Good Friday

blackknight

45 minutes ago, blackknight said:

Me and a few others wil be coming by train on Good Friday.  Can anyone recommend a real ale pub near ground/station for a pre match drink? 

Not much in the way of 'real ale' pubs nearby. The Bradley Arms which normally has 2 or 3 real ales on, is a good 20-30mins walk - walk away from the centre of Fev towards Cas (you can hop on a bus from just outside the station if one's due, opposite side of the road if you're coming from Wakefield direction) but it has been closed for a while and may still be so I'd check before venturing. Just outside the station is Last Orders which I think does (or did the last time I was in) sell hand pulled beer (John Smith's!!) and about 100yds away is the Featherstone Hotel which had Black Sheep on the last time I was in. There are also the White House (Sam Smith's), The Junction and The Travellers (not sure what the last 2 sell) - head through the centre and out towards Pontefract, all 3 are on the main road, A645. Pontefract itself has a few more that do real ale (Robin Hood, Tap and Barrel, Blue Bell and a Wetherspoons close to the centre and close to Monkhill Station is the Hope and Anchor) but you would need to extend or break your journey. The Rovers clubhouse also sells hand pulled Theakstones 

59 minutes ago, blackknight said:

Me and a few others wil be coming by train on Good Friday.  Can anyone recommend a real ale pub near ground/station for a pre match drink? 

If you really want some real ale I'd be tempted to get the train to Pontefract (Monkhill). After coming out off the platform cross the car park diagonally left, go down the steps and turn right. Walk past the Railway to the Hope and Anchor at the end of the road. You can either stay there until game time (train to Fev at about 18.42 from Monkhill) or walk into town to sample the others. From the Tap and Barrel it's a couple of mins, and from the Robin Hood about 5mins, walk out of town down the dual carriageway to Tanshelf station for the train at 18.44.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

If you really want some real ale I'd be tempted to get the train to Pontefract (Monkhill). After coming out off the platform cross the car park diagonally left, go down the steps and turn right. Walk past the Railway to the Hope and Anchor at the end of the road. You can either stay there until game time (train to Fev at about 18.42 from Monkhill) or walk into town to sample the others. From the Tap and Barrel it's a couple of mins, and from the Robin Hood about 5mins, walk out of town down the dual carriageway to Tanshelf station for the train at 18.44.

Game kicks off 1800.

20 hours ago, blackknight said:

I would defo recommend the Robin Hood in Pontefract and then get the bus for the last 2 miles of your journey.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

20 hours ago, blackknight said:

your better off getting off the train in Ponte and get to the Golden Ball opposite the bus station we will all be in there from 12 bells

4 hours ago, gingdong said:

your better off getting off the train in Ponte and get to the Golden Ball opposite the bus station we will all be in there from 12 bells

Yes I usually start in the Golden Ball ( Fev Rovers Pub to those who don’t know) then walk down to the White House in Fev ( Sam Smiths Pub , love the Taddy Lager )  then go to the Club Bar ( Cappers bar ) an hour before kick off but will visit the Last Orders Inn to catch the second half of the Leeds v Wigan match at 4 ( must win game). No real ale pubs but good cheap lager.

3 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

Yes I usually start in the Golden Ball ( Fev Rovers Pub to those who don’t know) then walk down to the White House in Fev ( Sam Smiths Pub , love the Taddy Lager )  then go to the Club Bar ( Cappers bar ) an hour before kick off but will visit the Last Orders Inn to catch the second half of the Leeds v Wigan match at 4 ( must win game). No real ale pubs but good cheap lager.

3 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

What,3 pints in each?

You're a better man than me LOL

12 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

What,3 pints in each?

You're a better man than me LOL

Yes its the only thing the Working class have got left a good wet , a bet on the gee gees and let your frustrations out at a game and long may it continue.

16 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Thanks for your reply ,its a bit too quiet on here at the moment.Dont know if its Apathy , people on holiday or what .

Yeah it seems quiet. I'm at the match now and it looks like it'll be a decent crowd. Bit of a carnival atmosphere. 

Archived