion....

But the majority of my posts are generally about expansion and my likes to posts ratio is exemplary!

I still think my original point stands that fans from Hull don’t have a lot else to shout about so they get giddy around Good Friday every year because they want to be seen as bigger than they are. Just my opinion.  

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Is Watford v Millwall classed as a derby?

That's a first, Millwall immediately followed by the word class.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

1 hour ago, Cdd said:

I still think my original point stands that fans from Hull don’t have a lot else to shout about so they get giddy around Good Friday every year because they want to be seen as bigger than they are. Just my opinion.  

Have a real good look back through this thread. It was started by Costa, who aint from Hull, inspired by a Wigan fan who initiated it by saying their match v Saints is bigger, and the majority of posts suggesting the Hull derby had better atmosphere are from neutrals. I even suggested that the Lancs derby is usually better as it's nearly always a more important game. 

As far as I can see from this thread, no RL fans from Hull get "giddy" every Good Friday, we've just responded to a thread question.

Obviously I can't speak for our Hull KR friends as most seem to have disappeared since yesterday afternoon...

On 20/04/2019 at 08:06, Old Frightful said:

I think it tells you how they'd vote in this poll.

In the SL era, there's usually more riding on the Lancs game than the Hull Derby as both Wigan and Saints are usually in the mix at the right end of the table.

It doesn't bother me one jot, even though the Hull game turned into a bit of a rout, the atmosphere was still very intense and passionate all the way through.

In fact, it probably reached fever pitch in the North East corner, thanks to the encroaching Hull KR fans who fancied a dance and a wave to the nearest Hull fans.

I doubt the Lancs lot will ever experience anything quite like that.

It was rather "volatile" to say the least. Nice of them to share their beer with us on such a warm day though.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 20/04/2019 at 12:16, Cdd said:

well it ain't a derby... United v Liverpool.... it may well be bitter rivalry (although how one can get bitter for any sport is beyond me but for some its very bitter). Due to the huge historical success each team have had.

Obviously the Derby is Liverpool v Everton  or United v City.... Otherwise your be telling me City v Everton is a derby or United v Everton is a derby.

I'm still waiting for Cdd to read the thread through properly this time and then accept that RL fans from Hull weren't the ones suggesting that their derby is bigger or better.

1 minute ago, gittinsfan said:

A derby win is just as important for Batley and Dewsbury fans as it is for Saints and Wigan fans.

I appreciate there are a few thousand more of the latter.

From a Wigan perspective, I would say it starts to even out with about ten minutes to go...

Archived