Hull FC turn down massive offer for Jake Connor...

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Your so easy and such a hyporcrite you really are. Endless snide thread derailing Tom Johnson references that you seem to find hillarious  then someone gives you one back and you can't take. I knew you were one of thosewho thinks they own the forum  from the start and now I know for certain.

Tom Johnstone is a fine player, one of SL's greatest finishers, I've never said anything different. I and a few others have had a bit of fun suggesting he's the new Messiah or similar childish quips, It's just forum japes, that's what the internet is all about.

On this thread, someone suggests Leeds need an organiser, not a runner. I replied saying Jake Connor is more an organiser than a runner and you quoted me saying "? oh you're not joking!".

Did you mean by this that you thought it was hilarious because, in your opinion, Jake Connor is definitely a runner, not an organiser?

(Oh, by the way, on the latter bit, you are perfectly correct, I am John Drake in disguise...?)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/04/2019 at 10:11, scotchy1 said:

Decent player Connor but all time great or legend? He has a very very long way to go to get there. 

£500k seems a crazy offer, especially as there are the wages on top of that. With the marquee allowance (and possibly a 3rd marquee player next year) you could get a real top player for that. 

That's what I thought.

Must have missed a nought off.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Sorry, but even the worst businessman would not anyone pay out £200k for an ‘agreement’?

Agreement is just the word that I used, but I imagine it was in writing somewhere.

But anyway, I disagree. Sport works differently to business in a lot of ways. Lets say Pearson challenged it and said it's not his responsibility to pay it. How would that affect our future prospects in terms of recruitment? Especially overseas.

One way or another Manu was owed money by Hull, and Pearson was unaware of it.

On 22/04/2019 at 10:16, terrywebbisgod said:

Oldham and Pontefract.Pontefract is local to Leeds,oh,by the way,COHA  signed lads from York this year and tried to sign a few Leeds lads for the 19's (my son being one of them).

Surely 2 other Super League clubs are closer? Wakey or Cas? ?

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

On 22/04/2019 at 12:20, Lowdesert said:

His Wife parts with money easily.  Iirc, KH agreed a deal for Willie Manu which cost a further £200k down the track, undisclosed to Pearson.

Pearson didn't do his due diligence checks properly you mean, you go in to buy a business worth millions you damn well make sure you find out everything, AP is supposed to be a businessman that knows the score, he should have ensured (or rather his accountant) what player contracts/payments were owed. 

Did AP take Kath to court over the money, no, that tells you all you need to know IMO. His error and the 'story' (and frankly Pearson tells a lot of them that are absolute lies/######) only comes from one person, that's the person who apparently lost out due to incompetence.

44 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Pearson didn't do his due diligence checks properly you mean, you go in to buy a business worth millions you damn well make sure you find out everything, AP is supposed to be a businessman that knows the score, he should have ensured (or rather his accountant) what player contracts/payments were owed.  

Did AP take Kath to court over the money, no, that tells you all you need to know IMO. His error and the 'story' (and frankly Pearson tells a lot of them that are absolute lies/######) only comes from one person, that's the person who apparently lost out due to incompetence. 

Correct, just sounds like a failure of due diligence on behalf of Pearson or his advisors.

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Hull would never sell Connor and we all know it.

Leeds have given me the impression they made the offer to give their fans the impression they were after a big signing to lift them up the League when all along they knew it would never come off.  

Furner said he knows nothing about the offer, I bet as always the truth lies somewhere in between 

2 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Hull would never sell Connor and we all know it.

Leeds have given me the impression they made the offer to give their fans the impression they were after a big signing to lift them up the League when all along they knew it would never come off.  

It's mooted they are skint so it's not all that far fetched.

It's hardly a clever ploy to cheer up the Leeds fans either, it's only going to lower the morale of the current halves.

£500K in the context of SL is all the money and more IMO.

I know Hardaker is tarnished goods, but Leeds put £250K on him when initially trying to offload him. Tomkins came back to Wigan for £400K?. Connor isn't half the player of either.

53 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

I know Hardaker is tarnished goods, but Leeds put £250K on him when initially trying to offload him. Tomkins came back to Wigan for £400K?. Connor isn't half the player of either.

Correct, I would say he's twice the player of both.

So there. ?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I think that Leeds are wanting to sign certain players but I'm unsure whether for this season or 2020

It appears a new halveback seems to be the priority?Itseems Leeds have failed with their approach for Connor . However sources say Leeds are now actively looking at alternative players..Could these include Trueman at Castleford and Hastings at Salford?

9 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

It's hardly a clever ploy to cheer up the Leeds fans either, it's only going to lower the morale of the current halves.

Given the choice between the three of them, it would be Connor every time.

16 hours ago, Rhino369 said:

It looks like Leeds Rhinos have missed out on Jake Connor. However several sources have said that Leeds are actively pursuing other players. Any names been mentioned of who Leeds are wanting to sign?

I was trying to think of halves not getting game time in NRL but there’s a scarcity of quality halves about even there. Josh Reynolds was in the reserves until the past few weeks, but for good reason based on his last performance. He’s not a good defender and whilst his kicking game is usually his forte, it was shocking last week. He’s no improvement on Lolohea really. 

On a separate note, I noticed that Bevan French is playing in the reserve grade this year. Surprised me. He would go very well on the wing in SL

9 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

There's only Myler currently 

Jackson Hastings was practically begging Leeds to sign him at the back end of last year but they ignored him. If he's still interested he'd be a very plausible candidate for a deal for next year onwards (and yes sorry Salford fans I know he might decide to stay there just as he could get a deal back home).

1 hour ago, Eleftherios said:

Given the choice between the three of them, it would be Connor every time.

You simply cannot base that opinion on ability or form in the bank surely.

Tomkins and Hardaker are generational players, serial winners and man of steel awardees, both of which have been in the Dream Team three times each.

Connor is an above average SL player and fringe international.

I can only assume you make your choice based on the wage demands of Tomkins and the off field problems of Hardaker making them less appealing than their ability suggests.

8 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

You simply cannot base that opinion on ability or form in the bank surely.

Tomkins and Hardaker are generational players, serial winners and man of steel awardees, both of which have been in the Dream Team three times each.

Connor is an above average SL player and fringe international.

I can only assume you make your choice based on the wage demands of Tomkins and the off field problems of Hardaker making them less appealing than their ability suggests.

My opinion is based on this moment in time. Tomkins has had his day, Hardaker is trouble. Connor is a consistent and improving international.

37 minutes ago, Eleftherios said:

My opinion is based on this moment in time. Tomkins has had his day, Hardaker is trouble. Connor is a consistent and improving international.

My comparisons were when they were in their prime though not today. That's my point.

I'm not saying I prefer either player today, but rather £500K is expensive.

I'd also take Connor over Sutcliffe in a heartbeat, even though he's often a grub.

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I was trying to think of halves not getting game time in NRL but there’s a scarcity of quality halves about even there. Josh Reynolds was in the reserves until the past few weeks, but for good reason based on his last performance. He’s not a good defender and whilst his kicking game is usually his forte, it was shocking last week. He’s no improvement on Lolohea really. 

On a separate note, I noticed that Bevan French is playing in the reserve grade this year. Surprised me. He would go very well on the wing in SL

Just a note re: Lolohea given your comment - well Furner the coach said in a press conference that Lolohea should be looking at full back to establish a place in the team  So he agrees he ain't a decent half back....

30 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Just a note re: Lolohea given your comment - well Furner the coach said in a press conference that Lolohea should be looking at full back to establish a place in the team  So he agrees he ain't a decent half back....

There’s also a question about Walker’s future as it’s rumoured that he could be off to NRL, so that would tie in 

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

There’s also a question about Walker’s future as it’s rumoured that he could be off to NRL, so that would tie in 

Walker, whilst he's got talent is an absolute country mile of NRL standard.

He doesn't have the brain to be a great FB or the physical attributes to be a good tackler.

He's got a good step, he's very agile and he's quite fast. He will peak early.

Teams already target him now. 

His agent might be banging the NRL drum but I doubt many will come knocking.

IMO, like many others kids, he is somewhat of a hype job.

He isn't nearly as good as Tomkins was at 19 or 20, nor will he mature into the conductor & runner that Hardaker is.

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

IMO he needs another year on him at least plus a little bit of weight.  Potential certainly and to be fair to him, sizewise, he’s probably comparable to Brett Hodgson although doesn’t seem to be as resilient.  Time will tell though.

Archived