Sort this play the ball garbage out!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

And one against Cas too.

We need invisible players that can disappear into thin air when breaking through the line or when after completing a tackle.

Just adopt the NRLs rule on it and have done with. It's a joke how it is at the moment and is basically cheating.

I don’t know who should be more embarrassed when they watch it again, Shenton or James Child for giving Cas the penalty, another example of why I’m getting more frustrated watching the sport, it needs sorting now.

Just now, The Vet said:

I don’t know who should be more embarrassed when they watch it again, Shenton or James Child for giving Cas the penalty, another example of why I’m getting more frustrated watching the sport, it needs sorting now.

Another reason we will never beat the Aussies, we more bothered about penalties than playing rugby.

HW

18 minutes ago, RLDave said:

The penalty should go the other way for moving off the mark or obstructing the tackler. 

I lost count of the amount of ptb's in the Cats v Cas game where the attacker moved about 2 foot forward onto the defender, it was ridiculous. 

Rapidly becoming a joke. Last week tackled player gets up, steps over the tackler, plays the ball into him and gains a penalty. Not so long later, acting half back passes the ball 5 yds to the left and behind the ptb which hits a defender loitering in the attacking line and the ref gives a penalty to the defending side for 'unsporting behaviour'.

Totally agree with all this but why the hell is Shenton getting the flak for it - Gigot did it in the first 10 mins and got away with it so why the hell wouldn't you adopt the same tactics. Catalans are the ultimate in 5hithousing every single week.

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

2 hours ago, doc said:

Has this always happened? Only i can't remember it much in the past. Same as all the offsides. Maybe players know the rules better?

There are at least three points being discussed in this thread - moving off the mark, obstructing the tackler and 'milking' a penalty at the expense of a tackler.

You ask, Doc, whether this has always happened.  In terms of moving off the mark, the simple answer is 'No'.  Go to YouTube and look for a game from, say, the 1960s. like the great Wigan -v- Hunslet cup final and you will see that tacklers did not move back and the tackled player did not feel they had a divine right to move a couple of feet forward.

If a tackled player does not move forward, much (if not all) of the current problem disappears.  The solution is simple; penalise tackled players for moving off the mark - forwards or sideways - and the problem will disappear, after a week or two (I would predict no more) of chaos.

I recently noted on another thread that I would just like to see the existing law implemented.  This states that it is an offence for a tackled player to play the ball before the tackler has had a chance to clear the ruck.

In general, I think the laws of the game are pretty good.  We just need to implement them - all of them!

2 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Totally agree with all this but why the hell is Shenton getting the flak for it - Gigot did it in the first 10 mins and got away with it so why the hell wouldn't you adopt the same tactics. Catalans are the ultimate in 5hithousing every single week.

As a Dragons' fan, KT, I - for one - am not blaming Shenton specifically.  All teams have been doing this.  In today's game, I didn't like what Gigot did; I didn't like what Shenton did.

I would invite you not to be too partisan, if you want to discuss the issue.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

I lost count of the amount of ptb's in the Cats v Cas game where the attacker moved about 2 foot forward onto the defender, it was ridiculous. 

I agree.  I saw the game. Both were at it I think and whilst I am not getting at Cas I just got the feeling they were the worst.  But the defender should be able to defend the mark at the ruck without fear of a penalty.

Flopping is as bad. Teams do them both but some do seem to be better at it.  It strikes me that assuming the ref had half a brain then the rule should allow either to add or delete a tackle off the count.

Just walking downstairs to replenish my empty, Bank Holiday glass, and I had a thought (yes, it does occasionally happen!)

We already have the occasionally used 8-point try.  Well, how about the 4-point penalty!  A tackled player moves forward to heel the ball back into the prostrate tackler who hasn't had a chance to get out of the way.  So, one penalty conceded for moving off the mark and another for being too quick to play the ball.

Now that would be interesting...!

20 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

As a Dragons' fan, KT, I - for one - am not blaming Shenton specifically.  All teams have been doing this.  In today's game, I didn't like what Gigot did; I didn't like what Shenton did.

I would invite you not to be too partisan, if you want to discuss the issue.

cheers Dad

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

3 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

Just adopt the NRLs rule on it and have done with. It's a joke how it is at the moment and is basically cheating.

My thoughts as well, it's now creeping into the amateur game and the play the ball area is where we get the most trouble.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

They brought the rules in , they can change them . Let’s see if Ganson and his team do anything this week ? It can be done if there’s a will and they care about the spectacle of the game 

14 hours ago, doc said:

Has this always happened? Only i can't remember it much in the past. Same as all the offsides. Maybe players know the rules better?

Not sure I'm reading you right but I think we have far fewer penalties for offside than we used to have. Seems that way, anyway.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It is fast becoming a competition as to who can milk the penalty the best from the play the ball. It is starting to grate. Defenders aren't even getting time to clear the ruck before been penalised. It never seemed to be such an issue until the last 2-3 years and the game was no worse for it. 

Archived