Rugby League World - New issue out now

The new issue of Rugby League World has loads of 'em...

rlw_may2019_sidebar.png

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - ISSUE 457 (MAY 2019) - ON SALE SAT 27th APRIL

St Helens are storming it at the top of the Super League table so far this season and their new Aussie recruit Lachlan Coote is lighting up the competition with some stand-out performances. He talks to us about leaving the NRL, his first impressions of life as a Saint and where his long term future might be.
As Catalans Dragons prepare to break new ground with an historic game at Barcelona’s Nou Camp stadium, we take a look back at some of the previous pioneering matches that have pushed back the boundaries for Rugby League. Are they a guide or a warning?
Luke Gale continues his rehab from injury and tells us why he takes inspiration from the comeback story of Tiger Woods.
We’ve put together a Combined XIII for Warrington for you to take a look and judge for yourself how you think this team of local Wolves would fare in a real competition. Would they make the grade?
As the Championship gets ready for its day in the TV spotlight in Blackpool, we get the thoughts of some of the leading combatants on the importance of the Summer Bash, plus we pick out ten players to watch who we think will shine at the seaside.
Featherstone’s new recruit from down under, Cameron King, talks to us about his decision to join Rovers whilst old pro Gareth Hock explains how his love of dogs is the key to his future beyond Rugby League.
We catch up with Kirsty Moroney who has hung up her boots at Bradford Bulls to take on the coaching reins at the club instead, and we review the astonishing new Rugby League film by Joanna Lester, Power Meri, which charts the journey of Papua New Guinea’s women’s team as they make their World Cup debut.
If you’re in need of even more inspiration, look no further than England Wheelchair Rugby League star James Simpson.
Staying on the international scene, we’ve got some great stories from Canada, Norway, Poland, France and Wales, plus the unfolding tale of the battle for the soul of Rugby League in Greece. 
All this and loads more, plus some top quality grooming products on offer in our latest competition!

Click here for print subscriptions, renewals, gift vouchers and single copies

Click here to find your nearest local stockist (UK/Ireland only)

Click here for the online edition to read on PC/Mac, smartphone, tablet etc

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World - New Issue Imminent!
  • John Drake pinned this topic
  • John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World - New issue out today
On 25/04/2019 at 10:24, John Drake said:

It'll be in shops on Saturday (day later than usual due to Easter).

It seems it has popped up already in a few shops, which is nice. 

http://www.totalrl.com/where-to-buy-rugby-league-world/

Rush out and buy, etc.

Post any praise (we live in hope if not expectation) or (constructive) criticism here, once you've had a read!

11 hours ago, Rage said:

Bought the magazine today. Really enjoying it. Just a quick question, what happened to the Ryan Bailey quickfire question and answer section? Was looking forward to it.

The Q & A has been done, but for personal reasons, Ryan asked us to hold back publishing it right now.

It will appear at a later date.

Only just got my copy flicked through and found "The Forbidden Game Revisited." I wasn't at all confident about commenting on the forums as it would most likely be cross code zoned. Yawn strikes again but what a small article to cover it! Is it so predictable and common place that we don't bother to make more of a song and dance about it? Have the years and years of this kind of nonsense taken such a toll that we're unable to make more than a nodding  attempt to register our disapproval? This would hardly be surprising if it is the case but I do get the feeling that we're working our way towards a time when we won't even mention it at all!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

35 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Only just got my copy flicked through and found "The Forbidden Game Revisited." I wasn't at all confident about commenting on the forums as it would most likely be cross code zoned. Yawn strikes again but what a small article to cover it! Is it so predictable and common place that we don't bother to make more of a song and dance about it? Have the years and years of this kind of nonsense taken such a toll that we're unable to make more than a nodding  attempt to register our disapproval? This would hardly be surprising if it is the case but I do get the feeling that we're working our way towards a time when we won't even mention it at all! 

What made Open Rugby compelling through the '80s was its activism and an obsession with shining a light onto some of the wrongs inflicted on our sport. I know times have changed and RLW as it is now is much more mainstream but it does somewhat lack the bite of those days.

50 minutes ago, M j M said:

What made Open Rugby compelling through the '80s was its activism and an obsession with shining a light onto some of the wrongs inflicted on our sport. I know times have changed and RLW as it is now is much more mainstream but it does somewhat lack the bite of those days.

I must admit M j M that this crossed my mind and John's own publication at the time wasn't exactly backward in coming forward on those/ these occasions an much as I don't like to dwell on the past I prefer a robust approach to awful stuff like this. I would like to believe that we've all moved on but events like the one reported tell me it's never gone away and people still think it's alright and that no one will care or notice either way is evidence that this simply isn't the case. No doubt we'll get the usual chip on the shoulder charge for saying something but as far as I know you didn't help ban a RL side from playing in France and although I was in France when this happened I know I didn't initiate the ban. I do feel that we're not supposed to mention it or be agitated by it and we're certainly not supposed to say anything about who did it. I know that as the editorial staff there is a feeling against ru v TGG antagonism as unhelpful, useless, irrelevant and cliched but when things like this take place I remain unconvinced by such arguments. Given that this did take place it seems true to say that ru remain as inconvinced as I am because they not only perpetrate it they ignore the fact that it has happened at all.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

53 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I must admit M j M that this crossed my mind and John's own publication at the time wasn't exactly backward in coming forward on those/ these occasions an much as I don't like to dwell on the past I prefer a robust approach to awful stuff like this. I would like to believe that we've all moved on but events like the one reported tell me it's never gone away and people still think it's alright and that no one will care or notice either way is evidence that this simply isn't the case. No doubt we'll get the usual chip on the shoulder charge for saying something but as far as I know you didn't help ban a RL side from playing in France and although I was in France when this happened I know I didn't initiate the ban. I do feel that we're not supposed to mention it or be agitated by it and we're certainly not supposed to say anything about who did it. I know that as the editorial staff there is a feeling against ru v TGG antagonism as unhelpful, useless, irrelevant and cliched but when things like this take place I remain unconvinced by such arguments. Given that this did take place it seems true to say that ru remain as inconvinced as I am because they not only perpetrate it they ignore the fact that it has happened at all.

I think there's a certain element of dewy-eyed revisionism goes on with regard to Open Rugby as it was in the 80s, compared to what RLW is now.

It doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, tbh, if you look back at some of those old issues.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Open Rugby as much as anyone. I bought it regularly and it informed my opinions on lots of things at the time, but you have to bear in mind, this was in the days before the internet, and the only other RL publication around was the Rugby Leaguer (which back then came out on a Thursday and didn't have match reports in it - League Express literally changed the game on that score).

I was involved in setting up the Rugby League Supporters Association in the early 1990s which was born out of the club fanzine movement at the time. The RLSA was an active campaigning organisation, and Open Rugby gave it virtually no help or coverage, despite our campaigns aligning closely with the magazine's own stance on various issues. We didn't have the internet to fall back on as an alternative then, either. If Open Rugby and Rugby Leaguer ignored you, you were ignored. It's why the RLSA published its own fanzine (TGG) as it was the only way of guaranteeing what it did got any coverage anywhere at all.

If a similar organisation existed now, you can bet your life we'd cover it in RLW! Anyone on here bold enough to set one up? 

In the current issue of RLW, we've published a four page colour feature investigating the situation in Greece where there's a real threat to the continued existence of the game, for reasons which are well covered in the piece and which I won't repeat here as we had to get what we published in the mag cleared legally before we could run it.

You just would not have got that kind of coverage for that kind of thing anywhere back in the 80s, so I am going to fly the flag proudly for what RLW is doing now, in a crowded, impossibly difficult marketplace for print publications of any kind, let alone one that covers Rugby League with the breadth and depth that we do.

We are incredibly grateful to everyone who buys and supports the mag. If more people bought and supported it, we could make it even better than it already is and cover more things in more depth, because quality journalism of any kind costs money, and we don't have a lot of it to spend.

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I think there's a certain element of dewy-eyed revisionism goes on with regard to Open Rugby as it was in the 80s, compared to what RLW is now.

It doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, tbh, if you look back at some of those old issues.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Open Rugby as much as anyone. I bought it regularly and it informed my opinions on lots of things at the time, but you have to bear in mind, this was in the days before the internet, and the only other RL publication around was the Rugby Leaguer (which back then came out on a Thursday and didn't have match reports in it - League Express literally changed the game on that score).

I was involved in setting up the Rugby League Supporters Association in the early 1990s which was born out of the club fanzine movement at the time. The RLSA was an active campaigning organisation, and Open Rugby gave it virtually no help or coverage, despite our campaigns aligning closely with the magazine's own stance on various issues. We didn't have the internet to fall back on as an alternative then, either. If Open Rugby and Rugby Leaguer ignored you, you were ignored. It's why the RLSA published its own fanzine (TGG) as it was the only way of guaranteeing what it did got any coverage anywhere at all.

If a similar organisation existed now, you can bet your life we'd cover it in RLW! Anyone on here bold enough to set one up? 

In the current issue of RLW, we've published a four page colour feature investigating the situation in Greece where there's a real threat to the continued existence of the game, for reasons which are well covered in the piece and which I won't repeat here as we had to get what we published in the mag cleared legally before we could run it.

You just would not have got that kind of coverage for that kind of thing anywhere back in the 80s, so I am going to fly the flag proudly for what RLW is doing now, in a crowded, impossibly difficult marketplace for print publications of any kind, let alone one that covers Rugby League with the breadth and depth that we do.

We are incredibly grateful to everyone who buys and supports the mag. If more people bought and supported it, we could make it even better than it already is and cover more things in more depth, because quality journalism of any kind costs money, and we don't have a lot of it to spend.

I don't think either of us were attacking RLW in any way. The story involved was a reminder of what things were like especially in the title. No one I feel was saying RLW was being found wanting just that it wouldn't have passed by with so little reference and for those with experience of Open Rugby we are bound to recall that. I do find that a worrying trend irrespective of whatever publication it appears in.

Whilst I appreciate the competition between different stories for column inches I do think such a piece makes it look very unimportant and the use of the Forbidden Game title was evocative enough for those with a sense of history of our game. If it's not important enough my advice is not to cover it at all and then no one would feel the need to comment.

By the way the Girls On Film was a truly excellent piece! More of those kind of articles please?

11 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I don't think either of us were attacking RLW in any way. The story involved was a reminder of what things were like especially in the title. No one I feel was saying RLW was being found wanting just that it wouldn't have passed by with so little reference and for those with experience of Open Rugby we are bound to recall that. I do find that a worrying trend irrespective of whatever publication it appears in.

Whilst I appreciate the competition between different stories for column inches I do think such a piece makes it look very unimportant and the use of the Forbidden Game title was evocative enough for those with a sense of history of our game. If it's not important enough my advice is not to cover it at all and then no one would feel the need to comment.

By the way the Girls On Film was a truly excellent piece! More of those kind of articles please?

The item in question was part of our monthly Treiziste Diary piece, which is a freelance contribution. We don't know what's going to be in it until we see it. 

I sub-edited the piece, and I put the headline and intro on it.

It was the first time I was aware of that story at all, tbh. 

It does state in the piece that FFR13 President Marc Palanques has raised the issue with the mayor of Nanterre, but that no response has yet been received. As such, I'm not sure there's much more that could have been written at this stage. However, I'm sure it is a story that will develop and will be returned to, and RLW has already played a part in raising awareness about it.

Take it as a given that we don't support anyone banning Rugby League anywhere for any reason.

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The item in question was part of our monthly Treiziste Diary piece, which is a freelance contribution. We don't know what's going to be in it until we see it. 

It does state in the piece that FFR13 President Marc Palanques has raised the issue with the mayor of Nanterre, but that no response has yet been received. As such, I'm not sure there's much more that could have been written at this stage. However, I'm sure it is a story that will develop and will be returned to, and RLW has already played a part in raising awareness about it.

Take it as a given that we don't support anyone banning Rugby League anywhere for any reason.

I don't think anyone ever considered that you might support banning RL or to be fair even ru. We may have been hoping for a bit more moral indignation though. My main concern is still that we may have come to regard this as so normal as to be not worth comment. I expect it from French organisation influenced by attitudes but at no point does that mean it's acceptable. I also feel that some of the criticising around this makes it look like it's RL fans being unreasonable for saying it's wrong.

22 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I don't think anyone ever considered that you might support banning RL or to be fair even ru. We may have been hoping for a bit more moral indignation though. My main concern is still that we may have come to regard this as so normal as to be not worth comment. I expect it from French organisation influenced by attitudes but at no point does that mean it's acceptable. I also feel that some of the criticising around this makes it look like it's RL fans being unreasonable for saying it's wrong.

It's not my intention to be critical of anyone.

Just trying to offer an insight as to how things work 'behind the scenes' at RLW in response to the points being raised.

The constructive feedback is appreciated. ?

Having said all that the Nou Camp was fascinating, I was really glad of the reminder of 1929 innovation otherwise the number of failures, for whatever reasons, would make anything look gloomy. And what rl fans don't need is another opportunity to either gloomy or gloomier.

Mind you I meant to say the one about those Dogs who look after Gareth Hock will have cheered everyone up.

On 27/04/2019 at 15:55, John Drake said:

Regarding Nanterre XIII, the news came out in early april and the outcry and support from clubs and fans around the world was considerable. The update is  sketchy and attempts to gain more info hasn't been forthcoming from either the club, the local council or the French Federation. I've contacted various people involved and no one has replied. Nanterre continue to play matches, mainly 9s tournaments and did quite well in the annual Rotterdam tournament a couple of weeks back.

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World - New issue out now
22 hours ago, oiseau said:

Nanterre continue to play matches, mainly 9s tournaments and did quite well in the annual Rotterdam tournament a couple of weeks back.

At least they've not gone under then that is good news!

No need for Trent Merrin to go as far as Staffordshire. He can see the Trent much closer to home, at Julian's Bower  on a hillside  at Alkborough, overlooking the confluence of the River Ouse and River Trent, twixt Goole and Barton and afterwards at the Paddocks Tea Room.  Give him a real look at English life!

http://www.stone-circles.org.uk/stone/juliansbower.htm

https://www.facebook.com/ThePaddocksTeaRoom/

Picked up the magazine  in Easons on the way into work this morning. Have only reached Page XIII . How much is the contract the WDL have put  on Matthew Shaw ??

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Archived