Your clubs 'cringe' moment

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wigan specific:

Jack Robinson selling Central Park to Tesco and then claiming Wigan were the cash-richest rugby club in the world.

Playing home games at Widnes/ Leigh due to the soccer, thankfully Whelan is now long gone.

The Tomkins brothers moronic big night out last year and the subsequent video.

The whole "Warriors" thing, some nicknames work and some don't.....this one doesn't and never has.

Wigan's period of "experimental" shirt designs in alternating years, the unasked for and unloved brainwave of Leneghan I understand, hard to tell if its over yet tbh.

Some general ones:

Super League chairmen washing their dirty laundry and bickering in public a year ago, made me cringe for the whole game.

Woods and Barwick on the TV at big games, they just looked a mess every time and made me think "gravy train".

Rimmer making Catalans pay to enter the challenge cup this year, and effectively baring Toronto & Toulouse. Huge self inflicted negative media story at the exact moment we were desperate for a sponsor.

From above, any adverts across players bums, it just looks so utterly cheap on every team. Huddersfield are easily the worst here, I know Abzorb don't make incontinence pads, but surely to the casual viewer....

5 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

When Warrington signed Ben Westwood and Nathan Wood from Wakefield we paraded them on the pitch just before the start of the next home game... versus Wakefield.

It was such an insult to Wakey and their fans.

On a similar theme, Rangi Chase, while still playing for Cas, being unveiled at a Salford press conference, wearing Salford gear etc. Off the top of my head he still played a couple more matches for Cas after that too before making the move. The Doc certainly has a way of winding up fans.

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Strange that no Rhino's fan's seem to have responded, everything must always have been tickety-boo at Headingley which when you look at some of the Aussies they have laid out a shed load of cash  over the year's on; Peter Tunks, Craig Izzard, Bradley Clyde, Brett Mullins or even John Gallagher defies belief?

No Leeds fan will ever, EVER include Craig Izzard in a list of embarrassments. That's the most ridiculous thing I've seen today and I've just been catching up on a backlog of posts on the Brexit thread.

But if we're being serious about Leeds:

1. The 1992 Regal Trophy Final and 1993 Challenge Cup Semi, a twin pack of trauma. I can pinpoint these two games as the loss of all my childhood innocence.

2. The 1996 season when half the team walked out on the club, followed by about half the fans (the fans slowly came scuttling back over the next couple of years).

3. This abomination. We deserved to have a humiliating season wearing it, and did.

rugby_shirt_163_1_369x657x1.jpg

At Dewsbury, it was probably signing six South African rugby union players - purportedly on megabucks - in 1995, only two or three of whom made the first team but made little impression. This was also around the period we went full-time and were coached by Rocky Turner (who also failed to live up to his name) -  not long before almost going under and being described by Maurice Lindsay as "the worst run club in rugby league" (quite a claim).

Makes me quite thankful now that we have a smart RL stadium and a well run club.

20 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

The sale of Thrum Hall and the move to The "New" Shay. No money at all from the sale to do anything at the Shay as was promised. That alongside the way the Council has run the Shay, is why it remains half built and some areas more r less out of bounds to the public

The relationship with the Council and the Wendyballers which has been a joke since day one. All 3 playing silly buggers including hiding keys to rooms etc and seeing how far they can go with things.

The debts & Problems built up under CEO NIgel Wood and how the Club has never recovered on or off the field since

The Tony Abbott era. He had no real money but tried to buy the Shay etc and push Fax deep in to debt! A chancer that pulled the wool over many eyes at Halifax RLFC and elsewhere with his dealings.

The playing of Michael Ostick in a Cup game and then being kicked out.

I would suggest the 1985/86 season when Halifax won the League, with barely a non-Australian player on the pitch, an Aussie coach, probably an Aussie Groundsman, Kit-man & tea-lady too, while selling VB, XXXX & Bundaberg at the bar.

17 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I would suggest the 1985/86 season when Halifax won the League, with barely a non-Australian player on the pitch, an Aussie coach, probably an Aussie Groundsman, Kit-man & tea-lady too, while selling VB, XXXX & Bundaberg at the bar.

It was the yearly before when Fax brought over 11 Aussies. When they won the League I believe they had 5. 

Dont have a problem with what Fax did and certainly not cringeworthy. If a club wishes to bring 11 Aussies over like Fax did in 84, so what? Most were kids or unknowns. They did the job of keeping Fax up. One,  Tony Anderson,  still lives in Halifax. Then the likes of Colin Whitfield, Mick Scott, Gary Stephens, John Crossley and a couple of local lads came in during the off season. Fax then won the League.

The 2017 Grand Final!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

16 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Wigan specific:

Jack Robinson selling Central Park to Tesco and then claiming Wigan were the cash-richest rugby club in the world.

Playing home games at Widnes/ Leigh due to the soccer, thankfully Whelan is now long gone.

The Tomkins brothers moronic big night out last year and the subsequent video.

The whole "Warriors" thing, some nicknames work and some don't.....this one doesn't and never has.

Wigan's period of "experimental" shirt designs in alternating years, the unasked for and unloved brainwave of Leneghan I understand, hard to tell if its over yet tbh.

Some general ones:

Super League chairmen washing their dirty laundry and bickering in public a year ago, made me cringe for the whole game.

Woods and Barwick on the TV at big games, they just looked a mess every time and made me think "gravy train".

Rimmer making Catalans pay to enter the challenge cup this year, and effectively baring Toronto & Toulouse. Huge self inflicted negative media story at the exact moment we were desperate for a sponsor.

From above, any adverts across players bums, it just looks so utterly cheap on every team. Huddersfield are easily the worst here, I know Abzorb don't make incontinence pads, but surely to the casual viewer....

For Wigan I'd add their 1997(?) kit with the warrior squiggle thing and Ben Flower trying to pummel Lance Hohaia's head into the Old Trafford turf.  

On 22/04/2019 at 19:28, deluded pom? said:

The Hull Sharks press conference where they had a dogfish from the Sea Life centre Scarborough. Manda the Panda. 

I'll never forget the first time Manda walked round the pitch to the Threepenny Stand and was greeted with a resounding chorus of "you fat bas*tard".

I remember Dave Hadfield commenting at the time that there was no hope for some people. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

The revelation that Barter Card's sponsorship of London first time round was not paid in cash but in whatever strange points that system uses. And so was worth, in the end, the cost of a meal for the team in a pizzeria.

Oh, and for Great Britain, Morley getting arrested for drink driving during the Think! Don't Drink & Drive test series versus the Kiwis.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Tonka said:

For Wigan I'd add their 1997(?) kit with the warrior squiggle thing and Ben Flower trying to pummel Lance Hohaia's head into the Old Trafford turf.  

Ah, yes, forgot about the infamous "Warrior" kit. Must make the top 10 worst kits ever made, by anyone, in any sport.

Too shocked by Flower's actions to cringe at the time, but seeing it spread all over the media for days, yes.

On a more currently topical note all the play acting, milking penalties, hulking props crashing to the ground at the slightest PTB touch and players wildly flapping their arms in the air like huge flightless birds whilst complaining to officials makes me cringe every time it happens. All the SL teams do it consistently and hopefully now that is finally being clamped down on.

On 22/04/2019 at 19:42, Clogiron said:

For my own part, not following any particular club anymore it's the way the game has been portrayed on TV in non sports programmes like the Selwyn Froggett series or the Sunday night series that included a amatuer team in it's plotline, can't remember the name but my ex used to watch it whilst I cringed behind a book or newspaper. I think we dodged a bullet that the likes of Dicky Bird or Parkinson were born 40miles to the south of our heartland, but the Colin Welland era was another to suffer through?

You're not wrong. Nothing like a "professional" northerner to send the cringe detector off the scale.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 23/04/2019 at 14:15, Trevorkfevfan said:

"Mobile Rocket Stadium"!  Might as well call it Scud Missile Park!

Didn't realise Fev had the same sponsor as us.  Doesn't really bother me as i know it's not linked to real rockets. 

Bless.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 hours ago, Moove said:

The returning hero rhetoric by Pie Sports for Ben Flower after his ban was vomit inducing. Wouldn't say the original incident was cringy though, one of the most disgraceful acts even seen on a rugby field.

I watched it with two American colleagues one of whom said he wouldn’t like it because rugby was too violent...I told them it wasn’t and it would be great...

When I spent my pocket money on a Great Britain shirt, went to the match and paul aitcheson was playing.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 23/04/2019 at 16:02, Just Browny said:

Pre-match and half-time entertainment, 1996 - 2012ish.

The cringe moment was when we had to stop it on moving to the vile Valley Parade.

Prior to that, we had decent acts, cheap family tickets, kids aplenty, a shop in the city centre and the biggest crowds in British rugby. It remains the way forward for successful clubs who need to maintain a young fanbase.

Oh, and we will be back, pre-match entertainment and all ... and we'll have bigger crowds than Warrington.

And you know it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The cringe moment was when we had to stop it on moving to the vile Valley Parade.

Prior to that, we had decent acts, cheap family tickets, kids aplenty, a shop in the city centre and the biggest crowds in British rugby. It remains the way forward for successful clubs who need to maintain a young fanbase.

Oh, and we will be back, pre-match entertainment and all ... and we'll have bigger crowds than Warrington.

And you know it.

No need to get chippy, there were plenty of cringe moments for us once the clowns and cheerleaders had been cleared off the Odsal turf.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived