"Super League" the name

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure whether Super League could have been Trade Marked but we should have certainly done it with the ‘Rugby World Cup’ in 1954 considering that RU didn’t start theirs til 95 and is now the only Rugby World event that the public are aware of.   We think small, and we stay small.

The USP for our game is not Super or Rugby but "League".

I would have thought it could have been possible to use a better logo than they chose.  Something on the lines of

"superLEAGUE!"

As it is, it appears to be a confused set of words. Is it seperated, is it one word, where are the capitals?

But as I have suggested in the past, we should rename ourselves to be League Rules Football.

Its the name given to the league structure in those sports.... its still netball, soccer/football or darts, etc and the sport is still viewed or branded as the appropriate sports name.

In RL we seemed to want to replace rugby league with superleague (wrongly in my opinion)... that seems to me to be the difference.

44 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Not sure whether Super League could have been Trade Marked but we should have certainly done it with the ‘Rugby World Cup’ in 1954 considering that RU didn’t start theirs til 95 and is now the only Rugby World event that the public are aware of.   We think small, and we stay small.

1987 wasnt it?

17 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The USP for our game is not Super or Rugby but "League".

I would have thought it could have been possible to use a better logo than they chose.  Something on the lines of

"superLEAGUE!"

As it is, it appears to be a confused set of words. Is it seperated, is it one word, where are the capitals?

But as I have suggested in the past, we should rename ourselves to be League Rules Football.

It's not a USP at all because almost every sports competition in the world has a league. There is absolutely nothing unique about the term.

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Yes I think you’re right actually.   Not sure why I thought of 1995.   Maybe because it coincided with the centenary year.

first year of "professionalism" in RU and probably the highest profile world cup as it was in South Africa. 

87 NZ won at home

91 Australia beat England in England

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Anyone else annoyed that netball and women's soccer have nicked the name?

Women's sport in general is just one name theft after another.  The craziest is Women's Cricket "Ashes". 

Does my head in.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

37 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's not a USP at all because almost every sports competition in the world has a league. There is absolutely nothing unique about the term.

Ours is different in respect of Rugby where we have a powerful rival for that word.  They simply say "Rugby" and we have no answer to it.  We have however purloined the word "League" in that  respect.

In terms of Football, they use the words Premiership and Championship predominantly.   They rarely use the word "league" in any context. The phrase they use more than anything is "top four" or "getting into europe".

One way or another we need to get away from the word "rugby".

24 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Super League, as a brand does hold value and that shouldn't really be thrown away for nothing though we don't really use it for much.

I think we can certainly keep the name and use it better where has name recognition, but for the areas where it doesn't I think we should be less scared and add in the word Rugby to explain to the new audience what it is.

The Rugby Super League. 

I think your last phrase is totally wrong.  

But I am repeating myself.  I may be out of step but others are  fundamentally walking in the wrong direction.

But there we are... That's my view.

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Anyone else annoyed that netball and women's soccer have nicked the name?

They are certainly no Sekonda Super League.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Women's sport in general is just one name theft after another.  The craziest is Women's Cricket "Ashes". 

Does my head in.

Because the rugby league Ashes series between Great Britain and Australia is an entirely original concept that involved someone burning a rugby post in protest at the death of British rugby league?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

37 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

In terms of Football, they use the words Premiership and Championship predominantly.   They rarely use the word "league" in any context.

The football anoraks I work with will pull me up if I say the Premiership. It's the Premier League. I hear them use it many times on TV coverage.

rldfsignature.jpg

38 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Ours is different in respect of Rugby where we have a powerful rival for that word.  They simply say "Rugby" and we have no answer to it.  We have however purloined the word "League" in that  respect.

In terms of Football, they use the words Premiership and Championship predominantly.   They rarely use the word "league" in any context. The phrase they use more than anything is "top four" or "getting into europe".

I mean the biggest football competition on the planet is literally called the Premier League. 

I know what you're trying to get at - the world 'league' is very important in a rugby sense to differentiate it from union. But trying in some way to emphasise it more to none RL fans is lost anyway.....as they just think it's being used in the literal sense of the word 'league' rather than it highlighting a different sport. 

42 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I do agree that the word Rugby causes many of the issues. The word League added to this simply makes many people think that Rugby League is just essentially another Rugby Union league competition. There is no USP to Rugby League and it's confusing to say the least to those with little idea of the sport.

7 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

The football anoraks I work with will pull me up if I say the Premiership. It's the Premier League. I hear them use it many times on TV coverage.

They must be a right laugh

18 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We are a Rugby Competition. That competition is largely a league competition, it is an amalgamation of the best clubs from the northern hemisphere. It is a Rugby Super League. RSL. Why go watch any of the secondary Rugby competitions and not the Super one?

Way too close and easily confused with Super Rugby IMO.

If Super League and RL in general want to rebrand the sport to make it more clearly different to union then the most radical thing to do would be to drop the word 'rugby'. 

American Football is one of the biggest sports in the world, but i'll hazard a guess not too many people know about it's very similar yet drastically less well known cousin, Canadian Football (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_American_and_Canadian_football). RL is pretty much in the same position and at time where we're making huge strides to open up our sport to a new audience I think a new name could really help. What's the worst that could happen? Aussies call it footie so there's only England that has any real ties to the name 'Rugby League'. 

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Personally Ive always thought it’s a pretty naff cringeworthy name anyway 

It sounds like a name a juvenile schoolboy thought up for his Schools five a side football comp.

Very dated and sounded lame even when it was launched.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived