RFL short sightedness on England v France fixtures

There are more answers than posters to all this.

The same lines as with expansion seem to be drawn.

Catalan need space in the calendar for France to play England.

"I wouldn't watch it if it was in my backyard!" Now there's a statement for an RL fan to make.

The Dragons do need to be made to provide their players but when you're only here by invitation and under sufferance would you?

Attitudes are everything and it shows.

The idea that you can beat the Aussies by never playing them has a real foothold in this sport.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I agree on this lunacy from RFL. The game is always organised at short notice and usually draws a decent crowd especially in France. We always bemoan the lack of international RL and a home and away against France is a must in a regular time slot in the season. 

Just use UK based players that will even it up a bit. Union never cares about scores and why should we.

RFL & Rimmer invest in this long term and you will see dividends

I don’t really want the season to go on a week longer than it already is. This season is already a season spanning 254 days (a shade under 70% of a calendar year) or 36 weeks, and it’s too long and adding in a walkover of an International friendly (because that’s what it is, let’s not kid ourselves otherwise) just isn’t a good idea. 

The whole International calendar goes back, somewhat, to a structure discussion due to the number of games Super League sides play and the number of games they say they need to be deemed profitable. 

2 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Take a test to Marseille, Bordeaux or Nice on a Saturday afternoon in June.

pretty sure you’d get a few thousand fans going over

Better people on here to comment regarding RL history in these places, but as far as I know, only Bordeaux.  

Marseille used to be 3hr 20mins from just near Perpignan and Nice even longer.  Bordeaux was around 4 hours.  Seems a bit daft to go too far away from, what is now, the heartlands triangle of the south.

But, the thread is all about the RFLs shortfalls!!  I just can understand how there solely responsible.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The whole International calendar goes back, somewhat, to a structure discussion due to the number of games Super League sides play and the number of games they say they need to be deemed profitable. 

In 2013 we played a 27 game regular season. The Super 8s made it a 30 game regular season. This year we’re looking at a 29 game regular season. There is scope and precedent for a slightly shorter season. It’s laziness and greed that stops it happening.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 French SL teams would be great and after the cup win last year surely now is the time to support the French

At the moment a Test against them has limited appeal but they need some international exposure. 

If we won't/don't play them maybe they are better off looking West and playing fixtures in French speaking Canada ?

45 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

For me, the issue with taking the game to Perpignan is that for many potential England fans it could be deja vu as they follow their SL club there too. So somewhere different, at least in the early years.

I went to Perpignan for the first time last week. An OK place for a quick trip IMO but not a great deal to see and do. I now understand why some supporters base themselves in  Spain and bus up. A bit of variety in the choice of venue would attract more people from England than yet another game in Perpignan.

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, Number 16 said:

For me, the issue with taking the game to Perpignan is that for many potential England fans it could be deja vu as they follow their SL club there too. So somewhere different, at least in the early years.

Perpignan is awful. There’s absolutely nothing there. There’s nicer places in France and Spain to stay. 

22 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Better people on here to comment regarding RL history in these places, but as far as I know, only Bordeaux.  

Marseille used to be 3hr 20mins from just near Perpignan and Nice even longer.  Bordeaux was around 4 hours.  Seems a bit daft to go too far away from, what is now, the heartlands triangle of the south.

But, the thread is all about the RFLs shortfalls!!  I just can understand how there solely responsible.

Marseille were once one of the great RL teams, and the photo of the 1951 team returning to France with over 100,000 lining the streets was taken there. Not far from Avignon and Carpentras

Jean Dop was one of their greats

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Dop

no RL history in Nice but its in Provence all the same - and a great place for a break!

19 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Marseille were once one of the great RL teams, and the photo of the 1951 team returning to France with over 100,000 lining the streets was taken there. Not far from Avignon and Carpentras

Jean Dop was one of their greats

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Dop

no RL history in Nice but its in Provence all the same - and a great place for a break!

Thanks mate.  I couldn’t be arrissed to look it up, just know the distance from taking a friend backwards and forwards to the Swiss embassy.  Nice would be extremely expensive.

I know there’s RL in the VSL area but know nothing of the current amateur game in Bordeaux.  Out of the 3, Bordeaux is the best.

Look not sure. There not won v gb/eng since 1994. We flogging a dead horse.

It confirmed png will play france 2 game series - here i go toulon and montpellier to do something different. Plus they take there best to 9s in sydney. 

England are nearly the best these days. France still have no depth. Thats tje issue 

On 18/04/2019 at 07:19, Kirmonds pouch said:

Why is it the fault of the RFL - isn't it the job of the French to sort themselves out! Why should we be expected to carry a game is a first world nation. Everything needed to make the French game competitive is already there, its not our fault that the French administrations through the years have been corrupt or incompetent or both - they make the RL look super slick by comparison. This support the French thing is getting boring, they need to shape up or ship out at International level.

So if at anytime over the last 50 years the Aussies had said the same to us you would’ve been fine with that. 

If RL has to choose between an extra week of SL matches or a one less to accommodate a test match, and it's pretty obvious what the administrators will go with. RL is always wanting more cash (unless it's a millionaire wishing to support a non heartland club), so test matches have to be over and above a long club season. Then it gets shelved as players need a break. 

I hope that doesn't sound defeatist, but I've been following the game all my life and it's RL reality. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

You are asking the question to people who said playing France at Leigh was undermining the game attendance wise. Also many believe France can beat England..

Thankfully I dont share their inert wisdom and neither should you.

The issue is france is a tier 2 nation. Everyone still thinks its the 1950s they havr 150 clubs packed city stadiums.

Not modern day in only select regional cities and towns. 

3 hours ago, winnyason said:

The issue is france is a tier 2 nation. Everyone still thinks its the 1950s they havr 150 clubs packed city stadiums.

Not modern day in only select regional cities and towns. 

Barring the fact the NRL take some of our players and take them, mostly, to the next level and make England competitive you could say the same about us.

rldfsignature.jpg

10 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Barring the fact the NRL take some of our players and take them, mostly, to the next level and make England competitive you could say the same about us.

Sadly I think that has a lot of truth to it. Playing in the NRL almost guarantees you a spot in the England team.

In todays 'L'Independant' newspaper Tricolores coach Aurélien Cologni mentions possible games this autumn against Wales and maybe Scotland. He's excited by the World '9's'in Sydney. He also is looking at taking a bigger squad Downunder in October and playing full-sided matches against several selections in New Zealand and Australia.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived