Toronto Affect Still to be felt

IM2

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Toronto Affect Still to be felt

Not really, Sky show our great CHAMPIONSHIP sides on the back of them being there.

You are a hell of a character.

A quick note on the match Fev I was rooting for you, what a great effort!

https://torontosun.com/sports/other-sports/toronto-wolfpack-rally-for-win-over-featherstone-rovers

Toronto Wolfpack rally for win over Featherstone Rovers

TWP Unpredicted effect reminded Oxford just how good the Champioship is!

TWP completely predictable effect reminded many that being miserable is a calling not a profession.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

22 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Do you know what it is? Positivity. Look around this thread or even on the terraces and all you hear is doom and gloom. As you see already the media and other sports clubs have taken TWP under their wing, and why not?? Over here its a different story.

All the media do is report all the hype. Did you watch Perez's interview with Dave Woods in 2016. He oozed positivity about how TWP were going to produce great RL players very quickly and bring American TV riches to the game. We are nearly three years on and his plans turned to dust and he left TWP, and now he's spouting the same stuff for Ottawa.

Why do you and a score of others on here fall for all this  rubbish? The messiah Perez is playing you guys like a fiddle. Repeat after me:-

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

21 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

I think it should also be acknowledged that TWP are trailblazers. There was no blueprint for a North American team in a British league and, inevitably, TWP's  pathway is necessarily developmental. In the long term, it would make sense, economically and strategically, to have a more embedded Canadian operation.

Same again. What exact "Trail" did TWP "Blaze"? As above they were going to develop RL in North America with a top down approach that would inspire talented"footballers" to convert to RL, from which NA TV media interest would bring in the money. As Perez said it needed 4-5 clubs to follow that trail to Superleague at which point a massive American TV deal would occur. 

He left the TWP as a massive loss making venture with no players and no TV deal produced, he repeats the same nonsense for Ottawa ( fools you twice - shame on you) and Wilby (no not a big Canadian businessman) get's drawn in. The result of that nobody wants to acknowledge is Superleague call this out as being phoney baloney (An English team, owned by an Australian in Canadian shirts)  and tell the Championship they have to decide if they want to go on with this. Don't you get this?

13 hours ago, Loup said:

Your North American sports model is professional baseball. There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball (plus 256 professional teams in the minor leagues). MLB teams play 162 games over a six-month season, in the US and Canada, not including playoffs. They travel from coast to coast to do so. Birthplace has no bearing on which club the players represent. Toronto Blue Jays have never had more than two Canadians on the roster at any time, altho there are a number of Canadians playing pro baseball. Apart from the US & Canada, pro baseball players come in significant numbers from Cuba, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico.............

That America can drag the best baseball players from poor countries has nothing at all to do with Rugby League unless you think Canadian RL clubs can drag poor working class northern English lads to go over to Canada to play there. Problem is you'll deplete the game badly here and kill it off. The game here isn't going to stand for it's player pool being dragged over there hence the signal from Superleague they don't want phoney North American clubs. They will take Toulouse.

17 hours ago, Keith989 said:

I can see a big increase in the interest for Toronto when they get promoted but at the end of the day it's wasted unless like you say they put in the necessary steps to grow the grassroots game. This is far more important in terms of real expansion then any amount of professional clubs. 

When they get promoted? Check the rules - a guest club has to be invited in, and I saw no welcome mats in top SL bosses Pearson and McManus's comments recently.

ANYWAY thank you for acknowledging what real expansion is and how North America do not offer it. There's a shedload of Rugby going on in Toronto, same in Ottawa, but it's all tied up by Rugby Union. Perez swanning around these places spouting expansion is only the same as if he was over here running around the Leicester & Northampton area, and the Bristol & Gloucester area spouting how he was going to create big RL clubs there - and that's been tried before hasn't it!!

We really do need to get to the point where this awful distraction is put to bed. The ridiculous nonsense of NA expansion and the qualifiers and MPG are nearly at an end and some of those crowds we got this weekend are heartening and put an end to the myth RL is dying here and Perez is somehow the saviour. How incredibly embarrassing these two damaging episodes have been and how badly it reflects on Nigel Wood who allowed all this nonsense. If Superleague has struggled this last few years he's the man to blame.

17 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

When they get promoted? Check the rules - a guest club has to be invited in.

If they were blocked it would be the worst PR mistake they have made, worse than asking the Catalans for money to play in the challenge cup.

I appreciate that most super league teams are scared of Toronto, the whole dynamic would change as Toronto could easily buy their way to the top. But these super league bosses need to stop with this phoney club rubbish. It's small time thinking and the sport doesn't need that much bad publicity if they blocked promotion. Toronto have made more positive space in major news outlets, the last few years, than any super league team. 

Some people would rather kill the sport just so it stays the same.

I disagree, Toronto could not buy their way to the top....not under the current rules. In fact, they'll be at a serious disadvantage. However, the dynamics could change....they could gather consensus for serious raises in the Salary Cap should Ottawa & NYC follow them into SL......existing SL Clubs could spend themselves into oblivion trying to keep up or get left far behind......well Pro RL will be unavailable to watch live at grounds outside of Leeds & London but at least we will be able to buy Watch NRL & Watch Transatlantic as well.......maybe get a small discount if you buy both. 

58 minutes ago, North but south said:

If they were blocked it would be the worst PR mistake they have made, worse than asking the Catalans for money to play in the challenge cup.

I appreciate that most super league teams are scared of Toronto, the whole dynamic would change as Toronto could easily buy their way to the top. But these super league bosses need to stop with this phoney club rubbish. It's small time thinking and the sport doesn't need that much bad publicity if they blocked promotion. Toronto have made more positive space in major news outlets, the last few years, than any super league team. 

Some people would rather kill the sport just so it stays the same.

Do we want any team buying itself to the top, we had that in the mid 80's to the mid 90's with Wigan RLFC, it was no good for the sport in general (OK for Wigan and its fans) so the rules were altered to ensure it did not happen again, so why would the SL clubs want to give the league credence for any single club to simply out-spend all the others, it just doesn't make sense and it won't happen.

I have used the expression before that charity begins at home, SL Chairmen have a duty to their fans and sponsers and not to some other person rich enough to satisfy his own pleasure, they will not entertain multiple teams from across the Atlantic to supply them with their players, that would detract from the quality of their own teams, as I said they have a duty to their fan's and sponsers first and foremost and who would blame those people if they abandoned the club, if the club let it's best assests go.

We have to look after the game here in this country, we need to produce more player's, every club should be instructed to do that, getting into the communities and working with the grass roots, if we don't reverse the falling of we have with partcipants who want to play the game we will shortly be in big trouble. Replacing teams over here in SL who are capable of cranking up the production belt with teams from area's who for whatever reason can't do that is completely the wrong way to go.

One final point is that Mr Leneghan said that any promoted team will have to meet certain criteria before being allowed to enter SL, he has kept whatever that is firmly in his pocket, maybe just maybe it could be regarding player production? 

3 hours ago, The Parksider said:

How incredibly embarrassing 

How incredibly embarrassing would it be if the Rfl blocked a team that had successfully won and earned their promotion place on the field by beating others. The very system that the Rfl themselves put in place. That would be a PR disaster and heads would roll if it happened.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have used the expression before that charity begins at home, SL Chairmen have a duty to their fans and sponsers and not to some other person rich enough to satisfy his own pleasure, they will not entertain multiple teams from across the Atlantic to supply them with their players, that would detract from the quality of their own teams, as I said they have a duty to their fan's and sponsers first and foremost and who would blame those people if they abandoned the club, if the club let it's best assests go.

I would argue that Chairmen should first and foremost have a duty to the game to ensure that it flourishes before anything else, especially before their own interests as you have stated above.

3 hours ago, The Parksider said:

- a guest club has to be invited in, and I saw no welcome mats in top SL bosses Pearson and McManus's comments recently.

I don't think you should doubt Mr Perez on his words from years ago - he isn't the coach responsible at Toronto.He has now taken his attention to Ottawa.

Mr Pearson has made more recent comment(s) - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jan/07/super-league-clubs-transformed-adam-pearson-hull

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/adam-pearson-hull-fc-attack-1958525

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do we want any team buying itself to the top, we had that in the mid 80's to the mid 90's with Wigan RLFC, it was no good for the sport in general (OK for Wigan and its fans) so the rules were altered to ensure it did not happen again, so why would the SL clubs want to give the league credence for any single club to simply out-spend all the others, it just doesn't make sense and it won't happen.

People quite enjoy watching the very best of sportsmen.

That was when 'household names' were known in rugby league circles.

Aren't the Harlem Globetrotters extremely popular with spectators worldwide?

Didn't George Best and Manchester United draw large attendances?  It wasn't just for the red shirts NOT displaying sponsors names on the front.

If a club can generate money it should be applauded.Messrs Lenagan and Pearson et al  want money taken from others and used themselves.Hardly equitable when they already have a distinct advantage.

The new kids on the block - with optimism,ideas,and making swift progression,does it for me.They bring the colours of the rainbow to the dark and gloomy.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Just a question that may have already been answered, if toronto make the GF do they get hosting rights, and if so would they potentially play it at BMO Stadium across the road from Lamport. With the support they already have and marketed properly they'd probably get a decent crowd and create a bit of mainstream news buzz in Toronto.

8 hours ago, The Parksider said:

All the media do is report all the hype. Did you watch Perez's interview with Dave Woods in 2016. He oozed positivity about how TWP were going to produce great RL players very quickly and bring American TV riches to the game. We are nearly three years on and his plans turned to dust and he left TWP, and now he's spouting the same stuff for Ottawa.

Why do you and a score of others on here fall for all this  rubbish? The messiah Perez is playing you guys like a fiddle. Repeat after me:-

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

Same again. What exact "Trail" did TWP "Blaze"? As above they were going to develop RL in North America with a top down approach that would inspire talented"footballers" to convert to RL, from which NA TV media interest would bring in the money. As Perez said it needed 4-5 clubs to follow that trail to Superleague at which point a massive American TV deal would occur. 

He left the TWP as a massive loss making venture with no players and no TV deal produced, he repeats the same nonsense for Ottawa ( fools you twice - shame on you) and Wilby (no not a big Canadian businessman) get's drawn in. The result of that nobody wants to acknowledge is Superleague call this out as being phoney baloney (An English team, owned by an Australian in Canadian shirts)  and tell the Championship they have to decide if they want to go on with this. Don't you get this?

That America can drag the best baseball players from poor countries has nothing at all to do with Rugby League unless you think Canadian RL clubs can drag poor working class northern English lads to go over to Canada to play there. Problem is you'll deplete the game badly here and kill it off. The game here isn't going to stand for it's player pool being dragged over there hence the signal from Superleague they don't want phoney North American clubs. They will take Toulouse.

When they get promoted? Check the rules - a guest club has to be invited in, and I saw no welcome mats in top SL bosses Pearson and McManus's comments recently.

ANYWAY thank you for acknowledging what real expansion is and how North America do not offer it. There's a shedload of Rugby going on in Toronto, same in Ottawa, but it's all tied up by Rugby Union. Perez swanning around these places spouting expansion is only the same as if he was over here running around the Leicester & Northampton area, and the Bristol & Gloucester area spouting how he was going to create big RL clubs there - and that's been tried before hasn't it!!

We really do need to get to the point where this awful distraction is put to bed. The ridiculous nonsense of NA expansion and the qualifiers and MPG are nearly at an end and some of those crowds we got this weekend are heartening and put an end to the myth RL is dying here and Perez is somehow the saviour. How incredibly embarrassing these two damaging episodes have been and how badly it reflects on Nigel Wood who allowed all this nonsense. If Superleague has struggled this last few years he's the man to blame.

I too would be worried about this top down approach to expansion but what choice does league have with such a weak international body in terms of growing the game? Until the RLIF actually gain some sort of power and create international windows, how else will we see expansion of any sort?

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

We have to look after the game here in this country, we need to produce more player's, every club should be instructed to do that, getting into the communities and working with the grass roots, if we don't reverse the falling of we have with partcipants who want to play the game we will shortly be in big trouble. Replacing teams over here in SL who are capable of cranking up the production belt with teams from area's who for whatever reason can't do that is completely the wrong way to go.

One final point is that Mr Leneghan said that any promoted team will have to meet certain criteria before being allowed to enter SL, he has kept whatever that is firmly in his pocket, maybe just maybe it could be regarding player production? 

The fact is that blocking Toronto for spurious reasons will create such bad PR that it will damage not just for rugby league but also the teams they are attempting to protect. 

Yes no one wants a team buying the title but these chairmen have a duty of care over their clubs, Fans,  players, and communities. Rugby league can do without another load of bad PR damaging the sport, especially when the team on the end of it is the only real good PR the sport gets in major news.

I think the key to Toronto's longevity will be success, they've had a good few years nearly got back to back promotions and are currently sitting top of the Championship so the fans are used to having it quite well. The true gauge will be when they get to SL and aren't winning every game and go through tough times we'll see if they really are a novelty or here for the long term 

I'm not being negative, sports fans are incredibly fickle and when the going gets tough some just leave. It'll make things even tougher because TW have some incredible competition from the other sports in Toronto so if one team aren't doing so great they could always go to another sport in the meanwhile. 

As for the Ottawa and NY bids my only real worry about them coming in is the player pool is so tiny especially in the UK is that is their enough players to go around and of sufficient quality? Or will these teams be the last call of top NRL players wanting to experience USA sport and get a final big payday? 

I do agree however that it's a very exciting time for the sport 

19511433_1375790279214260_3955754964281790455_n.jpg

1 hour ago, RL is the future said:

I think the key to Toronto's longevity will be success, they've had a good few years nearly got back to back promotions and are currently sitting top of the Championship so the fans are used to having it quite well. The true gauge will be when they get to SL and aren't winning every game and go through tough times we'll see if they really are a novelty or here for the long term 

I'm not being negative, sports fans are incredibly fickle and when the going gets tough some just leave. It'll make things even tougher because TW have some incredible competition from the other sports in Toronto so if one team aren't doing so great they could always go to another sport in the meanwhile. 

As for the Ottawa and NY bids my only real worry about them coming in is the player pool is so tiny especially in the UK is that is their enough players to go around and of sufficient quality? Or will these teams be the last call of top NRL players wanting to experience USA sport and get a final big payday? 

I do agree however that it's a very exciting time for the sport 

' experience USA sport ' as in living in Manchester and flying to Canada 10 times a year for the weekend ?

I think the appointment of Brian McDermott is a very good choice for Toronto.

Lots of youngsters were developed at London,while he was there - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/25928537

and he played American players in the last World Cup - https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/29785/11122119/brian-mcdermott-says-progress-has-been-made-with-usa

It is not only the amount of silverware that he has guided his players to that cannot be matched by any other coach.

His affect at Toronto is also still to be felt.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Look at the Super League winners list. You'll see that 3 teams have bought themselves to the top since the beginning. 

Truely bizarre that you could type that out with a serious face.

new rise.jpg

Archived