Normalising Obesity

30 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

What happens now is my responsibility.

… to an extent. And part of the challenge is in discovering what you can control and what you can't. When you work it out, can you let me know how you did it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been reading up on this as one of our area’s most prevalent health conditions is obesity, especially in the under 18s with huge long-term health implications if it’s not resolved.  One bit that keeps coming up that I can’t see any way around is technology.  As a child, I was out as much as possible, except for pre-warned family stuff and going to sleep and I can’t remember any of the lot I grew up with ever being fat, maybe a couple were a bit larger and could be doing with losing some but never fat

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Micheal Buerk has had a go today, I'm sure he will be applauded by some for his common sense no nonsense approach.

EBSbN-bXUAIkztk?format=jpg&name=medium

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 02/08/2019 at 10:55, ckn said:

I’ve been reading up on this as one of our area’s most prevalent health conditions is obesity, especially in the under 18s with huge long-term health implications if it’s not resolved.  One bit that keeps coming up that I can’t see any way around is technology.  As a child, I was out as much as possible, except for pre-warned family stuff and going to sleep and I can’t remember any of the lot I grew up with ever being fat, maybe a couple were a bit larger and could be doing with losing some but never fat

I was recently looking at some old school photos from about 12/13. I couldn't recognise one guy until i worked out it was a guy we all called Ten Ton Tommy Tank, in my mindseye he was obese - in the photos he was about the same build as the guy in the purple shirt above but the rest of use were stick insects with near visible ribs. I think partly it was because he saw himself as fat, not helped by his mum who was a Cambridge Diet distributor putting them on the free samples near month end if she was skint telling him he needed to diet. I remember him saying he was too fat to do a cross country run

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Micheal Buerk has had a go today, I'm sure he will be applauded by some for his common sense no nonsense approach.

EBSbN-bXUAIkztk?format=jpg&name=medium

There's a lot I agree with in this. One thing that isn't touched on is that although obesity rates have soared 10 times, I doubt very much that there has been any change in rates of willpower.

There has clearly been a significant societal change with regards to eating and exercising habits and perhaps the only thing that is certain is that simply telling people to lose weight isn't going to work.

On 02/08/2019 at 10:55, ckn said:

I touched on this in the Fortnite thread. I agree that technology along with its negative effects are here to stay. It has been a battle for sometime, but at least there used to be the feeling that we ought not be on technology too much.

Increasingly, I'm seeing people less apologetic about spending 90% of their waking time in front of a screen. When gaming can now be monetised, I suspect we'll see people being less and less bothered.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have spent an interested afternoon reading through this thread. I am 56 and am borderline overweight/obese, but have lost 4 stone through my own will power - i.e. not part of an organised weight loss group. I accept my weight is entirely my responsibility, and am desperate to lose more. I enjoy buying clothes with fewer x's,  and feel unbelievably healthy compared to how I have before.

However, what some people, perhaps many, don't understand is the relationship that obese people have with food. I have been accused of not caring about what food I eat and what I look like, but nothing could be further from the truth - I used to worry about what I was eating constantly, feel guilty if what I ate was not healthy enough, hate myself for eating it, and eat ###### as a consequence. I think the key was/is breaking that cycle. For me, consuming food is a psychological thing not a physical thing!

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

I have spent an interested afternoon reading through this thread. I am 56 and am borderline overweight/obese, but have lost 4 stone through my own will power - i.e. not part of an organised weight loss group. I accept my weight is entirely my responsibility, and am desperate to lose more. I enjoy buying clothes with fewer x's,  and feel unbelievably healthy compared to how I have before.

However, what some people, perhaps many, don't understand is the relationship that obese people have with food. I have been accused of not caring about what food I eat and what I look like, but nothing could be further from the truth - I used to worry about what I was eating constantly, feel guilty if what I ate was not healthy enough, hate myself for eating it, and eat ###### as a consequence. I think the key was/is breaking that cycle. For me, consuming food is a psychological thing not a physical thing!

I have come round to a similar view, despite not having experience of being significantly overweight.

It took me a long time to realise the extent to which, for women particularly, fatness is seen as a moral rather than a physiological issue. Back when I was a skinny 23 year old, desperately eating to stay alive, many fat women were positively hateful at my gluttony. To me, it was physiology, when things slowed down I was pleased (not cycling 25 miles a day, training for rugby league and playing probably helped).

To them, me eating and being thin was saying that I was better than them as deserved to eat food without getting fat. I do not think it was conscious, but something deeply irrational was at work.

This link with moral shame rather than physiology does a great deal of damage. Shaming people will not help. You keep mentioning guilt and while I think it is deeper typically with women, you mention guilt several times.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 01/09/2020 at 16:32, distantdog said:

People who've never had an issue with weight genuinely don't understand the mental battles that people who do might go through.  Every meal is something that is thought about, whether you are dieting or not. There is no guilt-free meal.

It's hard to imagine the psychology involved if you've spent a lifetime of dieting. The example I used on this thread was eating something bad I really didn't feel like eating because I knew I wouldn't be able to after I start a diet. At the time I wasn't consciously doing this, it's only in hindsight that I can see it.

I'm still pretty much the same weight I was when I was last posting on here. Historically, at times I'd have been mortified to be this weight but now I'm happy enough as I've been bigger and also because looking at it in the wider perspective I'm pretty average sized really. 

Archived