Toronto Affect Still to be felt

IM2

15 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

If the NRL clubs took their blinkers off and properly scouted SL we could lose 40/50 players no problem who would in NRL terms be dirt cheap. Some would be stand out like Hodgson or Bateman others squad fillers but the cost to what NRL clubs pay would be so low it would be a bargain anyway. 

And while in the NRL the players’ brands will be worth nothing to SL. All that player development in the UK will only bring fans to the NRL.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

If the NRL clubs took their blinkers off and properly scouted SL we could lose 40/50 players no problem who would in NRL terms be dirt cheap. Some would be stand out like Hodgson or Bateman others squad fillers but the cost to what NRL clubs pay would be so low it would be a bargain anyway. 

If there was 50 players in Super League capable of being regular players in NRL teams i would be amazed and if that is the case we would beat Australia more often then that we do now in tests

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

If there was 50 players in Super League capable of being regular players in NRL teams i would be amazed and if that is the case we would beat Australia more often then that we do now in tests

Being a regular doesn't mean you're a standout.

There are loads of regular French players in SL now. They never beat England.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

The idea of SL becoming pretty much a feeder league to NRL is a frightening one, but very true possibility the way things are going. We can either grow as much as we can or accept our fate.

Accepting our fate could mean the larger clubs leaving to join an expanded NRL (if it benefits both parties), sharing a British TV deal around less clubs so they can meet the salary cap. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 X 8 or 4 X 6 in the NRL, with a Northern Hemisphere conference one day.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The idea of SL becoming pretty much a feeder league to NRL is a frightening one

Yes, a very real problem and the question is can SL do enough stuff, quickly enough to make the difference?

Everyone who counsels slow and steady must understand what the consequences are. Being glacial in your approach is all well and good but the attraction of the NRL, being a star in the proper sense, money, travel and opportunity all happen very quickly.

The same people attacking TWP for taking players fail to mention how losing stars is far more detrimental to the marketing of SL.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Why we regularly beat NZ and they have loads more players in the NRL than us. 

5 hours ago, Oxford said:

Yes, a very real problem and the question is can SL do enough stuff, quickly enough to make the difference?

Everyone who counsels slow and steady must understand what the consequences are. Being glacial in your approach is all well and good but the attraction of the NRL, being a star in the proper sense, money, travel and opportunity all happen very quickly.

The same people attacking TWP for taking players fail to mention how losing stars is far more detrimental to the marketing of SL.

I think we all know deep down that the answer to your question is no and that only a whole new league could possibly reverse the slide of northern hemisphere RL.

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I think we all know deep down that the answer to your question is no and that only a whole new league could possibly reverse the slide of northern hemisphere RL.

No not at all I think some will come to that conclusion I think it's perfectly possible to take what we have here almagamate what the NA clubs bring and create something brilliant, new and completely different, In the hands of naexit party this probably won't happen. In the hands of the RFL it probably either never will or will be left to fester. In the hands of some SL chaiman it will most likely become a dirty deal for the few. Do I imagine, for one moment, that everyone will work together to get the best deal for all involved only when i'm asleep.

The only thing certain is a London dominated UK is a toxic place for TGG expansion because we have very little say or control over the narrative. The question has always been, how  do we get round that obstacle?

More importantly how do we make our game the very model of attractive, interesting and fashionable or trending?

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Mars Marauders it is then 

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

No not at all I think some will come to that conclusion I think it's perfectlt possible to take what we have here almagamate what the NA clubs bring and create something brilliant, new and completely different, In the hands naexit party this probably won't happen. In the hands of the RFL it probably either never will or will be left to fester. In the hands of some SL chaiman it will most likely become a dirty deal for the few. Do I imagine, for one moment, that everyone will work together to get the best deal for all involved only when T'm asleep.

The only thing certain is a London dominated UK is a toxic place for TGG expansion because we have very little say or control over the narrative. The question has always been, how  do we get round that obstacle?

More importantly how do we make our game the very model of attractive, interesting and fashionable or trending?

The answer is a brand new franchised transatlantic league, completely separate from SL and the RFL so that it's not burdened with the small time thinking of those organizations and their small traditional clubs and can overcome the stereotype of RL just being a small northern sport with limited appeal.  I can't think of anything else which could possibly get round that obstacle.

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

The answer is a brand new franchised transatlantic league, completely separate from SL and the RFL so that it's not burdened with the small time thinking of those organizations and their small traditional clubs and can overcome the stereotype of RL just being a small northern sport with limited appeal.  I can't think of anything else which could possibly get round that obstacle.

Well that's one answer but what about the small time and minded SL chairmen?

Also the sport doesn't have limited appeal. To some extent it has limited access but mostly it has a limited approach.

21 minutes ago, Oxford said:

No not at all I think some will come to that conclusion I think it's perfectlt possible to take what we have here almagamate what the NA clubs bring and create something brilliant, new and completely different, In the hands naexit party this probably won't happen. In the hands of the RFL it probably either never will or will be left to fester. In the hands of some SL chaiman it will most likely become a dirty deal for the few. Do I imagine, for one moment, that everyone will work together to get the best deal for all involved only when T'm asleep.

NA has to be the answer on this one for me. We've received more love in 3 years from the Toronto media than we have ever from the London press.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

NA has to be the answer on this one for me. We've received more love in 3 years from the Toronto media than we have ever from the London press.

We have had far more hostility from the London Press and that's when they're not ignoring us which is the bulk of their "effort".

You're spot on and the pain it'll give them to give us coverage will be sweet stuff.

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Well that's one answer but what about the small time and minded SL chairmen?

Also the sport doesn't have limited appeal. To some extent it has limited access but mostly it has a limited approach.

The small time and minded SL chairmen can't be included, they would only bog it down with their worries about trivial things such as away fans.

Other posters have stated that the sport is widely viewed as being just a small northern sport for northerners, which means that it's viewed as having limited appeal.  Without something new and outside the box the sport can't overcome that obstacle.

3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

We have had far more hostility from the London Press and that's when they're not ignoring us which is the bulk of their "effort".

You're spot on and the pain it'll give them to give us coverage will be sweet stuff.

Absolutely. Its thinking outside the box that we need to sadly make our own national media irrelevant.

23 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Other posters have stated that the sport is widely viewed as being just a small northern sport for northerners

I think that says a lot about those posting and nothing about TGG.

20 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think that says a lot about those posting and nothing about TGG.

No, they've stated that they've encountered that opinion firsthand when interacting with other Brits who aren't from the RL heartlands.

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

No, they've stated that they've encountered that opinion firsthand when interacting with other Brits who aren't from the RL heartlands

The point is whether you think that's the issue or the truth and it is not very often portrayed in the way you describe.Some seem to be only too happy that that's the case. But we're getting bogged down and distracted here. When the Lions @ThePack is on!

On 26/04/2019 at 19:58, RobertAM said:

Forget Wikipedia, burn your old encyclopedias , in fact do away with this new fangled internet search engine thingy, none of it is needed the Parksider knows everything and he's quite happy to tell everyone, every day, ad-infinitum , ad nauseam. Forget any one else's opinions, aspirations and dreams with respect to RL expansion because apparently there's only one that counts.  Perhaps I need to repeat Churchills definition of a fanatic-  "someone who won't change his mind and can't change the subject". I hope the Samaritans have extra staff on when RL approves both Ottawa and New York as they will need to be watching bridges and flyovers near Parky's house.What a sad, angry man. 

It all works both ways Robert but clearly not for you. Every day, ad-infinitum, ad nauseam I keep being told Toronto’s crowds are the reason they should be in SL  Every day, ad-infinitum, ad nauseam I am told Canada will produce players Every day, ad-infinitum, ad nauseam I’m told that a big paying TV deal will come once enough NA clubs kick out English clubs here.

So as a fan of the English game for many years who has never believed this rubbish and resent the idea our game should be broken up on empty promises, I’m passionate to have that debate as long as it appears on here and it does Every day, ad-infinitum, ad nauseam. All you appear to want is to demonise and censor me, and worst of all pretend I’m somehow the only one who holds these views. I have a new fact for you. There’s 20-30 dreamers on here all for the Transatlantic league, but tens of thousands of "sad and angry" fans here who won’t stand for their clubs being replaced by phoney NA clubs. Who Elstone suggests will just buy their playing rosters up on each relegation. Laughable.

16 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

There are loads of regular French players in SL now. 

Your actual point taken but go steady. Here’s a major chunk of Les Catalans first team regulars roster: Broughton, Mead, Williame, Tierney,Tompkins, Whiteley, Moa, Smith, Langi, Edwards, McIlorum and Bird. None of these are French. It seems Catalans have the need to employ DOUBLE the number of overseas players all the other SL clubs have which is six. They are becoming less French than ever.

But it appears even though there are not really “loads” more quality French players nowadays than 13 years ago that Superleague still want to prefer Toulouse to Toronto.  I'd be a "happy and content man" (not "sad and angry") if they did.

38 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

There’s 20-30 dreamers on here all for the Transatlantic league, but tens of thousands of "sad and angry" fans here who won’t stand for their clubs being replaced by phoney NA clubs. 

A pity these 'tens of thousands' don't turn out to games to support their clubs then.

39 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

I'd be a "happy and content man" (not "sad and angry") if they did.

'Sad and angry' pretty much sums up most of your postings.

6 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

A pity these 'tens of thousands' don't turn out to games to support their clubs then.

'Sad and angry' pretty much sums up most of your postings.

agree..where are these tens of thousands of upset fans?..not on these forums and not in the stands..delusional doesnt even begin to describe this guy. 

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

There’s 20-30 dreamers on here all for the Transatlantic league, but tens of thousands of "sad and angry" fans here who won’t stand for their clubs being replaced by phoney NA clubs.

there were about 5000 dreamers at Lamport today. There is life outside this forum don't forget.

1 hour ago, krakauer said:

there were about 5000 dreamers at Lamport today. There is life outside this forum don't forget.

9562 attendance We all had a whale of a time.

Archived