Eddie Hemmings - a Tribute Thread

It would be remiss of this board not to mark Eddie's retirement from the SKY box with a thread of its own. For like or not, Eddie Hemmings as much as Mike Stevenson has been the voice of Rugby League on Pay TV from 1988 to Good Friday 2019 when he bows out alongside Neville Smith the producer of Rugby League on SKY, keeping to a gentleman's agreement to stay on after Mike Stevenson's retirement to provide a couple of years of continuity as a man of his word, something others connected to Rugby League seem unable to keep these days....

If you express an opinion as a commentator or a journalist a large part of your audience is not going to like it and Eddie has been the butt of many a comment, some quite bizzare memorably being accused from being "a Ronald Reagan lookalike" to wearing a wig (actually he does have a bit of a bald patch on top if you ever lookdown on him from the stands as he scurries to the commentary scaffording -but no wig. those make up girls doing a sterling job on his coiffure). it seems to me as a southerner that like Eddie Waring and Ray French before him a lot of the criticism he has got is like a form of self-hatred from those who normally espouse the virtues of being a parochial sport but cringe when one of their own is presenting the game to a national audience

And if in his commentary dotage he has not been as incisive as in the past, well that comes to all of us eventually, but to my mind his professional standards have never dropped certainly not to the extent that Henry Blofeld became a parody of himself on Test Match Special in his declining years. What the game should do is acknowledge the part he has played in popularising the game on pay TV and being the steady hand on the tiller of SKY coverage over the years.

So good luck Eddie and enjoy your retirement.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice post. Always enjoyed Eddie and Stevo's commentary, and their enthusiasm for the sport has always come across. Had the pleasure of meeting both men in Auckland in 2010. Eddie, Stevo and Ray French were the voices that introduced me to televised rugby league and I will miss them. All the best Eddie.

Eddie and Stevo have always been the voice of Rugby League for me since I was a kid watching Rugby League at my grandparents house. I'll certainly miss ol' Edwardo's commentary and personality. 

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

This is the last play.

Long... kicks it wide to Iro.

Iro to Hall.

Hall is trapped.

Back it goes to Hoppe.

Over the shoulder to Hall.

There is Jonkers.

Here is Long, and Long fancies it. Long fancies it.

It's wide to West. It's wide to West.

Dwayne West.

Inside to Joynt.

Joynt. JOYNT.

JOYNT!

OH! OH! FANTASTIC!

Thanks for everything Eddie. I've never met you. I don't even like saints. But that gets me everytime. Enjoy yourself.

7 hours ago, rlno1 said:

First heard Eddie in 1988 covering Great Britain for the BBC, always enjoyed his commentary. 

Will be missed.

I for one never understood why so many posters didn't like him, I've found his commentary to be good.

The OP pretty much says it all. So long, Eddie, you've been the soundtrack to a lot of highs and lows.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yep, Eddie Hemmings has been a constant for me and the Mrs since we were married in 1991. That was when we first got a Sky TV set-up as I was posted 'down South' with the RAF. That was the only way to get our RL fix. So, we're gonna miss his dulcet tones. All the best with your retirement Eddie and thanks for all the memories.

If it's not broke,

Fix it until it is!

Come On You Dons!

1 hour ago, RoverBear said:

This is the last play.

Long... kicks it wide to Iro.

Iro to Hall.

Hall is trapped.

Back it goes to Hoppe.

Over the shoulder to Hall.

There is Jonkers.

Here is Long, and Long fancies it. Long fancies it.

It's wide to West. It's wide to West.

Dwayne West.

Inside to Joynt.

Joynt. JOYNT.

JOYNT!

OH! OH! FANTASTIC!

Thanks for everything Eddie. I've never met you. I don't even like saints. But that gets me everytime. Enjoy yourself.

Great guy great commentator

So was Steve in his pomp and many others - but there has to be either a sparing amount of these people so they dont become stale - a bigger commentary team covering matches - or a very definite succession plan in place for when they do

Stevo had his time as did Ray French as did Eddie Waring before him. 

Eddie Hemings was one of the best and I for one am immensely proud of what he has done for our sport, his professionalism has been there for all to see

Now is as good a time as any to go, before its too late and he tarnishes what has been an incredible career as the leading voice for a whole sport - not many people can ever say that and he is one of a handful in sport today that can.

I hope he and the Sky producer thats also leaving have a happy and positive retirement from their roles because they have earned it.

Thanks Eddie - being a Yorkshireman i could say something pithy but on this occasion a thank you is the very least you deserve 

?

20 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If that happened tomorrow, the ref would go for the screen and an obstruction would be given for Long stepping behind his own man before his crossfield kick.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

One of the good guys.

Fitting that he bows out on Rugby League's biggest Derby.

If you are reading, enjoy your retirement Eddie.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

First and foremost Hemmings is an excellent broadcaster, perhaps an increasingly underrated skill when so many ex-pros clog the airwaves.

The tribute clips demonstrate why he’s right to be leaving now. The passion is no longer really there, maybe that’s natural at his age.

Anyway, I suspect he will be missed. I hope Sky has a good replacement lined up.

For me the worst I can say about Eddie is I wish that bloody try had been score against literally any other team than the Bulls. I was at the match, so would have gladly never seen that try again - alas it wasn't to be! Hope that clip retires with him ?

Seriously, I have nothing but a lot of time and respect for Eddie. As well as being the voice of RL, for me he was the voice of my childhood, and the voice of the glory years of the Bradford Bulls. I think perhaps a lot of his criticism is because he's been lumped in with Stevo, when Eddie was always the straight man. I think Sky will struggle to replace him, and although perhaps some of the enthusiasm is gone, he's a steady hand that only comes of being years of being an absolute pro. The people who complain now will miss him when he's gone - and then start complaining about the next commentators!

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Great sporting moments can be made even greater by great commentary. I'm a neutral as far as Saints v Bradford goes but 'Wide To West' still gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

Eddie's been fantastic over the years and he'll be missed. Wishing him a very happy retirement.

Archived