Your clubs 'cringe' moment

9 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

The general attitude of the Football fans is a big reason why many Fax fans dont have much time for the football club. And when you look at how many of the Football fans have been arrested for violence in the past 10 years, I wouldnt want them at Rugby games anyway.

Oh, dear. Get over your lazy stereotyping. Hardly any Halifax Town supporters have been arrested for violence in the last 10 years. The persistent offenders - almost all of them a small group of half-witted teenagers with little or no interest in the football - have been identified by the club and banned.

Similarly, plenty of football fans in Halifax have no time for the town's rugby league club - or for a sport they see as a shadow of what it was 20-30 years ago. That never used to the case. Abbott's antics was the final straw.

Sad truth is the two clubs sharing The Shay can barely muster 3,000 regulars between them. No wonder. The rugby league club is stuck, seemingly for ever, in their sport's second tier and the football club similarly marooned in the fifth tier. Halifax RLFC, almost as poorly supported now as they were in the dark days of the late 1970s, aren't in a position to turn anybody away! Having seen an abject Fax team at York recently, I understand why so many supporters have found other things to do on a Sunday afternoon.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Oh, dear. Get over your lazy stereotyping. Hardly any Halifax Town supporters have been arrested for violence in the last 10 years. The persistent offenders - almost all of them a small group of half-witted teenagers with little or no interest in the football - have been identified by the club and banned.

Similarly, plenty of football fans in Halifax have no time for the town's rugby league club - or for a sport they see as a shadow of what it was 20-30 years ago. That never used to the case. Abbott's antics was the final straw.

Sad truth is the two clubs sharing The Shay can barely muster 3,000 regulars between them. No wonder. The rugby league club is stuck, seemingly for ever, in their sport's second tier and the football club similarly marooned in the fifth tier. Halifax RLFC, almost as poorly supported now as they were in the dark days of the late 1970s, aren't in a position to turn anybody away! Having seen an abject Fax team at York recently, I understand why so many supporters have found other things to do on a Sunday afternoon.

'Life in a Northern Town'

At the risk of upsetting the Bradford faithful (I've never heard so many complaints from them, both online and in person...Bulls fans, why so serious?!); I thought John Kear's 'we have a chilling message for York' (before they were beaten to the title by the Knights) was a strange comment to make, especially from someone who usually excels in handling pressure situations. To be fair he played his part in the friendly rivalry between the clubs and helped get some coverage and exposure for League 1.

On a similar note the spat between Workington and Bradford seemed cringeworthy regardless of who was in the wrong.

One a bit closer to home - I enjoy reading Martyn Sadlers columns in the League Express, though would prefer it if we had less 'what do you think to my team of the 90s/combined Wigan and St Helens side/team of players sporting beards'.....however I cringe whenever he swears in his articles. I can swear like the best of them but in a national publication, one which is probably the most read by UK League fans, is it really needed? Don't have any specific examples to hand but it's always something like 'Leeds might state they have a long term plan in place, and that remains to be seen, but I think it's bullsh1t.'

Always come across as a bit forced. 

3 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Having lived in a variety of northern, eastern, southern and western English towns, I'd say life is like that in them all. Unfortunately.

Except I don't remember a song with that title?

Getting hammered by wire twice I wanted the Sinfield and co era to win at Wembley while the CC Wembley occasion still meant Something big ,but fair play to Wire their fans were great. The two wins later weren't the same. Wish we could get the Wembley occasion back to what it was.     My Cringe moment for RL in general is that EDDIE STOBART promotion effort 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Slightly different scenario, but most cringeworthy moment as a Warrington fan for me was the comments made by the club and coaching staff after we finished top in 2011,  but failed to win anything despite steamrollering anything that lay in front of us.

Comments were made along the lines of ‘the prize should go to the the best team all year not the final winners’.   Whilst I felt sorry for the club and team to have played so well and got nothing, it just smacked of sour grapes when all teams knew from round one that the target was the GF not the LLS ?

Anyway, thankfully we got over that mentality and went on to win many big Grand Finals.  Didn’t we? ???

Archived