Toronto Affect Still to be felt

IM2

5 hours ago, The Parksider said:

You clearly believe hype and big talk is how to succeed at sport rather than develop quality players and find big paying TV deals. Why? Over to you to explain yourself??

Its circular logic, the problem is we both see the start of the circle at different places.

To successful you need quality players

To get quality players you need a talent pool

To get a talent pool you need player development

To get player development people to be interested in playing

To get people interested in playing they need to know about the sport and teams

To get people to know about the team you need marketing and tv deal

To have marketing and a good tv deal you need a successful team.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

You either have a level playing field or you don't. You can't disproportionately disadvantage some clubs and call it a level playing field. You cant de-fund some clubs and call it a level playing field. You can't advantage others through inherent structural bias and call it a level playing field. 

You could use a lot less words just saying you don't want forriners or outsiders playing and want to go back to a local parish league and you don't want a level playing field because your village might be left behind so you would happily see the game conspire to keep those clubs down because your hope is they go bust and disappear and almost by default your club might be relevant again. It would save you a lot of time. 

Doesn't Perpignan operate with a 7% income tax rate?

1 hour ago, krakauer said:

"Grow With The English team, owned by an Australian, in Canadian Jerseys made in China who mainly play in England" !

She be called globalization.

They represent the city of Toronto, by playing for the team and bringing victory to the city. Same as all the players of *whatever* nationalities that play for the Leafs, raptors and blue Jays. Just like all the non-english players playing for Man U or whoever. 

That how pro sports work, I fail to see how nationality is relevant. Ditto for the owners. A team's identity is based on where they play and who they represent.  

Besides, 50% of the city of Toronto wasn't born in Canada,  so I'd say people from other countries representing them is especially apt.

14 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Besides, 50% of the city of Toronto wasn't born in Canada,  so I'd say people from other countries representing them is especially apt.

I’ve made this point many times but because this differs so much to the way of life in England, they can comprehend or acknowledge that things are different in Toronto. They can only view it through their own experiences. 

3 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

I’ve made this point many times but because this differs so much to the way of life in England, they can comprehend or acknowledge that things are different in Toronto. They can only view it through their own experiences. 

I know your pain.

6 hours ago, North but south said:

I agree that as level playing field would be ideal, but do you believe that teams aren't looking for advantages? Who monitors This? Are the RFL now expected to be tax experts in multiple countries? 

An example of this would be Rangers FC and their EBTs which lead to HMRC forcing them bankrupt. Now a player in the NCCA can not be paid, yet a team like Georgia can attract the best players, much better than Harvard can. I'm not saying a degree in tourism isn't worthwhile, or slim even the chance of pro. But those four years with a new car and your parents house paid off helps.

Sorry mate that has completely gone over my head, you will have to put it in plain English for me to to comprehend your comparative thinking, sorry if I appear to be a bit thick.

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

They represent the city of Toronto, by playing for the team and bringing victory to the city. Same as all the players of *whatever* nationalities that play for the Leafs, raptors and blue Jays. Just like all the non-english players playing for Man U or whoever. 

That how pro sports work, I fail to see how nationality is relevant. Ditto for the owners. A team's identity is based on where they play and who they represent.  

All your points are perfectly correct , but do the Maple Leaf,Raptors and Blue Jay players live in Canada ? , The Man Utd players players live near Manchester 

But the Wolfpack players live in Wigan,Leigh and Warrington , their coach lives in Yorkshire 

13 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Jeez, how can they "buy their way to the top" if the top do not let them in? Are you not aware of the Salary cap either? As for PR two of the big SL Chairmen have recently come out with support for Toulouse and not for "An English team, owned by an Australian, in Canadian Jerseys who mainly play in England" what a massive public criticism that was and guess what, nobody gave much of a stuff. They didn't did they.....?

You clearly believe hype and big talk is how to succeed at sport rather than develop quality players and find big paying TV deals. Why? Over to you to explain yourself??

You think rejecting TWP will create big PR problems oblivious to all the headlines being set up to be "Toulouse enter Superleague" the chairmen have their positive story to tell and their expansion credentials intact once the decision is made - if it is made, and if any journo asks "what about America" well McManus has already publicly denounced the phoney baloney and not a peep of protest apart from 20 people on here.

Oh Harry, don't be annoyed at me but Mr. Lenegan made it clear publicly some time ago to Toulouse the SL criteria for guests was add to the playing pool and add to the TV deal not take from it. This was said to TWP because in that first Interview Perez said his targets were to add to the playing pool and add to the TV deal but he didn't, it was all hype. Then recently McManus came out and said he felt Toulouse had the best chance to add to the playing pool and add to the TV deal as France actually have a structure to produce players and two French clubs in SL will have a far better chance of a TV deal with some proper Derby's.

The "certain criteria" have been in place and in public view for years my friend. 

Thanks for your contribution and the reality check but it seems North by South says TWP will just buy their way to the top of Superleague and murder everyone else!! I've seen a glimpse of TWP in Superleaugue when they disgraced themselves at Warrington on the BBC, and when they played at Leeds and Salford in the play off we didn't see much extra crowd interest in them or any glamour there either.

That's what we have to look forward to and as dull as some people think SL English clubs are, a phoney Canadian club are far more duller if those three "First class" games they played here are anything to go by. 

So how does that money "come from NA" then Tommy? How do we get that money? Not from North American fans through the turnstiles. The only way we can get that money is for "NA" to produce a big TV deal to share here. That's the only way that both SL and Perez have spoken about TWP enriching the game here. So "when" TWP get in SL which NATV company is going to shower us with a multi-million NATV deal so they can show an English team in Canadian jerseys play 10 other English clubs and a French club in a game that the North American audience haven't really heard of and nobody plays there?

For you and me brother our worlds may revolve around Rugby League, but not North Americans. Even TWP "fans" are more interested in the Beer tents than the games.  Free tickets all round eh?

I agree young fella. Why should we try to grow the sport it does not benefit us.

Another thing how about this toulouse mob there full of imports are they not ? This robin halfback should go back to Australia. They seem to bring nothing to our sport also send them out of league. 

16 minutes ago, winnyason said:

I agree young fella. Why should we try to grow the sport it does not benefit us.

Another thing how about this toulouse mob there full of imports are they not ? This robin halfback should go back to Australia. They seem to bring nothing to our sport also send them out of league. 

But they do have some French players and the players they do have live in Toulouse , not Bradford Wigan and Warrington 

On 21/04/2019 at 21:02, Angelic Cynic said:

While I admire,greatly,what you have done for the sport,and your club,my only concern is why the wealthy in and around London have not been as enthusiastic,despite a London club at a final at Wembley,and your annual event in the city of London?

London is a big place but it is already rammed with a multitude of professional sports clubs; there's a lot of options for those bums on seats. Getting a RL team to break in to the London mass market is like the Rock&Roll dream of a British band breaking into the USA. It can be done, but it will take some big effort. RFL need to put their shoulders to the wheel if they really want to see this happen.

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

not a raised cap, or being allowed more overseas players as permitted by the rules of the comp

As Toronto Wolfpack are based in Manchester and employ mostly British & Australians, which players count as overseas players? Would it be a Canadian one? ??

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But they do have some French players and the players they do have live in Toulouse , not Bradford Wigan and Warrington 

Haha agree taking a jab. He out of control. Toulouse has more frenchman in 17 than dragons. 

12 hours ago, North but south said:

Although Toronto couldn't spend over the salary cap they can go via loopholes which aren't legally available here, as Glasgow rangers found out. 

Also if they pay in can$ the exchange rates and cost of living being cheaper means people could see salary increase without breaking the cap.

Cost of living where ?

4 hours ago, TheReaper said:

"A team's identity is based on where it plays" - TOWolfpack have played mostly in the UK?

"50% of the city of Toronto wasn't born in Canada,  so I'd say people from other countries representing them is especially apt". - Fair enough, but if you had 50% Canadian Players that would be a good thing, right?

15 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

"A team's identity is based on where it plays" - TOWolfpack have played mostly in the UK?

"50% of the city of Toronto wasn't born in Canada,  so I'd say people from other countries representing them is especially apt". - Fair enough, but if you had 50% Canadian Players that would be a good thing, right?

There not canadian then they don't live there. Well thats a joke kick them out. 

You Canadian fella's shouldn't get involved in all this bowlocks. You're arguing with people who can't see outside their little bubble because they've been looking inwards for over a hundred years.

They can't even imagine how a club might be grown in a new area (or a new country) and have even given up trying to develop their own sport in their own areas (hotbeds!). They are small minded and probably don't even know the difference between a millionaire and a billionaire. They call our game the greatest game, but they don't really believe it. Deep down they think there's something wrong with it, (blaming the game for their failure to grow it), which means new people simply can't be attracted to it, so any attempt to do so is simply a waste of money. They think anyone investing in the development of new clubs in new areas is a fool. They can't afford to give financial support, but they won't even give you people encouragement!

They'll make up any old rubbish about North American clubs having to use home grown players, when, since day-one, they've scoured the Pacific, Africa and (pre 1995) all the Union playing nations, to fill their home town teams with cheap talent rather than invest in the amateur game. They completely ignore the fact that the football (soccer) clubs on their doorsteps are awash with foreign players and almost all big time professional sports clubs are the same, the world over.

What they are desperately trying to disguise (but failing miserably) is the fact that they are afraid. Afraid of being exposed to real competition. Competition in a BIG wide world, that would embrace Rugby League wholeheartedly if it was promoted by people who know what they are doing and have the courage of their convictions to put their money where their mouths are and for once, do it right.

We've had stories recently about salt of the earth fans, who stay away if they think their team are going to get beaten, or boycott a Toronto game in their home town, because they are envious of Toronto's pizzaz. With fans like these, its no wonder our game is struggling. These kind of fans are the reason we need new ones.

I eagerly await the decision on these new clubs. Hopefully Elstone et al will see the potential in what they have to offer and not be hamstrung by the kind of attitudes that have stifled the growth of the greatest game, for over a hundred years. We need new blood, the best the old guard can offer is to eke out a few more years before we are totally eclipsed by the ugly black shadow of RaRa. 

29 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

You Canadian fella's shouldn't get involved in all this bowlocks. You're arguing with people who can't see outside their little bubble because they've been looking inwards for over a hundred years.

They can't even imagine how a club might be grown in a new area (or a new country) and have even given up trying to develop their own sport in their own areas (hotbeds!). They are small minded and probably don't even know the difference between a millionaire and a billionaire. They call our game the greatest game, but they don't really believe it. Deep down they think there's something wrong with it, (blaming the game for their failure to grow it), which means new people simply can't be attracted to it, so any attempt to do so is simply a waste of money. They think anyone investing in the development of new clubs in new areas is a fool. They can't afford to give financial support, but they won't even give you people encouragement!

They'll make up any old rubbish about North American clubs having to use home grown players, when, since day-one, they've scoured the Pacific, Africa and (pre 1995) all the Union playing nations, to fill their home town teams with cheap talent rather than invest in the amateur game. They completely ignore the fact that the football (soccer) clubs on their doorsteps are awash with foreign players and almost all big time professional sports clubs are the same, the world over.

What they are desperately trying to disguise (but failing miserably) is the fact that they are afraid. Afraid of being exposed to real competition. Competition in a BIG wide world, that would embrace Rugby League wholeheartedly if it was promoted by people who know what they are doing and have the courage of their convictions to put their money where their mouths are and for once, do it right.

We've had stories recently about salt of the earth fans, who stay away if they think their team are going to get beaten, or boycott a Toronto game in their home town, because they are envious of Toronto's pizzaz. With fans like these, its no wonder our game is struggling. These kind of fans are the reason we need new ones.

I eagerly await the decision on these new clubs. Hopefully Elstone et al will see the potential in what they have to offer and not be hamstrung by the kind of attitudes that have stifled the growth of the greatest game, for over a hundred years. We need new blood, the best the old guard can offer is to eke out a few more years before we are totally eclipsed by the ugly black shadow of RaRa. 

Great post, there's just one problem with what you said.

Trying to graft these new and glamorous teams onto the existing small time setup isn't likely to attract the required new fans in the UK, because they can't overcome the game's image of being a small northern sport for northerners that way.  They could in a whole new setup which doesn't include the small time away fan-dependent traditional clubs, but only then.

Archived