1. 1. Who will you vote for?

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Lib Dems
    • UKIP
    • Brexit Party
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Change UK (formerly Independent Group)
    • Greens
    • Other
  2. 2. Is this a different party from who you’d vote for if Brexit didn’t exist?

• Yes, my vote is different because of Brexit
    • No, this is who I’d vote for if Brexit suddenly disappeared

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, even if we did end up remaining as the result of a 2nd referendum, the likelihood is that we would already have sent a load of Brexit Party folk to the European Parliament for the next four years. Have I understood that correctly, and would it make much difference to the EU? Or would the Brexit Party MEP's just be seen as a minor irritation?

7 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

So, even if we did end up remaining as the result of a 2nd referendum, the likelihood is that we would already have sent a load of Brexit Party folk to the European Parliament for the next four years. Have I understood that correctly, and would it make much difference to the EU? Or would the Brexit Party MEP's just be seen as a minor irritation?

Many are recycled Kippers who'll do as they've done for the last 5 years in only turning up for a few votes when they know the cameras will be watching.  And $deity knows what they do with all their allowances...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

#FollowTheMoney

Just where is it all coming from?

It would be a good idea if the electoral commission could gather it's evidence and step in before the election rather than afterwards when it's too late to act effectively.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

#FollowTheMoney

Just where is it all coming from?

It would be a good idea if the electoral commission could gather it's evidence and step in before the election rather than afterwards when it's too late to act effectively.

Doesn't matter.  The relatively small fine will be worth it.  There is no deterrent.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Doesn't matter.  The relatively small fine will be worth it.  There is no deterrent.

In Germany, the fine for electoral overspends is three times the “overspend” and it’s personally liable to the directors of the company even if they go insolvent or shut the company.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

If the EU elections take place then for me it is the ideal opportunity to register my protest. The EU elections give me 'a free go' at giving the established parties a little reminder as to what they promised and to what they have actually achieved. In 2014 I voted UKIP in order to put pressure on to get a referendum. This year I will be voting for the Brexit party to put pressure on to get the referendum result honoured.

That's exactly what I'm doing and why I'm doing it too.  (I've never voted for UKIP though)

1 hour ago, ckn said:

In Germany, the fine for electoral overspends is three times the “overspend” and it’s personally liable to the directors of the company even if they go insolvent or shut the company.

In proper, above board, countries they rerun the elections. Not here though. Because that would antagonise the far right and THEY MUST NOT BE PROVOKED.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Saintslass said:

That's exactly what I'm doing and why I'm doing it too.  (I've never voted for UKIP though)

Means you are voting for Claire Fox in the North West .  Given her previous views and allegiances, that made me smile.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Means you are voting for Claire Fox in the North West .  Given her previous views and allegiances, that made me smile.  

I like Claire Fox.  I watch her on the paper review show on Sky whenever she is on.  She can't help her previous views and allegiances - I always believe in giving people a second chance! ? 

7 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I like Claire Fox.  I watch her on the paper review show on Sky whenever she is on.  She can't help her previous views and allegiances - I always believe in giving people a second chance! ? 

Good grief: https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/17607393.dan-price-hits-out-at-claire-fox-of-brexit-party-over-ira/

“It is sickening that someone with Claire Fox’s views, who has been a genocide denier, an IRA defender and was part of a movement that described the Good Friday Agreement as ‘a disgrace’ could soon be an MEP for Warrington,”

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

8 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Good grief: https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/17607393.dan-price-hits-out-at-claire-fox-of-brexit-party-over-ira/

“It is sickening that someone with Claire Fox’s views, who has been a genocide denier, an IRA defender and was part of a movement that described the Good Friday Agreement as ‘a disgrace’ could soon be an MEP for Warrington,”

Hey. She deserves a second chance. 

17 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

You missed out that part where she defended Gary Glitter's activities.

Heh, she's a character though. Shakes things up.

And doesn't give a damn how things settle.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

You missed out that part where she defended Gary Glitter's activities.

Heh, she's a character though. Shakes things up.

And doesn't give a damn how things settle.

Brexit.  That's all that matters.  Gary Glitter himself could be a Brexit Party candidate and it'd be "ah well, the past is the past as long as we get Brexit" for many of those intending to vote for them.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Brexit.  That's all that matters.  Gary Glitter himself could be a Brexit Party candidate and it'd be "ah well, the past is the past as long as we get Brexit" for many of those intending to vote for them.

The Change UK party have had a few controversies of their own, haven't they?

https://www.markpack.org.uk/158403/joseph-russo-european-parliament-election-candidate-change-uk/

Should people not vote for Change UK now that we know how SOME of the people that associated themselves with the party have behaved in the past?

45 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

The Change UK party have had a few controversies of their own, haven't they?

https://www.markpack.org.uk/158403/joseph-russo-european-parliament-election-candidate-change-uk/

Should people not vote for Change UK now that we know how SOME of the people that associated themselves with the party have behaved in the past?

No fan of the Tiggers but when they discover something dodgy, the candidate is gone.

The Gary Glitter supporting Claire Fox is a candidate, the 'lying about the UK for American money' leader Nigel Farage is, obviously, still a candidate.

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No fan of the Tiggers but when they discover something dodgy, the candidate is gone.

The Gary Glitter supporting Claire Fox is a candidate, the 'lying about the UK for American money' leader Nigel Farage is, obviously, still a candidate.

My point is that if you go through every person associated with every political party, you're going to find some things that you find disagreeable. To the extent that you're unlikely to be left with any party to vote for, should you want to take the approach of demanding absolute perfection (whatever that may be in your eyes).

To be honest, I think there are quite a few bullies on this thread. There's a nastiness to how some people are going about things. I think you've ably demonstrated above the sort of thing I mean. You're trying to shame anyone who is thinking about voting for the Brexit Party. It's an approach that I've seen taken by several Remain voters on here, on more than one occasion. I think that's why quite a few people probably avoid these threads.

6 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

My point is that if you go through every person associated with every political party, you're going to find some things that you find disagreeable.

Yes that is true, however in the case of Fox or Farage you are actively voting for them as they are the lead members on the regional list.  It's not just someone associated, it's the actual person who will become your MEP.  

4 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

My point is that if you go through every person associated with every political party, you're going to find some things that you find disagreeable. To the extent that you're unlikely to be left with any party to vote for, should you want to take the approach of demanding absolute perfection (whatever that may be in your eyes).

To be honest, I think there are quite a few bullies on this thread. There's a nastiness to how some people are going about things. I think you've ably demonstrated above the sort of thing I mean. You're trying to shame anyone who is thinking about voting for the Brexit Party. It's an approach that I've seen taken by several Remain voters on here, on more than one occasion. I think that's why quite a few people probably avoid these threads.

You seem to have found yourself in the position of supporting a genuinely nasty piece of work in Claire Fox, and are now claiming that it’s bullying you to mention it. 

As far as trying to shame people who are thinking of voting for the Brexit Party goes, you damn well should be ashamed.   You’re an intelligent, mature person, I don’t see why life should be sugar coated to protect your feelings.    

They are a vile, mendacious bunch of people who openly believe some utterly revolting things.   If you don’t like being criticised for supporting them, stop supporting them.   

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

12 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Are they 'previous' views?  Has she recanted them?  She certainly hasn't changed her views on Serbian concentration camps.  

50 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

My point is that if you go through every person associated with every political party, you're going to find some things that you find disagreeable.

And, it seems, that the Tiggers how kicked out the people whose views are obscene to all right-minded people. Or 'disagreeable'.

The Brexit Party has not.

And it is not bullying to point that out.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Are they 'previous' views?  Has she recanted them?  She certainly hasn't changed her views on Serbian concentration camps.  

I have no idea.  I only knew that she was once a communist and I have heard her publicly state that she left that worldview behind.  I didn't and don't know about any of her other views and I will do a bit of research into and watch what she says about the IRA and other beliefs attributed to her past.  

However, I do find it ironic that Labour voting people criticise her for her views on the IRA given the views and actions of Corbyn and McDonnell on that issue.  I really can't take Labour voters seriously when they criticise her for those views, regardless of whether she still holds them or ever did hold them.

Where do you get the impression from that she hasn't changed her mind on Serbian concentration camps?  And where did you find out that she denied they existed?  

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I have no idea.  I only knew that she was once a communist and I have heard her publicly state that she left that worldview behind.  I didn't and don't know about any of her other views and I will do a bit of research into and watch what she says about the IRA and other beliefs attributed to her past.  

However, I do find it ironic that Labour voting people criticise her for her views on the IRA given the views and actions of Corbyn and McDonnell on that issue.  I really can't take Labour voters seriously when they criticise her for those views, regardless of whether she still holds them or ever did hold them.

Where do you get the impression from that she hasn't changed her mind on Serbian concentration camps?  And where did you find out that she denied they existed?  

Yes, because all the Labour voters on here have wholeheartedly excused Corbyn for his abhorrent IRA views.

And she was absolutely fine with the IRA murdering small children in Warrington.

Remember that when you vote for her.

Archived