Normalising Obesity

31 minutes ago, BryanC said:

If you are genetically set up to be "more likely" to become obese, it doesn't mean that it is compulsory.

More excuses guys, must do better, it's all about YOU.

Calories in > calories out = FAT

Always looking for the issue / reason / excuse. Pathetic. Stop pandering to weak people and encourage them to grow a pair. 

Genes were exactly the same on the back of WW2, but with rationing and austerity, fat lumps were few and far between.

Are you honestly saying we should bring back rationing and austerity?

One thing is for sure: simply telling people to lose weight won't work. It is as effective as telling people with mental illness to get over, telling smokers to just stop smoking because it's bad for them or chairmen telling fans to turn up in bigger numbers. 

The proof of the pudding is literally in the eating, nobody wants to be fat. If it was as easy as you say and simply a question of willpower, nobody would be fat.

I'll ask you a simple question. Have you ever struggled with your weight? 

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

If it helps to the black and white thinking, you are wrong. No, really. I will be too, but I can accept that.

Black and white thinking is the epitome of arrogance. Imagine thinking your opinion was so valuable that you could speak with more authority than educated academic people who study it, despite having no knowledge of the situation.

I bet £100 he's a Brexiter. 

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I bet £100 he's a Brexiter. 

I think that is irrelevant and potentially harmful to this thread.

I care about obesity and the discussion, I don't understand or give a flying flick about the other topic.

9 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

It also calls upon the same sweeping generalisation approach I challenged BryanC about.

If it wasn't initially clear, it was meant meant to be a joke. I purposely made the statement before it ambiguous. 

You know what they say about having to explain your jokes.... I'll stick to the day job.

I genuinely couldn't care less what he is politically but he is useful for one thing: his opinions on weight demonstrate many of the attitudes that are still held in society.

It is a bizarre situation where you could be a cocaine addict but if you present well and can keep it hidden, people will still treat you the same as anyone else. Simply being overweight/obese on the other hand, can mean certain people literally won't respect you before you've opened your mouth. 

On 06/07/2019 at 15:06, BryanC said:

I don't really subscribe to the notion that everything is down to "issues".

They are a new thing and seem to be all the rage. Most of them are invented to offload self-blame.

The NHS is in a poor enough state without having to deal with unnecessary illnesses caused by stuffing your face.

The thing is, Bryan, someone who is obese can always lose weight, whereas people with attitudes like yours cannot escape their condition. 

Too, phrases like "eat less exercise more," "calories in minus calories out" etc etc are facile. 

The impact on the NHS? Better stop smoking, then. Better stop drinking too, and no driving for you, either. No more playing rugby, soccer and certainly no boxing. Stay out of the armed forces if you don't want to be a drain on the country's medical resources and certainly do away with yourself once you reach 65 because the NHS is clogged up with old people. 

You might form a different view if you developed a condition that was treated by one of a number of medications that, as I pointed out earlier, can affect your body weight. 

Yes it can be unpleasant to see some  obese people, and yes it can trigger unpleasant thoughts. I'm sure they'd all welcome your help and in return might t be able to help you with your problem. 

My attitude is to shrug my shoulders and crack on with things when problems rear their heads, so I presume you see my "problem" as having both a backbone and a pair of balls?

1 hour ago, BryanC said:

My attitude is to shrug my shoulders and crack on with things when problems rear their heads, so I presume you see my "problem" as having both a backbone and a pair of balls?

I will repeat again, have you ever had issues with your weight? 

2 hours ago, BryanC said:

You have done pretty badly at arguing your case though, so not much brain to go with your other bits. Most of our parents generation smoked, most of our generation drink. I see no basis to condemn others.

What has normalised obesity is large amounts of easily available, highly calorie rich food designed to be tempting and a huge marketing industry designed to push it. That has made it normal.

What has also become normalised is treating this physiological issue as a moral issue. That is really strange and yet accepted as normal.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

50 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Not to me, but I have never had major issues.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I have got to the point once where I was about a stone above where I should be.

I ate less and cut down on the beer.

I would think another normalising factor is being a fat face in a fat crowd, simple as that. I also think there will be a portion of people don't think they have a problem. Rightly or wrongly. Anyone can point and say "you have a problem", it's up to the recipient to think they do. Ignorance with cake is bliss.

6 hours ago, BryanC said:

why do you need a backbone? what is it supporting?

It's noticeable that Private Baldrick has reacted to Bryan in a favourable way. Not that I'm surprised.

If someone insists on being a (##+, that's their problem.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

35 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Why drag me into it? But seeing as though you have can I have another medal?

This time I'd prefer it if someone could just shoot you when dawn arrives.

2 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Bit harsh! All I did was like a post from someone who has lost weight by cutting down on beer and controlling his dietary intake.

Usually I'm a nice person. However I have my limits with those who have no intention of being decent human beings.

23 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

I just don't see what you are on about??!!

What have I done that is so abhorrent

I know you don't see, that's your problem.

Archived