Thu 18 Apr: SL: London Broncos v Catalans Dragons KO 7.45pm

Who will win?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• London Broncos
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/04/19 at 18:45

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s really not pathetic. 

Given the Broncos do little to no marketing or advertising, the choice of day and kick-off time, the profile of the game in London, the fact that two London based clubs were playing a European Football Quarter Final, tickets were full price (£23) and Broncos’ attendances this year, a 1,200 crowd would be a success. 

Totally agree.  23 isn't cheap for what is a game in a not so great stadium. And you can't underestimate the secondary spend too. I spent 23 on a ticket, 3 on a programme and another 13 on a bag and a hat for my son and daughter. 

They did OK with this one crowd wise. 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s not even a stadium. £23 is crazy. Should be half that, tops

Yep. People should pay £11 so you can see full time athletes getting stretchered off because it's not as good as watching a rom com at the Odeon and so should cost less. 

How's it working for those super league clubs who butchered their attendances with offers and now can't charge full price?

Btw, a season ticket is £120 for 13 games, so well less than half of the door price. 

4 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Yep. People should pay £11 so you can see full time athletes getting stretchered off because it's not as good as watching a rom com at the Odeon and so should cost less. 

How's it working for those super league clubs who butchered their attendances with offers and now can't charge full price?

Btw, a season ticket is £120 for 13 games, so well less than half of the door price. 

I pay £17 to stand at an EFL football ground in London with a better view.

£23 at Ealing is mental. 

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s not even a stadium. £23 is crazy. Should be half that, tops

Ealing Trailfinders charge 20 quid a match for second tier rugby in the same stadium, and the cheapest ticket for Quins-Leicester is about 40 quid. So 23 quid for top tier rugby league in London is good value. That said, the stadium could be much better - I couldn't see anything last time I stood on the open side so it's a seat or nowt for me from now on. Happy to pay 23 for a seat at Trailfinders but I wouldn't pay anything to stand there. 

Just now, Toby Chopra said:

Ealing Trailfinders charge 20 quid a match for second tier rugby in the same stadium, and the cheapest ticket for Quins-Leicester is about 40 quid. So 23 quid for top tier rugby league in London is good value. That said, the stadium could be much better - I couldn't see anything last time I stood on the open side so it's a seat or nowt for me from now on. Happy to pay 23 for a seat at Trailfinders but I wouldn't pay anything to stand there. 

Can’t agree it’s good value given the facilities. 

I can see why they’ve charged £23 because away fans will pay it (if not Londoners) but they really ought to have reduced it for Catalans as other clubs do for that fixture.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I can see why they’ve charged £23 because away fans will pay it (if not Londoners) but they really ought to have reduced it for Catalans as other clubs do for that fixture.

It's tempting to micromanage like that but I tend to think if you chop and change your prices too much it suggests you're not confident in your product. You'll never convince anyone you're providing top class sport if you're only charging 11 quid and you risk undercutting your season ticket holders too. 

If they wanted to do a promotion, they'd have been better off offering a free child's ticket with every full price adult one, given its school hols and a bank holiday the day after. 

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I don't think reducing the price would have upped the attendance. It would just mean lost revenue.

RL isn't that popular in London, sadly so even cheap tickets wont change that.

I may have been one of maybe 50 who went just to see the Dragons and for other fans who aren't season ticket holders they got to see Kasiano, Tomkins and Gigot who are all clear star turns in SL and well worth seeing live. 

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's tempting to micromanage like that but I tend to think if you chop and change your prices too much it suggests you're not confident in your product. You'll never convince anyone you're providing top class sport if you're only charging 11 quid and you risk undercutting your season ticket holders too. 

If they wanted to do a promotion, they'd have been better off offering a free child's ticket with every full price adult one, given its school hols and a bank holiday the day after. 

£11 wouldn’t undercut season ticket holders, not mine anyway. 

I paid £10 to see Warrington v Catalans at the HJ. Supply and demand, innit.

Opportunity missed by the Broncos, but then again it seems to be run on an almost amateur-like shoestring, so perhaps no surprise 

3 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I don't think reducing the price would have upped the attendance. It would just mean lost revenue.

RL isn't that popular in London, sadly so even cheap tickets wont change that.

I may have been one of maybe 50 who went just to see the Dragons and for other fans who aren't season ticket holders they got to see Kasiano, Tomkins and Gigot who are all clear star turns in SL and well worth seeing live. 

Memories are short on here. They have got some very respectable crowds in Super League in the past

3 hours ago, nadera78 said:

The size difference was remarkable, and that was before Kasiano entered the field. Every set Catalans made big metres, just wearing the Broncos down. The Broncos always go wide because they simply don't have the size to go down the middle. The result seemed inevitable, even in the first half when both teams had chances, London need every single player to be playing at the top of his game to stand a chance against even the weakest SL teams. If Hughes wants anything other than relegation then he needs to add some size to this team.

As to the incident on Abdull - it was right in front of me, I had a perfect view of it. The hit from Moa was late, it was deliberately aimed at the head, and it was against a defenceless man. A cowardly attack. What's worse is that the ref wasn't going to do anything about it at all, he only got involved because Pelissier went after Moa and he was forced to stop the game. None of the touchies did anything, as usual, they seem to exist simply to run up and down the wing. And when the ref was forced to get involved he bottled it, giving a yellow card each way. Even then Bird and Tomkins were in his ear.

Moa needs to be banned, but that doesn't help London who really missed Abdull last night and will probably continue to for a few weeks yet.

Moa knew exactly what he was doing.  He has history but iirc, when he clattered Gareth Ellis in the same fashion, the Discipliplinary amazingly mentioned Ellis should have braced for impact.

You can count on one hand the times I’ve bagged a player on here, but we want to see good football, not this.

Credit to Cats not not cutting it out in this clip.

http://www.catalansdragons.com/en/articles-45/181-6968-highlights-londres-vs-dragons-catalans-r11/

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Memories are short on here. They have got some very respectable crowds in Super League in the past

Genuine question when was the last season they were averaging over 4,000 a home game over a season? 

I'm guessing pre Name change (Harlequins) then change back era and likely at Charlton? 

39 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

£23 for the unpopular and largely ignored code of Rugby at a ground that is akin to a non-league football ground is not good value at all. 

22 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

£11 wouldn’t undercut season ticket holders, not mine anyway. 

I paid £10 to see Warrington v Catalans at the HJ. Supply and demand, innit.

Opportunity missed by the Broncos, but then again it seems to be run on an almost amateur-like shoestring, so perhaps no surprise 

I think in London to cut prices would not make sense as just devalues the product to an audience who are not RL natives in a way Up North is. 

Wire is heartlands so the relationship is different. I don't feel in London being cheaper would have made a difference to the gate. 

1 minute ago, Southerner80 said:

I think in London to cut prices would not make sense as just devalues the product to an audience who are not RL natives in a way Up North is. 

Wire is heartlands so the relationship is different. I don't feel in London being cheaper would have made a difference to the gate. 

You seriously don’t believe charging £23 to watch in a glorified training ground is a factor in the gate barely reaching four figures?

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

You seriously don’t believe charging £23 to watch in a glorified training ground is a factor in the gate barely reaching four figures?

No as if you made it half price I don't see alot more people coming and you effectively reduce income and devalue the product for people in future. 

RL is a niche sport in London sadly. Particularly at club level. That the glamour of Wigan who are a huge name in RL can't sell out Trailfinders twice over for their game there speaks volumes. 

Maybe you get another 200 people if that for going half Price v Dragons , yet loose alot of revenue. Wakefield and some others have done cheap tickets and I don't think it actually helped them.

I would not have been able to talk any mates into going even if it was free as RL just isn't their thing. 

Internationals are the medium for the casual or non fan to engage with a sport they aren't into. 

5 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

No as if you made it half price I don't see alot more people coming and you effectively reduce income and devalue the product for people in future. 

RL is a niche sport in London sadly. Particularly at club level. That the glamour of Wigan who are a huge name in RL can't sell out Trailfinders twice over for their game there speaks volumes. 

Maybe you get another 200 people if that for going half Price v Dragons , yet loose alot of revenue. Wakefield and some others have done cheap tickets and I don't think it actually helped them.

I would not have been able to talk any mates into going even if it was free as RL just isn't their thing. 

Internationals are the medium for the casual or non fan to engage with a sport they aren't into. 

Can’t agree, sorry. 

Many of those at Ealing last night would have been ST holders, so the impact on revenue would have been tiny. 

Warrington had a successful promotion for their home game against London designed to attract new fans. I guess London can’t be bothered. 

53 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Nope.

If it was free do you think there would be 5k? Are there 4k people not going just because they think it is worth £5 less?

Londoners aren't as price conscious. 

There are plenty of early bird and season ticket deals. 

42 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Can’t agree, sorry. 

Many of those at Ealing last night would have been ST holders, so the impact on revenue would have been tiny. 

Warrington had a successful promotion for their home game against London designed to attract new fans. I guess London can’t be bothered. 

Not sure why you would compare a rugby league town with a club that can get 10k to 12k to London.

The flipside are teams like Leeds Carnegie. If only they cut prices then they would get more than 1,500.

It is that simple.

18 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Not sure why you would compare a rugby league town with a club that can get 10k to 12k to London.

The flipside are teams like Leeds Carnegie. If only they cut prices then they would get more than 1,500.

It is that simple.

Why not charge £50? It’s top flight rugby. Londoners aren’t price conscious 

22 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

London used to get decent crowds though, right?

There are a lot of other clubs that used to get better attendances too.

What goes up, goes down; sooner or later.

12 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Genuine question when was the last season they were averaging over 4,000 a home game over a season? 

I'm guessing pre Name change (Harlequins) then change back era and likely at Charlton? 

If you go here, you can see top flight London attendances back to 1981.

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2019/03/best-attended-uk-clubs-1981-2019-11th.html

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived