1. 1. Who will you vote for?

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Lib Dems
    • UKIP
    • Brexit Party
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Change UK (formerly Independent Group)
    • Greens
    • Other
  2. 2. Is this a different party from who you’d vote for if Brexit didn’t exist?

• Yes, my vote is different because of Brexit
    • No, this is who I’d vote for if Brexit suddenly disappeared

31 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Ah right, the CFP and CAP are both wonderful things and are a beacon to all things EU. Silly me. 

So if nothing is going to change, I ask again why are we paying billions of pounds a year for? Might as well cut out the middle man and save the money. Pointless paying for something we don't need. 

What we pay for and what we get in return has been explained to you lots of times.  That you continue to be confused by it is your problem not mine.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

You miss my point. It’s our government who allows the degradation of our natural environment. It’s our local Councils who allow building on green belt land. That’s got jack all to do with the EU. Our natural environment is practically dead as we’ve done that. Not EU Directives (some incidentally attempt do the opposite).

And go onto the moors and have a look what the aristocracy and landowners have done to the land. Have a look what that land is used for. Have a look what practices are conducted on that land to keep it looking the way it does. Then ask yourself what impact that has on the environment; both human and physical. Then go and compare it locations around Europe. 

Quoting myself... but this just appeared on my Facebook feed to highlight my point perfectly:

Some stats:

70% of UK agricultural land.
36% (or 25% of total) used for arable farming.
64% used for rough grazing or grassland or woodland.
13% of UK land is woodland (2/3s in Scotland and less than 1/5 of England woodland in upland areas compared to 3/4 in Scotland).
8% of UK land used for grouse shooting (extraordinary stat). 

2 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Ah right, the CFP and CAP are both wonderful things and are a beacon to all things EU. Silly me. 

So if nothing is going to change, I ask again why are we paying billions of pounds a year for? Might as well cut out the middle man and save the money. Pointless paying for something we don't need. 

No-one said they were. You are making that up. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

No-one said they were. You are making that up. 

It's the new logical leap.

It's gone from insisting that the EU interfere in every part of the UK, to saying the EU don't interfere enough, so we don't need them.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Quoting myself... but this just appeared on my Facebook feed to highlight my point perfectly:

Some stats:

70% of UK agricultural land.
36% (or 25% of total) used for arable farming.
64% used for rough grazing or grassland or woodland.
13% of UK land is woodland (2/3s in Scotland and less than 1/5 of England woodland in upland areas compared to 3/4 in Scotland).
8% of UK land used for grouse shooting (extraordinary stat). 

The part of East Yorkshire I live in is called Holderness , covers a big area . Hull Boundary (east) to the coast , Hornsea - Withernsea - Spurn . I cant think of one largish area that has got forest / woodland with public access . Sad , very sad .

I'll be voting in the Dublin constituency:

1) Gillian Brien (Solidarity-PBP) 2) Clare Daly (Independent) 3) Éilis Ryan (Worker's Party) 4) Lynn Boylan (Sinn Féin) 5) Gary Gannon (Social Democrats)

Then the rest of the Fianna Fáil/Fine Gael/Labour empty suits, the oddballs and the cranks in descending order of unpleasantness with Hermann Kelly (Irexit Party) in last place.

6 hours ago, shrek said:

A pattern is forming!

Thing is though if we are to believe the polls all this is just not working.  The Brexit Party appears to have real momentum behind it (if the polls are to believed).  All this kind of thing is doing is provoking an 'f-you' attitude in Brexiteers.

35 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Thing is though if we are to believe the polls all this is just not working.  The Brexit Party appears to have real momentum behind it (if the polls are to believed).  All this kind of thing is doing is provoking an 'f-you' attitude in Brexiteers.

More precisely, a “f-you and I don’t care if the world burns” attitude

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

In terms of numbers the  Brexit Party will probably clean up the Brexit vote leaving UKIP and the Conservatives trailing  badly. The Remain vote will be split all over the place between Change, Lib Dems, Greens, SNP and Plaid.

What will be interesting will be the overall vote when comparing Leave with Remain. The Labour and Conservative votes will be the unknown.  Polls have indicated around 80-90% of Cons will vote Leave and Labour voters are 80% Remain  now.

Actual voter numbers will be looked at in detail as no one doubts that these EU elections are a proxy referendum.

He'd probably get my vote if I lived in that region.

57 minutes ago, ckn said:

More precisely, a “f-you and I don’t care if the world burns” attitude

Except, of course, us Brexiteers don't believe that the world will burn and so that element of your statement doesn't apply.

15 hours ago, ckn said:

That nice Mr Farage obviously didn’t want a picture of himself in a car crash. 

Typical Farage.  If there's a problem, run away.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Just now, johnmatrix said:

You lot will  hate it if the Brexit party Wins seats

Vote for a poundshop fascist leader who refuses to give a manifesto and you are fully responsible for any and all consequences. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

49 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

I won't be voting, 

Probably the first time in my life I won’t criticise that decision, or at least try to convince you otherwise, given the parcel of rogues we have to choose from across the parties.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/11/poll-surge-for-farage-panic-conservatives-and-labour

Senior Tory and Labour politicians have issued frantic calls to their voters to back them in next week’s European elections after a new poll showed support for Nigel Farage’s Brexit party had soared to a level higher than for the two main parties put together.

13 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Never mind, it was a weak attempt at gallows humour, walking away from a car crash, wasn't funny, lets move on!

If the Brexit party lands less than 50% of the vote were does that leave a WTO Brexit?  (or whatever its called)

I still can't get my head around why Brexit Party policy isn't to fight another referendum, with a direct run off between remain and there idea of Brexit, given Nigel seems to have abandoned the Norway model, which he seemed to like before the last referendum!

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Farage spit his dummy out on the Marr show this morning?

That may well have happened but his media machine will claim it as a victory for him over the establishment elite. Leave. UK are already suggesting he dominated Marr. 

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Farage spit his dummy out on the Marr show this morning?

No, he didn't.  Marr did his best to avoid talking about the campaign itself but instead tried to nobble Farage on whatever he apparently said back in 2016 (without context, obvs) but Farage made the very valid point that the argument now is about democracy: honouring the 2016 election and doing what was promised in manifesto pledges and the vote on invoking Article 50.  I thought he got that point across very well and to me that was the point that people in sympathy with the leave vote will have heard, rather than the sad attempts by Marr to hit Farage with three year old quotes and misdirections.  

17 minutes ago, distantdog said:

That may well have happened but his media machine will claim it as a victory for him over the establishment elite. Leave. UK are already suggesting he dominated Marr. 

What he did was what populists do very effectively: show up an interviewer who is trying to undermine the man that they are actually denying the issue by taking that approach.  Marr looked out of his comfort zone to be honest; he is no Paxman.  He obviously had the remit to undermine Farage but Farage is used to that approach and instead just talked louder and more assertively about democracy.  It was that assertion that came across very well I thought, and I'm no fan of Farage.  He is simply very good at what he does and May and the Tory remainers were utterly stupid to invite him back into the argument.

21 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Marr did his best to avoid talking about the campaign itself but instead tried to nobble Farage on whatever he apparently said back in 2016

Imagine trying to hold a man to his word.  Shocking from Marr.  Imagine having someone who did not mention a no deal WTO Brexit claiming that’s what he wanted all along.  Imagine someone who said a Norway style would be fantastic now claiming he’d never want such a thing.

You are right that he is a populist with easy answers to complex questions and will lead this country to ruin.

Archived