Your clubs 'cringe' moment

3 hours ago, fearnowt said:

Has to be the so called "promotion" run by the club when we  played Gateshead Thunder at home in 2012.

At the time Thunder were on a losing run of something like 60 games, and there was an offer for the game for the hospitality boxes where you would get your money back if we lost! Totally disrespectful to Thunder and very embarrassing for us Crusaders fans. Thankfully the CEO who came up with the idea has long gone.

Back then of course we were averaging crowds just below 1,000 while Thunder were lucky to get 200 at their games, how times change.?

Also have to mention Wales 2013 World Cup campaign, what a disappointment that was.

Excuse me for my ignorance but how have the Crusaders lost so many fans in so little years?

Not competitive enough? Move from the racecourse? 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Bradford?

Hmm.

Nope, I can't think.

Pre-match and half-time entertainment, 1996 - 2012ish.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

It's not a club cringe moment, but having the Cheeky Girls as half time 'entertainment ' for Australia v New Zealand at Loftus Road was pretty embarrassing.

Warrington have had Jedward performing at half time but I wasn't there to witness that.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

5 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

It's not a club cringe moment, but having the Cheeky Girls as half time 'entertainment ' for Australia v New Zealand at Loftus Road was pretty embarrassing.

Warrington have had Jedward performing at half time but I wasn't there to witness that.

That has to be the wettest I’ve ever been, that night at Loftus Road. Unbelievably close to the action in such a tight ground, was a good game from what I remember. 

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That has to be the wettest I’ve ever been, that night at Loftus Road. Unbelievably close to the action in such a tight ground, was a good game from what I remember. 

Yes it was pretty wet wasn't it?  The thing that I still remember is Nathan Hindmarsh playing for a complete defensive set with his shorts down and his a rse on show.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

The Bradford player showboating and celebrating about to score a try at Doncaster before being shoved over the line last season must've been very cringeworthy for the Bulls fans, not that it made much of a difference to the score.

"We're not here to make up the numbers", says pie in the sky, dare to dream, let's employ dodgy bas..people, major benefactor, before putting padlock on his wallet.

No, I'm not bitter at all. Won't even write the ####### name down cos it annoys me that much!!!

To be honest there hasn't been many genuine bad times as a Wigan fan however the Ian Millward era was a low point especially the record defeat of 70-0 to Leeds one week followed by a new record defeat against St Helens the week after. 

15 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

To be honest there hasn't been many genuine bad times as a Wigan fan however the Ian Millward era was a low point especially the record defeat of 70-0 to Leeds one week followed by a new record defeat against St Helens the week after. 

You must have a pretty high pain threshold if the S.Edwards saga, salary cap breaches, duff players, Lenaghans pontifications, various player indiscretions, appaling kits and coaches not to mention flirting with and succumbing to relegation, Maurice, falling crowds whilst all the time proclaiming to be the biggest club in the world hasn't had a effect on you?

5 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

You must have a pretty high pain threshold if the S.Edwards saga, salary cap breaches, duff players, Lenaghans pontifications, various player indiscretions, appaling kits and coaches not to mention flirting with and succumbing to relegation, Maurice, falling crowds whilst all the time proclaiming to be the biggest club in the world hasn't had a effect on you?

Give him a break. He's only 12 years old.

rldfsignature.jpg

6 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Yes most of those are frustrating but I'm quite relaxed and not fickle, we have had it good compared to other clubs and should consider ourselves lucky. I still get flashbacks to 2005 and 2006 though.

Our last relegation was in 1980 which was ten years before I was born. 

3 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Excuse me for my ignorance but how have the Crusaders lost so many fans in so little years?

Not competitive enough? Move from the racecourse? 

It's surprising how many people think we folded when we left the Racecourse, including some of those fans we have lost.

We were in a right mess three years ago and would have folded if we hadn't moved to Queensway. It's hard to be competitive on reduced crowds and reduced central funding but we have managed to survive by living within our means.

The club is much healthier now and maybe we can start to pick up again, but it's going to be hard work. Hopefully we can revive, but it won't be easy in a football town where 99% of the population don't know we exist.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

We used to have live music in the club bar after a game. Not a bad or embarrassing thing in itself but once the club made a big deal of the fact we had someone who came 15th in a regional heat of Britain’s Got Talent (or something like that). It wasn’t great  

Oh, I used to find our mascot a big cringe-y (not the person in it I hasten to add. On occasions he seemed faster and fitter than many of the players).

Thinking about it, I’m not that keen on the “ Skolars” name either. It’s a bit naff. 

On 22/04/2019 at 19:42, Clogiron said:

For my own part, not following any particular club anymore it's the way the game has been portrayed on TV in non sports programmes like the Selwyn Froggett series or the Sunday night series that included a amatuer team in it's plotline, can't remember the name but my ex used to watch it whilst I cringed behind a book or newspaper. I think we dodged a bullet that the likes of Dicky Bird or Parkinson were born 40miles to the south of our heartland, but the Colin Welland era was another to suffer through?

As a polar opposite the Victor Book for Boys annual had a couple of long stories based around a fictitious Rugby League team/player (hence my moniker) these were from the 60s/70s though. 

At first, I thought that Saints hadn't had too many, but now I think about it again...

1. Long and Gleeson betting on their own side to lose, the latter scoring the first try in that game. The former hiding in Paul Sculthorpe's caravan in Blackpool to avoid the media scrum.

2. Tommy Martyn and Sean Long placing a bet on the first point being a drop goal in a 1998 meeting with Leeds, attempting said drop goal, which was charged down and Leeds running the length of the field to score a try.

3. Bobby Goulding missing a kick from under the posts to lose a match at Leeds.

4. "Totally Wicked"

5. When we signed "Tricky" Trindall and tried to sell Tommy Martyn. When we attempted to swap Keiron Cunningham for a hooker (whose name escapes me) at Hunslet.

6. When our mascots, St Bernard and St Bernadette got "married".

7. When Keiron Cunningham said this:

“Jack [Owens] has been running at fullback all pre-season; he’s been phenomenal. He’s a great recruit and somebody we’ve followed closely for a while.” 

“I’m still shocked that Widnes let him go, I honestly am. It’s definitely our gain. We’ve put lots of education into him and he’s loving being around, it’s a different environment and everybody’s challenging him. He just loves it.”

8. When Keiron Cunningham said this:

"Matty is a good player but isn't on the radar. It was a bit of a shock when we saw what was in the press." And then he signed Matty Smith.

9. When Keiron Cunningham said this about our fans:

"People are like sheep. One person says something and it almost becomes a trend to jump on board."

10. When Keiron Cunningham said this:

"What I don't know about rugby isn't worth knowing"

11. When Keiron Cunningham said this upon being appointed as head coach:

"I was always adamant I was going to be head coach one day."

...and this when he was sacked

"For myself, I don’t think it was ever going to work with being the ”local hero’ and it was difficult. Living in the town was tough; I didn’t get treated very well but that’s part of life. I knew that was going to happen from the offset,"

You get the picture...

Strange that no Rhino's fan's seem to have responded, everything must always have been tickety-boo at Headingley which when you look at some of the Aussies they have laid out a shed load of cash  over the year's on; Peter Tunks, Craig Izzard, Bradley Clyde, Brett Mullins or even John Gallagher defies belief?

Archived