1895 fixture

clifford

Good for the club 

Bad for the club 

The only thing we could win

The plus side is that I can go, as I got the date wrong for the game thought it was 12.05

For me, its a distraction as clearly it takes all our focus to play 80 minutes 

1 hour ago, clifford said:

Good for the club 

Bad for the club 

The only thing we could win

The plus side is that I can go, as I got the date wrong for the game thought it was 12.05

For me, its a distraction as clearly it takes all our focus to play 80 minutes 

I'd prefer the club to focus on the league rather than one off cup games tbh. The league is the bread and butter. Yes we could win it but what would it be worth long term. I'd swap a play off for promotion over a cup final game anyday,with the exception of the challenge cup but that's just a dream.

A Wembley dream beckons as Whitehaven come to town

BETFRED League 1 leaders Whitehaven have lost only one of their seven league games and that was a 36-12 defeat at Oldham in February.

The in-form Cumbrians come back to the Vestacare Stadium this Sunday (May 5) in the first round of the new 1895 Cup which gives clubs outside Super League a realistic chance of playing at Wembley in a double-header with the Coral Challenge Cup final on Saturday, August 24.

Read full article

The 1895 Cup matches may be a distraction, but it's the same for all of the clubs involved and whether or not you like the idea of the competition, Sunday's game against Whitehaven is certainly a very exciting prospect. I'm really looking forward to it, especially with the players we have available this week and one thing for sure, the goal kicking job will be a lot easier without the gales we had at Llanelli last Sunday.

I just feel this competition could derail the season, if we beat haven then the next round is a Wednesday night, so we would play keighley away on the Sunday then another game the Wednesday and I think its asking a lot of part time players to play 3 games in 7 days and we have a small squad as it is, could do without injuries and suspensions 

CC,  I actually agree your sentiments about the competition. I'm just making the point that, as a game, it should be a good one and the players deserve good support, whatever the game. 

30 minutes ago, ChampagneCharlieReturns said:

...if we beat haven then the next round is a Wednesday night, so we would play worky away on the Sunday then another game the Wednesday and I think its asking a lot of part time players to play 3 games in 7 days

My understanding is that if the two teams due to play each other on the Wednesday evening have no further involvement in the Challenge Cup, then the game can be pulled back to the preceding Sunday.

Archived