Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Toronto Monday 22nd April 2019

2 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

The only difference between the two sides was the passing. Broadbent could have had a first half hat trick, but until I watch the replay I don't know whether the two missed chances when he should have scored in the corner were down to him or Sutcliffe? Where he stepped in touch he seemed to be crowded out by Sutcliffe going for the line rather than drawing the winger and passing. Only those near that corner will know whether Broadbent would have scored in that case? On the second occasion it looked to me like the pass was behind him so couldn't take it cleanly? The third occasion was when Chizzy picked up and broke clear only to be flattened by O'Brien's high tackle, but it looked to me like he should have noticed Broadbent on his outside and should have passed rather than stepping inside?

Many other missed chances that will probably stick on another day, I'd rather have the lucky breaks when we play such as Legh, Sheffield and Bradford, those matches will be four pointers! 

Broadbent shouldve scored the first dont know why he didnt do a dive as Higson had commited to the tackle and left the wing free

2nd one higson makes a play and puts him off but thats another walk in

3rd one when chizzy breaks through he was taken out in back play i think so a pass wouldve gone to ground 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

Not a bad post, the only bit I would change is that the most clinical team won on the day, not necessarily the better team.

Five tries to two proves how clinical they were but Fev were by far the better side for thirty minutes of the second half. Good game for the neutral on TV.

2 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Broadbent shouldve scored the first dont know why he didnt do a dive as Higson had commited to the tackle and left the wing free

2nd one higson makes a play and puts him off but thats another walk in

3rd one when chizzy breaks through he was taken out in back play i think so a pass wouldve gone to ground 

didn't need to dive  had clear run to line but lino said  he stood on line  when he caught ball so no try 

2nd a  tororonto player touched ball and sent  it over his shoulder if no touch THEN it was a walk in 

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Come on...give it up.  Your team played very well (as they always do against Toronto) but came up short...you had your chances to win but could not execute in the end.  The better team won on the day.

Good effort Fev

Tight games are often won by referee's decisions.  Mr Hewer favoured Toronto greatly yesterday.  You should have played the last 5 of the first half and the whole of the second half with 12 men.  A foul on a player who's sure to score is an automatic red. Perhaps someone could explain that to Mr Hewer, or perhaps he already knows and isn't bothered.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Hewer made the completely wrong decision, he should have given him a straight red. Would we have won. I wish I knew the answer

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Tight games are often won by referee's decisions.  Mr Hewer favoured Toronto greatly yesterday.  You should have played the last 5 of the first half and the whole of the second half with 12 men.  A foul on a player who's sure to score is an automatic red. Perhaps someone could explain that to Mr Hewer, or perhaps he already knows and isn't bothered.

Oh quit the whining, there are always close calls that could go either way...I could say Bussey should have gotten a red for head butting....close calls are a nature of the game.  I support the ref in his/her decision making process.

15 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Oh quit the whining, there are always close calls that could go either way...I could say Bussey should have gotten a red for head butting....close calls are a nature of the game.  I support the ref in his/her decision making process.

The KING of wind up merchants has spoken.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Depends on who butted whom really.  Wilkin is a past master at this sort of thing.  But as far as the high tackle goes, the rules are there in the book and the ref didn't adhere to them.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, wasginger said:

Kayakman I suggest you watch the game again, then tell me what O'Brian was doing with Bussey in the tackle, incidently he was 3rd man in which makes it all the better not.

So now Bussey is  a poor innocent who must be protected...that poor little defenceless kid.

Bussey is a big boy and has shown in the past that he can take care of himself.

Looking at the bigger picture at the start of the season  I was a bit scared of Toronto being full time,bank rolled and filled with SL players etc etc but what Monday proved to me is that if we get into the top five and if we met Toronto then we have a decent chance of beating them so onwards and upwards.

9 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Looking at the bigger picture at the start of the season  I was a bit scared of Toronto being full time,bank rolled and filled with SL players etc etc but what Monday proved to me is that if we get into the top five and if we met Toronto then we have a decent chance of beating them so onwards and upwards.

You could do it...you have done it before...you have a good team there.

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

with all due respect kman it doesn't matter what bussey did or didn't do later on in the match rules are rules 

foul someone in the act of scoring straight red end of story

2 minutes ago, POR said:

with all due respect kman it doesn't matter what bussey did or didn't do later on in the match rules are rules 

foul someone in the act of scoring straight red end of story

You mean the intentional knock on by a Fev player when Toronto was pressing near the Fev line...are you saying that should have been an automatic red?

The ref is there to make the call...even though I might not always agree, hindsight is always 20/20.

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You mean the intentional knock on by a Fev player when Toronto was pressing near the Fev line...are you saying that should have been an automatic red?

The ref is there to make the call...even though I might not always agree, hindsight is always 20/20.

a knock on isn't a foul and yes refs have to make calls on what they see knock ons ostructions  offsides etc but this rule  is written in law you cant have a call you have to abide by the rules

throwing the ball on the pitch when the ball was already in play when we were pressing yet again.  now that is professionalism....

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

Beswick could have walked for an headbutt aswell, part of the crusher tackle incident by Ashton simms, that got put on report, Beswick sticks the head in while hes on floor, hopefully the rfl pick up on that, when they review the incident, Beswick should get atleast same punishment as bussy, as id say Beswicks is probably worse.

1 hour ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Beswick could have walked for an headbutt aswell, part of the crusher tackle incident by Ashton simms, that got put on report, Beswick sticks the head in while hes on floor, hopefully the rfl pick up on that, when they review the incident, Beswick should get atleast same punishment as bussy, as id say Beswicks is probably worse.

There was no crusher tackle!  As soon as the head of Bussey was starting to get cranked down Simms totally backed off...no ill intent whatsoever......and as for Bewick, that man has a Halo around his head...sort of reminds one of an Irish monk for the Love of Mike!

That was a superb team performance; if only we'd been more clinical we could have won by 20 points! I only hope Carr and the boys turn out to be as chuffed with the performance as I was. I'd say we're sometimes guilty of playing the 'idea' of teams like Toronto as much as anything else - one of the downsides perhaps of having a younger inexperienced team - rather than just playing what's in front of us, and we certainly gave them too much respect in the first half. Once we got past that and cut loose in the second half, they really struggled to stay with us. When you consider the amount of money Toronto's sugar-daddy has sp*nked over what is little more than a toy, you have to laugh at how very ordinary they are starting to look.

Hugely encouraging then to see us outplay and outfight Toytown (again!) for large parts of the game, which is hopefully a sign of what we may yet be capable of this season if we can just live up to the benchmark we've now set, while maintaining a settled side (particularly in the pivots) and riding our luck a wee bit more on the injury/suspension front. I'd be tempted to try and sign Chisholm right now if at all possible, even if it costs a small fee, as he is clearly improving our creative output exponentially, while it would also remove the risk of Bradford messing us about with the loan later in the season. Either way I'm very glad to have him.

2 hours ago, POR said:

a knock on isn't a foul and yes refs have to make calls on what they see knock ons ostructions  offsides etc but this rule  is written in law you cant have a call you have to abide by the rules

Are you saying that an intentional knock on is not a violation of the rules?

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

There was no crusher tackle!  As soon as the head of Bussey was starting to get cranked down Simms totally backed off...no ill intent whatsoever......and as for Bewick, that man has a Halo around his head...sort of reminds one of an Irish monk for the Love of Mike!

I didnt think there was much in the Simms tackle, when i watch it from the front angle, but looks worse from the back angle, were you see his legs raise from the floor while busseys neck is bent in half, putting added pressure on his neck. The sky commentators pretty certain it was a crusher tackle, video aldo shows Beswick swing his head a good foot into Busseys head after tackle is complete, so lets see what the diciplinary have to say about it. If Bussey gets a ban and Beswick doesnt, the rfl is defo corrupt.

4 minutes ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

I didnt think there was much in the Simms tackle, when i watch it from the front angle, but looks worse from the back angle, were you see his legs raise from the floor while busseys neck is bent in half, putting added pressure on his neck. The sky commentators pretty certain it was a crusher tackle, video aldo shows Beswick swing his head a good foot into Busseys head after tackle is complete, so lets see what the diciplinary have to say about it. If Bussey gets a ban and Beswick doesnt, the rfl is defo corrupt.

I think Bussey will get a ban but Beswick and Simms won't...they are innocent.

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I think Bussey will get a ban but Beswick and Simms won't...they are innocent.

Good one Kman, you're a true Rugby League fan.

You're as one eyed as the rest of us???

In that spirit.  I've not seen a recording of the game yet, but Bussey was definitely the victim and both Beswick and Simms need banning for at least eleventy seven games.

Archived