Attendance

Hughsehhh

What's the attendance been like this season and the last 2 or 3? I managed to get back for the West Wales game recently and there were about 280 or so, but Wrexham fc were at home at the crunch end of the season so a distraction. 

Do they do much in the community? I took my brother along to his first game and he enjoyed it. Maybe they need to have a few players in kit in the middle of town one Saturday and a few other ideas to widen the appeal, go into schools and do some fun training drills with the kids. 

We used to do quite a bit of this stuff, less so in recent times. Resources, time, etc. any number of reasons why not any more...and as for attendance, it's been a bit low for a  while now.

Our biggest barrier (IMHO) is that Wrexham's always been a "beer & football" town, and even after being shown how superior a sport RL is, the majority of the natives have reverted to type ?  There will be a multitude of other reasons as well, but I recon that's our biggest one

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

I've been keeping a record of the attendances since the move to Queensway, the figures may not be completely accurate as one or two others are doing the same and have very slight variations in their figures.

The average for 2017 was 348.

In 2018 it was 376 (but take away the Bradford game and it drops to 334).

So far this year it is 342.

It could be argued that the attendances have held steady since the move as there was a very sharp decline between 2013 and 2016, when we saw an alarming drop of around 60%.

We're limited with what we can achieve at Queensway, but I can see no reason why we should not be getting average crowds above 400, if we get up to 500 we'll be doing really well. The thing is an increase of just 30 would probably cover the rent for the stadium, we would need an increase of 300 to achieve the same at the Racecourse.

I think the club has been into the schools and it did seem to go down well, but we have to remember that the club is run entirely by unpaid volunteers with day jobs. We now have a permanent presence in the town centre with the club shop in the Ty Pawb market, but again this is run by volunteers on their days off work, plus one or two who have retired.

We have a supporters trust, and we are starting to get more proactive. We are paying for one of our stewards to train as a ground safety officer, we are replacing the disposable plastic containers at the bar with recyclable ones on a deposit and return system. We are also looking at improving the merchandise on offer such as hats, pin badges, etc.

We are looking at arranging a supporters trust meeting to update members/fans on our progress on the day of our next home game against Whitehaven, to be held at a venue close to the stadium. Watch out for an announcement in the next couple of weeks.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

8 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

We used to do quite a bit of this stuff, less so in recent times. Resources, time, etc. any number of reasons why not any more...and as for attendance, it's been a bit low for a  while now.

Our biggest barrier (IMHO) is that Wrexham's always been a "beer & football" town, and even after being shown how superior a sport RL is, the majority of the natives have reverted to type ?  There will be a multitude of other reasons as well, but I recon that's our biggest one

I think you've hit the nail firmly on the head there.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

3 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

I've been keeping a record of the attendances since the move to Queensway, the figures may not be completely accurate as one or two others are doing the same and have very slight variations in their figures.

The average for 2017 was 348.

In 2018 it was 376 (but take away the Bradford game and it drops to 334).

So far this year it is 342.

It could be argued that the attendances have held steady since the move as there was a very sharp decline between 2013 and 2016, when we saw an alarming drop of around 60%.

We're limited with what we can achieve at Queensway, but I can see no reason why we should not be getting average crowds above 400, if we get up to 500 we'll be doing really well. The thing is an increase of just 30 would probably cover the rent for the stadium, we would need an increase of 300 to achieve the same at the Racecourse.

I think the club has been into the schools and it did seem to go down well, but we have to remember that the club is run entirely by unpaid volunteers with day jobs. We now have a permanent presence in the town centre with the club shop in the Ty Pawb market, but again this is run by volunteers on their days off work, plus one or two who have retired.

We have a supporters trust, and we are starting to get more proactive. We are paying for one of our stewards to train as a ground safety officer, we are replacing the disposable plastic containers at the bar with recyclable ones on a deposit and return system. We are also looking at improving the merchandise on offer such as hats, pin badges, etc.

We are looking at arranging a supporters trust meeting to update members/fans on our progress on the day of our next home game against Whitehaven, to be held at a venue close to the stadium. Watch out for an announcement in the next couple of weeks.

I do think that, once we start winning a few more games it will help on the attendance front, as long as the other RL (Real Life) doesn't get in the way too much. Hopefully Wrexham FC will fail once again to get back into the football league and some of the fans will come back to Queensway.... live in Hope, die in Caergwrle!! ? 

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

57 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

I do think that, once we start winning a few more games it will help on the attendance front, as long as the other RL (Real Life) doesn't get in the way too much. Hopefully Wrexham FC will fail once again to get back into the football league and some of the fans will come back to Queensway.... live in Hope, die in Caergwrle!! ? 

To be fair, there were a couple of Wrexham fans at the West Wales game despite Wrexham playing at home. I spoke to another Wrexham fan on the way home who goes to Cru games, he'd been to the Racecourse but he knew our result.

I supported them for 43 years until I completely lost interest seven years ago. There's good and bad there just like everywhere else and while I don't have any affiliation to them anymore, I don't have any ill will towards them.

Yeah the Wrexham fc thing is a bit of an odd one. I supported them growing up and went to a fair few of the games, but grew disillusioned with football in general.

I had to move down south for work and now only get back to Wrexham every 2 months or so, otherwise I'd probably buy a season ticket at Cru. 

I guess with the ty pawb presence we've just got to keep up the promotion, hand our flyers for the upcoming games, seize on the summer period with no football. Maybe a few kids go free with am adult etc. 

I’d be interested in why there was such a drop off from around the time of games at the Rock (which still held steady at around 700 or so then, although I didn’t go much then) to now. Maybe the movement between grounds didn’t help but I’m surprised at the drop off as it seemed to hold firm for a while before that. Although if there was an easy answer as to why then presumably it could have been avoided.

From my point of view I’ve got on board more since the move to Queensway (my on and off attendance before games then is something I don’t need to bore you with). I always put WFC first but the Queensway move works for me in a lot of ways, but I can imagine the club is a little out of sight and out of mind on the outskirts, despite it being necessary.

Further to my post above where I mentioned a supporters trust meeting before the Whitehaven game, this has now been confirmed.

The supporters trust will be hosting a meeting to update members/fans on our progress, especially since the AGM, and to give supporters an opportunity to suggest any ideas that we might take forward. It will be held at St Peters Hall on Smithfield Road, which is about 5 mins walk from Queensway Stadium. If you are parking in the stadium car park, Smithfield Road is just off the roundabout heading towards the town centre. The hall is on the right walking up the hill from the stadium.

We have the hall from 12:30 with the meeting starting at 13:00. Any supporters interested in attending are welcome to join us.

803695067_Screenshot2019-04-26at20_41_41.thumb.png.8e73eab0899a58946d3872516474a38a.png

On 25/04/2019 at 16:15, Hughsehhh said:

Yeah the Wrexham fc thing is a bit of an odd one. I supported them growing up and went to a fair few of the games, but grew disillusioned with football in general.

I had to move down south for work and now only get back to Wrexham every 2 months or so, otherwise I'd probably buy a season ticket at Cru. 

I guess with the ty pawb presence we've just got to keep up the promotion, hand our flyers for the upcoming games, seize on the summer period with no football. Maybe a few kids go free with am adult etc. 

We have a great deal for our next game against Whitehaven; adult entry £10 plus a free pint at Queensway, and another free pint post-game in the Fat Boar.

You'll need a special flyer or get it via Wrexham Savers.com.

Archived