Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Toronto Monday 22nd April 2019

After the must-win nature of the York game, Monday's game probably fits more into the category of "pleasant bonus" if we manage to win, though expectations will be higher after Friday's good win.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/broadbent-bolsters-rovers-ranks-orWHG

19-man squad named and Jack Broadbent for Jimmy Beckett is the only squad change. This might be something to do with Davies' injury picked up yesterday, if he's not fit, you'd think Walters will move to his position as right edge 2nd row, with Hardcastle perhaps reverting to centre and Broadbent on the wing.

Toronto are going to be very hard to beat if they are at their best, but they have produced one or two poor efforts this year so who knows what might happen if we really bring it on Monday. UTR.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

After the must-win nature of the York game, Monday's game probably fits more into the category of "pleasant bonus" if we manage to win, though expectations will be higher after Friday's good win.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/broadbent-bolsters-rovers-ranks-orWHG

19-man squad named and Jack Broadbent for Jimmy Beckett is the only squad change. This might be something to do with Davies' injury picked up yesterday, if he's not fit, you'd think Walters will move to his position as right edge 2nd row, with Hardcastle perhaps reverting to centre and Broadbent on the wing.

Toronto are going to be very hard to beat if they are at their best, but they have produced one or two poor efforts this year so who knows what might happen if we really bring it on Monday. UTR.

must be fit because he's named in squad

changes from friday broadbent on wing  hardcastle in centre walters starting second row with day  davies on bench instaed of boas

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Did they train this morning? Unless it was definitely confirmed as a long-term injury I'd expect him to have been named, the squad had to be in about 16 hours after yesterday's final hooter. The fact he hasn't already been ruled out is encouraging, I guess.

Put the whip to that Philly...the Pack is on your tail!

Tricky one this for me. If Davies is fit , assume Maskill does not play we could have a spare forward, with Boas on the bench.

We beat Sheffield by 18pts.
Sheffield beat Toulouse by 28pts on Friday
Toulouse beat Toronto by 30pts a few weeks ago
(adds them up) so it's Fev by 76pts for me. ?

Seriously who knows, neither team has actually been that consistent. Let's hope they play how they did against Dewsbury, and we don't.

Massive game for Jack Bussey today.

Quality across their ranks but Blake Wallace stepping off his left foot the biggest danger for me. Been killing teams with that move every time I've seen them.

To have a chance of beating Toronto we must throw the ball about and keep their defence moving.In the games i have watched on TV that is the best chance to beat them,although it will be difficult.Just had a look on the W.Hill  website and they have the match priced at2/7 Toronto 5/2 Fev .So i was not far out with my priceing up of the game at 2/7 and 3/1 Fev.

Well we might have lost but if that display didn't make you proud then nothing will. We threw everything at them and they were clinging on for dear life for most of that second half.

Bussey produced an astonishing display in attack, ripping through them time and time again,  he seems to have taken his form to a new level since he rejoined us. Unfortunately whilst he's playing at half back he's having to defend out wide and through no fault of his own that's always going to be tough and Toronto exploited that side. I'd still like to see him playing as an old-fashioned 13 so he can defend in the middle rather than on the edge.

Lots of good moments from Chisholm again, we're always going to have to take the rough with the smooth with him but the way he opened them up a couple of times in the second half was top class (including for THAT try), it's nice to have such a threat.

The team spirit looks excellent right now, where we are now under Carr is amazing really when you think where we were about 3 months ago.

Got to feel for Broadbent, he's a young kid playing an unfamiliar position and hope fans don't throw him under the bus. The third try he narrowly missed out on was a cracking effort just to pick the ball up on the run. Could and probably should have had three tries but not to be.

Not felt this upbeat after a loss for a long time. Yes its frustrating we couldn't put it to bed again but in all honesty not many teams are going to beat Toronto, if we play close to the level we have played the last 3 or 4 games we will make top 5.

Spot on Phantom. Some of their tactics were to say the least dubious. AS you say the team spirit is first class with a bit more composure we would have won, For me the best chance was Luke he just did not back himself. Chisholm is class but sometimes a pas is just as effective as a kick. Still no complaints a good exciting game of Rugby.

Did not attend due to the owd arthritis playing up. Thought it was the best display by the halves which I have seen for some time. Think we just require a little more beef  up front. Toronto nowt to shout about on this showing, IMO.

21 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Does anyone know what our best forward John Davies  who was missing today and who could have made a big difference today what he is suffering with and how long he may be out?

Pulled up in York game with hamstring 

Archived