Toronto Affect Still to be felt

IM2

22 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I as a RL can I've enjoyed watching some of the Toronto games , but how much actual benefit have the Clubs got from that coverage ?

The gates overall appear to be up a bit on last year, the biggest gates are on the Wolfpack matches. So there's an immediate benefit. If a few of the curious enjoy themselves and come back it could reap benefits for years to come.  

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, krakauer said:

I wouldn't mind paying subscription to ourleague if it was WatchNRL quality.

To date they have been doing bits and pieces for free, on a shoe string budget. Given funding from a subscription model they could quickly ramp up the equipment and the quality.

Just now, krakauer said:

I don't need salesmen if the product is of good quality and RL is.

The sale isn't RL , the sale is the NA clubs and their benefits , it would seem to me that overall the Leigh fans are asking questions just as Mr Elstone is 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The sale isn't RL , the sale is the NA clubs and their benefits , it would seem to me that overall the Leigh fans are asking questions just as Mr Elstone is 

In your opinion, is there anything positive when it comes to the topic of expansion?

1 minute ago, krakauer said:

In your opinion, is there anything positive when it comes to the topic of expansion?

I do believe there can be positives to the sport from expansion , although I don't believe all clubs will benefit 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I do believe there can be positives to the sport from expansion , although I don't believe all clubs will benefit 

Absolutely. Accrington Stanley and Notts County have arguably not really benefitted from allowing other clubs into the Football League, but boy has the sport as a whole.

19 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

As has been proven time and time again (TV deal and produce players) that's only your criteria.

TWP brought in crowds to watch live RL in greater numbers than do at a number of SL clubs. Those fans are active on social media. In the modern world they are pushing harder than lots of teams. On Instagram for example they have more followers than Wakefield and Cas combined (after 3 years), in fact, only Leeds and Wigan have more followers.

Good heavens man get a grip, your truly delusional and I do not mean that as an insult, I worry about you. The requirement for Toulouse to get a TV deal and produce quality French players was openly reported and accepted accordingly I have the cuttings, same for TWP Perez is on you tube saying the criteria he's working to is get a TV deal and develop players.   It's you that has decided the TWP dodgy crowds and free tickets galore is enough to see them promoted with open arms. Clearly if you want to ignore the openly reported facts that 99% of people on here accept and invent your own there's no point to any discussion.

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

15 years from nothing to originate teams, organise leagues, formulate centres of excellence for the elite players in Ontario to develop through to be good enough to compete with those English counties you mention, no disrespect smudger but what planet are you visiting earth from.......

Superleague clubs are not allowed to get involved in Junior development in terms of meddling with the junior amateur clubs. Yes they promote the local game and schools RL through their foundations but it is up to the amateur game to organise clubs and leagues. TWP are stuck in terms of the failure of Mr. Perez's own time at Canada RL when he could not get the Canadian RL amateur or junior game going. It's no good anyone saying give it 10, 15 or 20 years. Canada RL have been going since 2010 and despite TWP there is no Junior game. All the kids are playing union who clearly have the grass roots tied up, and have the volunteers to organise fund raise, and coach Canadian RU kids. The two new applications re-run the same stupid promises they listed to way back in 2016, just a cheap tactic in the hope that the RFL/SL will let them in to avoid bad publicity. 

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

That’s the question? Why haven’t TWP got on with it. Reason being they don’t want youth development, they want others to do that part of it. Everything pertaining to youth on their web site is to keep the peace. 

(TWP business plan) Plan (a) Chuck money at it and stick the brand on a can of beer.

We forget that RL isn't the next big thing in Canada. In the early 1960's it died out in Canada. A 1980's revival also died out around 2000 and guess who tried to resurrect it in 2010? Want a clue??   OK his initials are EP.

And HE left it for dead.

I have no axe to grind other than my distaste for anyone trying to blag their way into Superleague when clearly they have nothing at all to offer certainly NEVER a pro player pool. Certainly NEVER a big TV deal as, as above, the idea that a few thousand paying fans and a few thousand "only here for the beer" hangers on is an indication that a TV deal worth $$$$Millions is somewhere down the line is also delusional. And that word isn't out of context. There is no interest in playing or watching RL in Canada that warrants them ever putting a club in Superleague, and shame on Superleague for dithering so long it's allowed this nonsense to get a roll on. 

23 hours ago, winnyason said:

The main issue with wolfpack and 2 other usa expansions. Is there simply little or no development happening behind the scenes nor in canada is it being planned. Wolfpack aligning themselves with rugby union. For instance if dragons or toulouse went back to elite or the famed super xiii was started, there still a line of juniors and around 80 to 90 clubs. 

Canada and the wolfpack needs to start to with credibilty develop a strong local league. 

A "strong local league" just like that?? Out of thin air?? I've had enough insults and ignorance  from the likes of you to now expect an apology, if your man enough, but no matter as it's enough for me to see someone start to see the light on the American dream with your new found preference for TO. Well done, it's a step in the right direction.

Of course Argyle aligns himself with Canada Union as this is one of his get out choices, join the Pro ranks in American RU. Thankfully  Hector McNeil has allowed him a stake in London Skolars and so his other get out is to help develop a strong London club which would be fantastic. The Australian $Billionaire and RL enthusiast Argylle is a prize Perez lost, and someone who can do the game here a lot of good. I also concur with your "idea" (well more a switch of horses) to Toulouse who Superleague openly favour for promotion (in terms of being invited in as guests). 

The headlines are going to be bad  on the day the RFL's feasibility report hopefully says no to North America (the "bad news" being the only lever Perez and Wilby have left) but the next day when that news is just fish and chips paper it will be good to have an announcement from the Superleague that Toulouse are to be accepted into Superleague, and a heavily backed London Skolars are aiming to follow them.  That would be exciting stuff....REAL expansion not the phoney baloney you fell for.....

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

Development is the word. To create expansion requires that word. Without it you are not expanding. Now before they all jump in and say TWP are only 3 years old. They have created a SL squad from day one, yet not invested a penny (of a bottomless pit of wealth) into expanding.

There are positives in media coverage, but negatives in the fact they have shown no signs evolving. So no different to most lower SL/ CH/L1 Clubs.

my head agrees with you(on some points), my heart just loves this sport. quo vadis?

40 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Good heavens man get a grip, your truly delusional and I do not mean that as an insult, I worry about you. The requirement for Toulouse to get a TV deal and produce quality French players was openly reported and accepted accordingly I have the cuttings, same for TWP Perez is on you tube saying the criteria he's working to is get a TV deal and develop players.   It's you that has decided the TWP dodgy crowds and free tickets galore is enough to see them promoted with open arms. Clearly if you want to ignore the openly reported facts that 99% of people on here accept and invent your own there's no point to any discussion.

Superleague clubs are not allowed to get involved in Junior development in terms of meddling with the junior amateur clubs. Yes they promote the local game and schools RL through their foundations but it is up to the amateur game to organise clubs and leagues. TWP are stuck in terms of the failure of Mr. Perez's own time at Canada RL when he could not get the Canadian RL amateur or junior game going. It's no good anyone saying give it 10, 15 or 20 years. Canada RL have been going since 2010 and despite TWP there is no Junior game. All the kids are playing union who clearly have the grass roots tied up, and have the volunteers to organise fund raise, and coach Canadian RU kids. The two new applications re-run the same stupid promises they listed to way back in 2016, just a cheap tactic in the hope that the RFL/SL will let them in to avoid bad publicity. 

We forget that RL isn't the next big thing in Canada. In the early 1960's it died out in Canada. A 1980's revival also died out around 2000 and guess who tried to resurrect it in 2010? Want a clue??   OK his initials are EP.

And HE left it for dead.

I have no axe to grind other than my distaste for anyone trying to blag their way into Superleague when clearly they have nothing at all to offer certainly NEVER a pro player pool. Certainly NEVER a big TV deal as, as above, the idea that a few thousand paying fans and a few thousand "only here for the beer" hangers on is an indication that a TV deal worth $$$$Millions is somewhere down the line is also delusional. And that word isn't out of context. There is no interest in playing or watching RL in Canada that warrants them ever putting a club in Superleague, and shame on Superleague for dithering so long it's allowed this nonsense to get a roll on. 

A "strong local league" just like that?? Out of thin air?? I've had enough insults and ignorance  from the likes of you to now expect an apology, if your man enough, but no matter as it's enough for me to see someone start to see the light on the American dream with your new found preference for TO. Well done, it's a step in the right direction.

Of course Argyle aligns himself with Canada Union as this is one of his get out choices, join the Pro ranks in American RU. Thankfully  Hector McNeil has allowed him a stake in London Skolars and so his other get out is to help develop a strong London club which would be fantastic. The Australian $Billionaire and RL enthusiast Argylle is a prize Perez lost, and someone who can do the game here a lot of good. I also concur with your "idea" (well more a switch of horses) to Toulouse who Superleague openly favour for promotion (in terms of being invited in as guests). 

The headlines are going to be bad  on the day the RFL's feasibility report hopefully says no to North America (the "bad news" being the only lever Perez and Wilby have left) but the next day when that news is just fish and chips paper it will be good to have an announcement from the Superleague that Toulouse are to be accepted into Superleague, and a heavily backed London Skolars are aiming to follow them.  That would be exciting stuff....REAL expansion not the phoney baloney you fell for.....

Amen.

While it’s great for the 16 teams of the NRL that Parksider is advocating a system that will turn the SL into a purely feeder league for the NRL, I’m not sure it’s good for SL.

The current NRL salary cap is over £5 million with a minimum wage of £55,000. It’s going up in the next few years also.

16 NRL clubs can swoop in a take players quite easily and offer them below market NRL rates too. In return the NRL will offer SL nothing, no player development in the UK, no junior funding in the UK etc. This is what will gut SL, not the investment of NA money into the UK RL structure.

People want to plow money into clubs in the UK pyramid and people are complaining? WTF? You’re not in a position of strength to complain.

I’m looking forward to more NA clubs entering as they’ll insist on every one of their games being televised and SL will suddenly become easier to support if you live outside of a club’s town.

3 hours ago, The Parksider said:

And HE left it for dead.

My preference has always been to france as its geniune and has a decent junior base in the south. The reason why catalans have succeeded. Toulouse havd waited long enough given they lost out to south wales and now could be done by Toronto.

As for apology no not happening and will not. I believe smashing the north american bids seems to be some type of sick past time. But our code needs to grow outside of traditional heartlands of northern England, south west france, east coast australia, north island nz and png. I don't have an issue with the bids have somewhat lack of juniors and clubs in short term which to me is no difference to melbourne storm funnily enough. However there been little help given to Canada rl from twp. While the usa rl has been a basket case since the stole ownership from david niu. 

The biggest negative i see is twp promoting rugby union i don't buy this ###### its all rugby. For instance the rebel italy rl group has done the same and been expelled. 

I say this article is saying in essence the new clubs need to bring in tv deal revenue and pay there own way. To me given its 3 club overseas quota thats 3 clubs already in setup in dragons, twp and toulouse. 

5 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Good heavens man get a grip, your truly delusional

Firstly, its "you're". Again thank you for ignoring the rest of my post. Although I do feel slightly honoured to be called delusional by someone of your status in the delusional community!

5 hours ago, The Parksider said:

if you want to ignore the openly reported facts that 99% of people on here accept and invent your own there's no point to any discussion.

It can't just be me who sees the irony surely???

2 hours ago, Copa said:

While it’s great for the 16 teams of the NRL that Parksider is advocating a system that will turn the SL into a purely feeder league for the NRL, I’m not sure it’s good for SL.

The current NRL salary cap is over £5 million with a minimum wage of £55,000. It’s going up in the next few years also.

16 NRL clubs can swoop in a take players quite easily and offer them below market NRL rates too. In return the NRL will offer SL nothing, no player development in the UK, no junior funding in the UK etc. This is what will gut SL, not the investment of NA money into the UK RL structure.

People want to plow money into clubs in the UK pyramid and people are complaining? WTF? You’re not in a position of strength to complain.

I’m looking forward to more NA clubs entering as they’ll insist on every one of their games being televised and SL will suddenly become easier to support if you live outside of a club’s town.

Amen. 

The big money men who threaten the status of Super League clubs, even the top ones, are already here. Except right now they're in RU and the NRL. If we follow those who want to keep the status quo above all else we will become like the Scottish premiership, formerly great but with the financial power of a park league because we refused to bite the bullet and our top clubs wanted to ensure they stayed as big fish in a small pond. We have to be innovative to attract more cash to the British game otherwise players (at least those of the very top quality) will flood from it.

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Amen. 

If we follow those who want to keep the status quo above all else we will become like the Scottish premiership, formerly great but with the financial power of a park league because we refused to bite the bullet and our top clubs wanted to ensure they stayed as big fish in a small pond. We have to be innovative to attract more cash to the British game otherwise players (at least those of the very top quality) will flood from it.

I think we are already there to be honest....the NA expansion is like a gift which no one expected...its our last chance.

This free gift must be accepted and then nurtured and then grown fully to save the game in the Northern Hemisphere....that is where we are at.

20 hours ago, The Parksider said:

a few thousand paying fans and a few thousand "only here for the beer" hangers on is an indication that a TV deal worth $$$$Millions is somewhere down the line is also delusional.

You saw few pictures of beer garden and built your sermon around it? You sir are looking into the future while staying in the past.

Forget Wikipedia, burn your old encyclopedias , in fact do away with this new fangled internet search engine thingy, none of it is needed the Parksider knows everything and he's quite happy to tell everyone, every day, ad-infinitum , ad nauseam. Forget any one else's opinions, aspirations and dreams with respect to RL expansion because apparently there's only one that counts.  Perhaps I need to repeat Churchills definition of a fanatic-  "someone who won't change his mind and can't change the subject".

I hope the Samaritans have extra staff on when RL approves both Ottawa and New York as they will need to be watching bridges and flyovers near Parky's house.What a sad, angry man. 

I'm quite concerned for my club as they only joined the Northern Union in 1896 so without their own TV deal and Academy side we must be next in line after the Dragons, Fev and Cas!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

17 hours ago, RobertAM said:

I hope the Samaritans have extra staff on when RL approves both Ottawa and New York as they will need to be watching bridges and flyovers near Parky's house.What a sad, angry man. 

Does anyone know when we are likely to find out if they have been approved? I'm sure I read somewhere that it was needed by the end of April.

13 hours ago, North but south said:

Does anyone know when we are likely to find out if they have been approved? I'm sure I read somewhere that it was needed by the end of April.

Eric Pérez was reported to have said that to get everything in place for 2020, Ottawa would need to be approved by then.

On 25/04/2019 at 23:00, Copa said:

If the NRL clubs took their blinkers off and properly scouted SL we could lose 40/50 players no problem who would in NRL terms be dirt cheap. Some would be stand out like Hodgson or Bateman others squad fillers but the cost to what NRL clubs pay would be so low it would be a bargain anyway. 

Archived