TV deals

There's a lot of comments on other threads regarding the next TV deal with some saying the Championship and League 1 won't be part of it.

Does this mean they are looking for their own TV deal and if so how much could they realistically look to get and how much would they need to be no worse off than now

If the lower leagues are to be separate next time, they could be available cheap enough for a channel like FreeSports and still get more than they currently do. They'd be a fantastic bargain for an opportunist channel - hopefully FTA.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just a question, if they aren't part of it, will SL offer them anything in the way of funding? 

It would be a big issue for many championship and league 1 clubs to have no funding I would think. 

I would doubt they could get much more then their production costs covered for their TV rights. Sad to say but reality I feel. 

17 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Just a question, if they aren't part of it, will SL offer them anything in the way of funding? 

It would be a big issue for many championship and league 1 clubs to have no funding I would think. 

I would doubt they could get much more then their production costs covered for their TV rights. Sad to say but reality I feel. 

It would make the Championship a part time league and mean clubs in it needing to majorly slash costs.

You’d then have to question how promotion and relegation could work when the gulf in standard would be huge. 

I can however see a few Super League chairmen voting in favour of this. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it made clear at the time of the SL quasi-breakaway that Ch and L1 WILL be part of the next deal? 

There was a lot of haggling about the terms of the split if the money fell - there was even a table floating around with the proposed revenue splits - but the Ch/L1 clubs did a pretty good job of presenting a united front and secured a decent compromise. 

So not sure what the current rumours stem from. 

Also, @futtocks the Ch/L1 currently get about £4 mln a year from the current deal, and there's no chance Freeview or a terrestrial are going to pay more than that on their own. 

FTA/club TV/apps *might* be something that can be negotiated in addition to the core contract - there's an argument that it helps promote the main pay-TV service, but that would have to be part of the deal agreed with Sky or whoever. 

Indeed, Sky are puttung more games on Mix these days and seem to have allowed OurLeague to get going without any reduction in payments so they're kind of going down this road themselves anyway. 

20 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If the lower leagues are to be separate next time, they could be available cheap enough for a channel like FreeSports and still get more than they currently do. They'd be a fantastic bargain for an opportunist channel - hopefully FTA.

I haven't done the full calculations but if you add together all the central distribution for Championship and League 1 - it must come to something like £3m. Where the hell are FreeSports going to find that cash from plus all the cash to actually broadcast the games?

People are dreaming if they think there is any hope for a TV deal outside Sky wrapping up the whole packages.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I haven't done the full calculations but if you add together all the central distribution for Championship and League 1 - it must come to something like £3m. Where the hell are FreeSports going to find that cash from plus all the cash to actually broadcast the games?

People are dreaming if they think there is any hope for a TV deal outside Sky wrapping up the whole packages.

You're right about FreeSports; they can't afford serious money (and would they fit in in amongst all the interminable Ice Hockey?).

However, many other channels are available and some, like Quest, have been beginning to make inroads into the sports market over the last few years. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

RFL Governance Statement; 

- Provides financial certainty for the balance of the current broadcast contract;

- Enshrines an automatic promotion and relegation mechanism between Super League and the Championship relating to on-field performance whilst ensuring the equitable application of minimum standards and support for all its competitions.  This in turn will ensure that the RFL and the competitions below Super League are able to attract investment from those with the ambition of getting to Super League;

- Includes a financial guarantee to the RFL from SLE beyond the current broadcast term;

Archived