22 Apr: The Betfred Championship Easter Monday Match Thread

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, JonM said:

Penalty after the hooter. Final score York 17 Widnes 10 - well deserved win for the home team.

I  recently questioned whether York's bubble had burst, I think that question as been answered.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Fev/Toronto was exciting and both sides had their chances. Toronto took more of theirs, but that was good to watch, despite the salty language.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, tim2 said:

I  recently questioned whether York's bubble had burst, I think that question as been answered.

Fairly scrappy game, with some fairly tired looking players, so I wouldn't read too much into it in terms of form. Plenty of room for improvement from both teams.

That said, I expect York to make the play-offs and Widnes not to - a lot of good young players come through from the academy, but the lack of depth in the squad means some of them are being thrown in at the deep end a little bit. York's Graeme Horne was playing SL when more than half the Widnes team was still wearing nappies ?

The narrow pitch at Bootham Crescent makes things interesting - a Danny Brough or similar would be guaranteed a couple of 40/20s per game.

45 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

We are a good side, but I didn't give us a hope of getting anything before kick off. And at 10-0 down it wasn't looking great. Shows what I know.

Fantastic comeback from the Knights, what a team this is.

Good job we weren’t playing Thatto Heath.

44 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Fev/Toronto was exciting and both sides had their chances. Toronto took more of theirs, but that was good to watch, despite the salty language.

Sorry about that. A red mist descended after that dodgy short kick off call from Mr Hewer. (I was sat on the 10m line).

It's entirely possible that I lost the plot and shouted several words that my mother would disown me for. Repeatedly, right in his ear hole.

?

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

You mean including the salty language . It is funny to hear these insightful comments ... poor old Hewer got some , err , pertinent advice on his refereeing career . That’s lower league community rugby !

8 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Eh? For many years Bootham Crescent was the widest pitch in the football league! 

Certainly didn't look that way to me and wikipedia says that it's quite a few metres smaller than full-size.

Forgot to mention the attendance - 2 229 - decent atmosphere too.

3 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Sorry about that. A red mist descended after that dodgy short kick off call from Mr Hewer. (I was sat on the 10m line).

It's entirely possible that I lost the plot and shouted several words that my mother would disown me for. Repeatedly, right in his ear hole.

?

Do you know what was the attendance? Thanks.

On 21/04/2019 at 18:26, Reverend Ram said:

You may not get 3,700 but if we again serve up the rubbish we dished out on Good Friday it will be  at least a 30 point win. However I am sure we can’t sink so low again so we will be at least competitive for 60 minutes or so.....☹️

You were just about right RR , game was still up for grabs until about 12 to go , so a win for us in front of just over our regular 3,000 , a heavy toll in players though losing McNally,Pownall and Woods , with all likely to be missing next week , also had Ridyard limping through the last 30 

Could be tough next week at the Mount 

5 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

?

Your clarity of enunciation does you credit, however. Clear as a bell on the pitchside mic! ? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just watched the Fev - Toronto game , never like Bussey , always came across as a bit of a ' grub ' , but that has to be the Championship performance of the season 

Bussey is a good player, great potential, but has to stop the constant whining and cheap shots...needs to maintain his mental focus in the games.  He had the same problem when he was with Toronto.

I watched Featherstone / Toronto and though from fairly early on Bussey was acting like a clown.

A little extra after a lot of tackles, then waving his hands like a traffic cop to get the refs attention all the time.

I figured he'd eventually get tossed.  I thought he was playing with a lot of anger, and acting like a buffoon all game long.

I'm certainly happy the Wolfpack sent him packing last year.

15 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Great try there from Dixon. 

Extra bit of class from the Wolfpack.

No, extra bit of help from Mr Hewer

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

6 hours ago, PatrickB said:

I watched Featherstone / Toronto and though from fairly early on Bussey was acting like a clown.

A little extra after a lot of tackles, then waving his hands like a traffic cop to get the refs attention all the time.

I figured he'd eventually get tossed.  I thought he was playing with a lot of anger, and acting like a buffoon all game long.

I'm certainly happy the Wolfpack sent him packing last year.

Whereas Wilkin was an absolute angel.  Toronto should have had a man red carded for an appalling high tackle. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived