1. 1. Who will you vote for?

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Lib Dems
    • UKIP
    • Brexit Party
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Change UK (formerly Independent Group)
    • Greens
    • Other
  2. 2. Is this a different party from who you’d vote for if Brexit didn’t exist?

• Yes, my vote is different because of Brexit
    • No, this is who I’d vote for if Brexit suddenly disappeared

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Private Baldrick said:

The SNP to their credit have been entirely consistent throughout this whole debacle, anti UK, pro EU and consistently ignore the results of referenda. 

It's referendums if you're speaking English.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm not sure yet.

Although I voted remain I voted for the Brexit party in the poll here. However I will read to see who the candidates are and which way family want to vote. 

I will read comments here too - I always like fair and balanced views. ?

I will see who the candidates are in my region (London). At the moment, two of the Labour MEPs who represent the region are very good MEPs, and I don't know a vast amount about the other two. If they pick good, pro-EU candidates, they have a good chance of getting my vote, as do the Greens.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

48 minutes ago, Niels said:

I'm not sure yet.

Although I voted remain I voted for the Brexit party in the poll here. However I will read to see who the candidates are and which way family want to vote. 

I will read comments here too - I always like fair and balanced views. ?

I think some close scrutiny may be needed: Nigel Farage ‘will take over’ as leader of the Brexit Party after Catherine Blaiklock resigns over her racist tweets

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

YouGov have

Brexit Party 27%

Labour 22%

Tories 15%

Lib Dems above Change UK on 9 and 6 percent respectively although both are below the greens on 10%.

My views on this:

TIGgers seem to just not be able to connect with public beyond a committed few. Its easier for the brexit party, their message has already got people to deviate from their party's line before; they've made the crucial first hurdle. Change UK need a stormer tbh otherwise they will be a centrist flash in the pan. They're main opposition and competition aren't the Brexit party, its Labour and the Tories. Getting the people who voted for Blair and Cameron to their side will be key if they're ever to be a force.

Brexit party needs to rally up as many voters as possible. Clearly they represent a large if not the largest minority in the country. What that translates to GE time however who knows. They'll benefit massively from protest votes.

Greens doing better than CHUK and the Lib Dems (admittedly only in this poll) is interesting. They've not deviated from their message and aren't tainted like the other parties are by association with the Tories and Labour.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

YouGov have

Brexit Party 27%

Labour 22%

Tories 15%

Lib Dems above Change UK on 9 and 6 percent respectively although both are below the greens on 10%.

My views on this:

TIGgers seem to just not be able to connect with public beyond a committed few. Its easier for the brexit party, their message has already got people to deviate from their party's line before; they've made the crucial first hurdle. Change UK need a stormer tbh otherwise they will be a centrist flash in the pan. They're main opposition and competition aren't the Brexit party, its Labour and the Tories. Getting the people who voted for Blair and Cameron to their side will be key if they're ever to be a force.

Brexit party needs to rally up as many voters as possible. Clearly they represent a large if not the largest minority in the country. What that translates to GE time however who knows. They'll benefit massively from protest votes.

Greens doing better than CHUK and the Lib Dems (admittedly only in this poll) is interesting. They've not deviated from their message and aren't tainted like the other parties are by association with the Tories and Labour.

via Britain Elects ... lot of fluctuation there ...

D4WovBKXsAAk2s7.png:large

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

That poll tells me 3 x things:

a. Despite the nightmare situation we currently find ourselves in, UK politics remains tribal; a sad inditement of the electorate. 

b. The anti-Brexit parties are not capturing the public imagination.

c. The Corbyn brand despite being the individual being incompetent remains strong. 

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

a. Despite the nightmare situation we currently find ourselves in, UK politics remains tribal; a sad inditement of the electorate. 

c. The Corbyn brand despite being the individual being incompetent remains strong. 

You class polling at 29% in the face of the worse Tory Government ever, or ANY government come to think of it, is being 'strong'?? 

2 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

You class polling at 29% in the face of the worse Tory Government ever, or ANY government come to think of it, is being 'strong'?? 

When the government vote has collapsed to mid-teens then 29% is supremely strong given the contempt in which both parties are held.

Labour only polled 25% in the last Euro elections. Ukip 'won' with 27%.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

When the government vote has collapsed to mid-teens then 29% is supremely strong given the contempt in which both parties are held.

Labour only polled 25% in the last Euro elections. Ukip 'won' with 27%.

But surely the main beneficiary of any collapse in the ruling party's vote should be Her Majesty's Opposition, not a couple of parties cobbled together in the last few weeks?

2 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

But surely the main beneficiary of any collapse in the ruling party's vote should be Her Majesty's Opposition, not a couple of parties cobbled together in the last few weeks?

You'd think but it's, as you've made clear in your thinking, entirely a Brexit protest.

Given that Brexit is almost exclusively a Tory invention it'll be the Tory vote that goes down hardest for the Brexit parties to benefit. Neither Brexit nor remain protesters are going to be going to Labour.

Plus, this the EU election. Tactical voting and normal rules do not apply.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

You'd think but it's, as you've made clear in your thinking, entirely a Brexit protest.

Given that Brexit is almost exclusively a Tory invention it'll be the Tory vote that goes down hardest for the Brexit parties to benefit. Neither Brexit nor remain protesters are going to be going to Labour.

Plus, this the EU election. Tactical voting and normal rules do not apply.

Quite.

Interesting to note though that the majority of the out and out remain/2nd referendum Labour supporters don't feel the need to desert their party to register a protest at the current leaderships' inability to follow agreed Labour Party policy.

58 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

A good thread on that -

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

via Britain Elects ... lot of fluctuation there ...

D4WovBKXsAAk2s7.png:large

The combined votes of the parties wanting to leave the EU (including Labour & Tories) comes to 71% on that YouGov poll.

Those people wanting another referendum seem to have it right there.

Of course things could change by the time of the vote, but I'm not sure they will.

The ChangeUK party doesn't seem to be generating much support.

52 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

The combined votes of the parties wanting to leave the EU (including Labour & Tories) comes to 71% on that YouGov poll.

Of course things could change by the time of the vote, but I'm not sure they will.

EDITED AS ORIGINAL DIDN'T ACTUALLY MAKE THE POINT I WANTED:

That logic would have 37% agreeing with Theresa May's deal or Labour's virtual as against 34% for No Deal - if everything is being boiled down like that. Which it isn't. That leaves 29% for Remain, assuming no SNP or Plaid voters sneakily also want to leave the EU as well.

50 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'll accept that all of UKIP and all of the Brexit Party want to leave, I don't accept that all of the Labour party want to or even that all of the Tories want to, in fact I'd suggest that in the EU elections you're far more likely to see Labour and Tory Brexiteers vote for UKIP or Brexit than their own party which I would interpret as over 60% wanting to remain.

42 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I'll accept that all of UKIP and all of the Brexit Party want to leave, I don't accept that all of the Labour party want to or even that all of the Tories want to, in fact I'd suggest that in the EU elections you're far more likely to see Labour and Tory Brexiteers vote for UKIP or Brexit than their own party which I would interpret as over 60% wanting to remain.

Most Tory party members want to leave.  But the wider voting public who would usually vote Tory will be split (though more towards leave than remain).  It is those folk who voted Tory solely because the Tories promised to deliver Brexit who will likely desert the Tories in the EU elections.  My guess would be that they will be a minority of Tory voters.

Tories are more pro-leave than pro-remain.  Don't assume that because a majority of Tory MPs are remain, the electorate voting for them are pro-remain or the membership of the Tory party is.

54 minutes ago, Shadow said:

You were obviously intended for a career as a spin doctor.

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Most Tory party members want to leave.  But the wider voting public who would usually vote Tory will be split (though more towards leave than remain).  It is those folk who voted Tory solely because the Tories promised to deliver Brexit who will likely desert the Tories in the EU elections.  My guess would be that they will be a minority of Tory voters.

Tories are more pro-leave than pro-remain.  Don't assume that because a majority of Tory MPs are remain, the electorate voting for them are pro-remain or the membership of the Tory party is.

The really interesting thing about the European elections is what the parties will put in their manifestos.

For the Brexit Party it's easy, but not for the traditional parties.

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

With the easy availability of UKIP and Brexit Party as a protest vote, I think it’s safe to assume that anyone who votes Tory in this election is okay with their vote being perceived as an endorsement of May’s deal.

It’s before the big parties have started their campaigns so lots of caution but this is an interesting prediction outcome of the current polls

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived