Fri 19 Apr: The Betfred League 1 Good Friday Match Thread

16 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Cru 70 Raiders 8 says it all, really. The Raiders tried hard and had a decent patch at the start of the second half, but they were outclassed by a Cru side that AT LAST showed what they're capable of. Hopefully this is the start of something better. 283 of us there in brilliant sunny weather. 

First time at the queensway stadium and I really enjoyed it, a good set up there and just need to get the fans through the gates.

Hard luck on west wales, they've got the making of a decent team. Their no.7 had some silky skills and the fullback stood out despite the score. The hooker had a bit of a shocker and the defence either side of the props let a lot of line breaks through 

31 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Cru 70 Raiders 8 says it all, really. The Raiders tried hard and had a decent patch at the start of the second half, but they were outclassed by a Cru side that AT LAST showed what they're capable of. Hopefully this is the start of something better. 283 of us there in brilliant sunny weather. 

^^This, in a nutshell. Apart from a couple of wayward passes we did very well all-round today, goal-line D was particularly good. You could see the improvement in WWR over last year, keep digging in boys, a win will come ?

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Menzie Yere scores again for Donny but they went down to Keighley - good win for them

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Hughsehhh said:

First time at the queensway stadium and I really enjoyed it, a good set up there and just need to get the fans through the gates.

Hard luck on west wales, they've got the making of a decent team. Their no.7 had some silky skills and the fullback stood out despite the score. The hooker had a bit of a shocker and the defence either side of the props let a lot of line breaks through 

Glad you enjoyed the game Hugh and hopefully you’ll return. Raiders had a twenty minute spell where they controlled the game and looked dangerous in attack. Unfortunately some shocking mistackles let them down.

i was talking to one of their officials before the game and they’ve been let down by a couple of Aussies who’ve jumped ship and signed for Skolars a couple of days ago. Now I know they aren’t the best of teams but the players knew the score before they signed. For them to play a couple of games to put themselves in the shop window then run is not on in my book. They should have seen the season out.

Devastating loss for the Bears against Skolars. 24-12 down with about 15 mins to go the game looked dead and buried. Bears fought back and led 28-24 with a minute to go. Skolars scored at the death and to rub salt in the wound the conversion bounced in off the post. 

It's a game where Bears didn't play that well but did more than enough to win. Skolars didn't look great but got the win in the end so well done to them.

16 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Devastating loss for the Bears against Skolars. 24-12 down with about 15 mins to go the game looked dead and buried. Bears fought back and led 28-24 with a minute to go. Skolars scored at the death and to rub salt in the wound the conversion bounced in off the post. 

It's a game where Bears didn't play that well but did more than enough to win. Skolars didn't look great but got the win in the end so well done to them.

TBH it was two poor teams with lack of control. lots of mistakes but some great tries from both sides. Eliott Hall ex Skolar came back to haunt his old team. skolars last try was the highlight of the game tho. wish the rest of the game had been as good. blowing 12 point leads twice by skolars was poor but coventry did really well to fight back and take a lead that should have been enough. 

15 hours ago, FearNothing said:

^^This, in a nutshell. Apart from a couple of wayward passes we did very well all-round today, goal-line D was particularly good. You could see the improvement in WWR over last year, keep digging in boys, a win will come ?

Out of curiosity, do you know if the Raiders ran out of interchanges towards the end of the game - their 20 in particular was in serious grief and should have come off.

15 hours ago, IM2 said:

TBH it was two poor teams with lack of control. lots of mistakes but some great tries from both sides. Eliott Hall ex Skolar came back to haunt his old team. skolars last try was the highlight of the game tho. wish the rest of the game had been as good. blowing 12 point leads twice by skolars was poor but coventry did really well to fight back and take a lead that should have been enough. 

Do you mean poor control in terms of discipline or ball control or both IM? These seem to be an enduring problem. I take it as positive we didn’t lose our heads and continued attacking. 

9 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Out of curiosity, do you know if the Raiders ran out of interchanges towards the end of the game - their 20 in particular was in serious grief and should have come off.

Don't know tbh, their 22 was shook up a couple of times but scored their second.

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

21 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Do you mean poor control in terms of discipline or ball control or both IM? These seem to be an enduring problem. I take it as positive we didn’t lose our heads and continued attacking. 

Not discipline just ability to close out games like this. fantastic last try tho and a kick in off the posts to win it

On 19/04/2019 at 17:53, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

I replied to this yesterday,or thought I had,but it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

Congratulations to Mr Murray,and Crusaders,on a good performance,and a team display similar to Keighley who beat us in the previous game.

We got off to a loser when the team coach arrived late on the hottest day of the year,and the kick off was slightly delayed.

Ben Stead showed his professionalism by warming up kicking from the tee.I like to see that,and it was rewarded,of course,during the game.

Your new signing fitted in well and formed a good combination on the right side.

Our 2 new signings,that were announced on the same night,were not in attendance and we had a few injured players;starting the game and during the game.

It's tough going at the moment.I would appreciate an experienced player wanting to come and help out the heroic young Welsh lads.

Having Stephen Wild,with his Super League experience playing in a Challenge Cup Final with Huddersfield Giants and captaining Salford,during tough times on and off the field,must benefit Crusaders - and younger players.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived