Friday Vs Batley

Commentator

I’ve been saying this all season, with most fans shouting me down. Now more are seeing same as me.

Was really poor yesterday, no Sykes and Finny anonymous but you have to look at all the squad and coaching staff, who let themselves and the fans down tonight!!

Up The Rams

Mirfield Rams

33 minutes ago, MirfieldRams said:

I’ve been saying this all season, with most fans shouting me down. Now more are seeing same as me.

Was really poor yesterday, no Sykes and Finny anonymous but you have to look at all the squad and coaching staff, who let themselves and the fans down tonight!!

In fairness to Finn, it is difficult for halfbacks to shine if he is playing behind a beaten pack.

It was a shame Andrade was injured, I really liked the look of him, I hope he is back for you soon, but has booked a holiday for the return fixture and the Bash. 

10 hours ago, youngun said:

One final observation, do our players know it's OK to try and pass the ball before a tackle is complete? I was taught that back in 1976 by a couple of coaches called Addy & Walker.

We did six offloads a few games on. Then it stopped.  Samy is known for it.  Someone is telling him not to do it. To be fair none of the rest of the team would know what an offload is.  If they’ve been with us more than a season it’s be ground out of em

There is much criticism of the number of loan players we have been playing  in our team this season and that they aren't giving their all for the shirt!  ... In general terms I understand and agree but last night Hooley was amazing under the high ball and always gives his all for the shirt ... and how anyone can think Annakin doesn't give everything can't be watching!!  his drive, competitive edge  and passion were seriously missed last night .... for me those two have been two of our best and most consistent and passionate performers this season and  stand apart  from any general criticism of loan players!

1 hour ago, the old nine ole said:

There is much criticism of the number of loan players we have been playing  in our team this season and that they aren't giving their all for the shirt!  ... In general terms I understand and agree but last night Hooley was amazing under the high ball and always gives his all for the shirt ... and how anyone can think Annakin doesn't give everything can't be watching!!  his drive, competitive edge  and passion were seriously missed last night .... for me those two have been two of our best and most consistent and passionate performers this season and  stand apart  from any general criticism of loan players!

Loan players aren’t the problem. Both the Wakefield lads and samy have largely performed pretty well. What we don’t have is any leadership and even less ideas.  

That said no one showed much passion in last nights debacle.  

We missed Sykes for his passion but even he wouldn't have been able to compensate for a badly beaten pack. Batley's forwards played with passion and determination - maybe too much at times but better that than powder puffs. I have no doubt that our players are all skilfull individuals but somebody needs some fire in their belly to get them going.

We were 8-0 up and playing reasonably well to that point, with a two man advantage that should have told. As it happened we fell for our old habit of slackening off instead of turning the screw. A key feature of LG's plays so far has seen the ball being regularly turned back inside and the players are clearly following the coach's instructions in this. My limited knowledge of the game suggests that when you have a two man advantage there should be a plan B, designed to stretch and tire the opposition. This didn't happen.

I expect Lee to say how disappointed he is and that the players weren't following the play book but it is up to the coaching staff to make this happen.

Finally I am all in favour of a couple of loan players coming in if they are better than those that we have got: Hooley is a case in point until Wakefield decide to recall him and Annakin is another that is commited to the cause. I am unconvinced by the others.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

We missed Sykes for his passion but even he wouldn't have been able to compensate for a badly beaten pack. Batley's forwards played with passion and determination - maybe too much at times but better that than powder puffs. I have no doubt that our players are all skilfull individuals but somebody needs some fire in their belly to get them going.

We were 8-0 up and playing reasonably well to that point, with a two man advantage that should have told. As it happened we fell for our old habit of slackening off instead of turning the screw. A key feature of LG's plays so far has seen the ball being regularly turned back inside and the players are clearly following the coach's instructions in this. My limited knowledge of the game suggests that when you have a two man advantage there should be a plan B, designed to stretch and tire the opposition. This didn't happen.

I expect Lee to say how disappointed he is and that the players weren't following the play book but it is up to the coaching staff to make this happen.

Finally I am all in favour of a couple of loan players coming in if they are better than those that we have got: Hooley is a case in point until Wakefield decide to recall him and Annakin is another that is commited to the cause. I am unconvinced by the others.

Regards stretching the opposition BSJ don't you think the narrow pitch didn't help that theory?. Add to that an oppositon team giving their all the pitch helped?. This is constructive not critical. 

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

12 hours ago, coolie said:

That's a long way off...but constant loan players walking straight into the team is starting to grate a little now,how can you produce constancy when the ingredients are constantly changing week on week.

Best team won today hands down mate,and congrats on your result today phil

12 hours ago, coolie said:

That's a long way off...but constant loan players walking straight into the team is starting to grate a little now,how can you produce constancy when the ingredients are constantly changing week on week.

Best team won today hands down mate,and congrats on your result today phil

Its the way of the game now Coolie Im afraid. Even when you get a loanee or DR player that excels they are swiftly taken back by their parent clubs. So its like a vicious circle you have to replace the replacement and so on. Leads to an unsettled team.

2 minutes ago, colinb said:

Regards stretching the opposition BSJ don't you think the narrow pitch didn't help that theory?. Add to that an oppositon team giving their all the pitch helped?. This is constructive not critical. 

Just how much narrower is our pitch compared with MP Colin? A genuine question as I don't know the answer.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Just how much narrower is our pitch compared with MP Colin? A genuine question as I don't know the answer.

Try line to try line x touch line to touch line.....98m x 67m approx.

Don't know Dewsburys...groundsman on here ??

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

I think you're being a little over critical. Yes I think up to the sending off and son binning there wasn't much between the teams, second half we just put so much more effort in, which I thought we'd struggle to maintain that level of intensity. As it was we just out enthused Dewsbury in the end!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

58 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

I think you're being a little over critical. Yes I think up to the sending off and son binning there wasn't much between the teams, second half we just put so much more effort in, which I thought we'd struggle to maintain that level of intensity. As it was we just out enthused Dewsbury in the end!

As in "a lot" vs "none"?

8 hours ago, EQUALIZER said:

When we have an half back on loan to Keighley why cant we recall him. That was a shambles ,would have looked bad on a park pitch. Batley wernt  good but they showed heart guts and spirit. That team of ours nothing. It was like men against boys.

Batley weren't good. 

I thought we were chuffing brilliant. For a team to come from behind with 1 man short and take the two points deserve an ovation.

58 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

Batley weren't good. 

I thought we were chuffing brilliant. For a team to come from behind with 1 man short and take the two points deserve an ovation.

We defended wonderful our pack ran the game with Dave Scott 

i knew we’d win the game when we scored with 11 dewsbury looked on their feet soon after and we stood up another level 

I felt a tad sorry for the Rams.  At 8-2 they had looked the better side.  Like me, they thought it was all over when Rettie was sent off and Ward sin binned.  The Batley players thought otherwise and fought like dervishes whilst the home side just could not raise their game and whatever they tried seemed to go wrong. It happens to most teams from time to time.  Incidentally, did anyone think that this looked more like a John Kear side in the second half.  Less lateral and more hard running up the middle.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:04, Blind side johnny said:

My limited knowledge of the game suggests that when you have a two man advantage there should be a plan B, designed to stretch and tire the opposition. This didn't happen.

To be fair, BSJ, your lot tried that a few times, but got tackled into touch just about every time.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

On 20/04/2019 at 23:34, Dog forever said:

Batley weren't good. 

On 21/04/2019 at 00:34, Keep The Faith said:

We defended wonderful our pack ran the game with Dave Scott 

i knew we’d win the game when we scored with 11 dewsbury looked on their feet soon after and we stood up another level 

You can only play what's in front you and on Friday that was a bunch of uninterested individuals (for most). The Dogs had passion and belief to compensate for playing with a man down for most of the game. Makes a massive difference!  Batley won the game when we couldn't press home the advantage when they we're down to 11 men. 

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

13 hours ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

To be fair, BSJ, your lot tried that a few times, but got tackled into touch just about every time.

True SJS (welcome back by the way) but the apposite word was "stretch", as distinct from chuck it to a wingman when you can think of nothing else to do. I take nothing away from Batley though, a real characterful display.

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

True SJS (welcome back by the way) but the apposite word was "stretch", as distinct from chuck it to a wingman when you can think of nothing else to do. I take nothing away from Batley though, a real characterful display.

Do I detect an element of despondency in your remarks, BSJ?

Stiffen the upper lip and try to look on the bright side.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

10 hours ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

Do I detect an element of despondency in your remarks, BSJ?

Stiffen the upper lip and try to look on the bright side.

"Smile" they said, "things could be worse!"

So I smiled, and they were.

Archived