"Super League" the name

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Most people don't know enough about it to confuse us with Super Rugby. They don't know who we are, they don't know who they are. I think people hugely overthink the problems caused by a confusion with RU

You're probably right - but the aim is to get more people to know about the sport, surely? And if/when they do a clearly different name might be all it takes to differentiate the two sports, unlike the CFL which most think is just the Canadian national league version of American Football. 

Personally think the name is good and a decent name for our flagship comp. Though if i could i would officially rename it 'Rugby Super League'

Worth remembering Super League was started first in Australia, certainly the idea, so maybe News Corp held some rights initially and the RFL just had a license to use the name.. Probably something only senior management could answer.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

40 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

Yes. Why they didn't got for Women's Premier League is beyond me.

If that's a serious point, it's because there already was a women's Premier League and then the FA created a franchise Super League without promotion and relegation to sit above it.

Where do they get their ideas from?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Anyone else annoyed that netball and women's soccer have nicked the name?

not really , I dislike the name  Super League anyway,  I am sure we could come up with something better,

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Aussies call it footie so there's only England that has any real ties to the name 'Rugby League'. 

When I watched the NRL and the other Aussie RL related programmes like Matty Johns, Peter Sterling and, ironically, the Footy Show, it was surprising how often they used the term rugby league. Probably more so than "footy".

rldfsignature.jpg

35 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think its a very northern-centric outlook. Where RU is the big bad trying to kill us. Take that away and its not really a problem. In fact 'stealing' that name recognition is quite a good thing for us. 

Certainly not from me - I'm very much a dual code fan who no longer lives in the north and having a had many conversations with people with no or little knowledge of either code, it's pretty clear union is what most understand to be 'rugby'. If I was going to 'steal' a name to get the associated recognition, I'd definitely play on the word football over rugby. 

10 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

When I watched the NRL and the other Aussie RL related programmes like Matty Johns, Peter Sterling and, ironically, the Footy Show, it was surprising how often they used the term rugby league. Probably more so than "footy".

Sure, I'm not saying it's never used - probably how some in RU circles do explicitly say 'Rugby Union'. However the vast majority call it rugby. My point was more that people recognise the game down there as footy - if the term RL disappeared they'd still have something to call it. 

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Sure, I'm not saying it's never used - probably how some in RU circles do explicitly say 'Rugby Union'. However the vast majority call it rugby. My point was more that people recognise the game down there as footy - if the term RL disappeared they'd still have something to call it. 

Just as an aside, what do they call it in Melbourne? I would presume rugby league as AFL would have the hold on footy.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Rugby nicked that too in the past?

Yes.  Totally wrong.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Ours is different in respect of Rugby where we have a powerful rival for that word.  They simply say "Rugby" and we have no answer to it.  We have however purloined the word "League" in that  respect.

In terms of Football, they use the words Premiership and Championship predominantly.   They rarely use the word "league" in any context. The phrase they use more than anything is "top four" or "getting into europe".

One way or another we need to get away from the word "rugby".

You're living in a bygone era. There was a time when it was known as the Premiership. Barclays Premiership. But that ended a while back. It now brands itself exclusively as the Premier League, even dropping the sponsor name.  

I'd say that Premiership is now synonymous with RU. I follow football closely and haven't heard anyone call it the Premiership for well over a decade.

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

The football anoraks I work with will pull me up if I say the Premiership. It's the Premier League. I hear them use it many times on TV coverage.

Right. 

In any case, Super League is hardly unique. Chinese Super League, Greek Super League, Indian Super League, Turkish Super Lig, Superliga in Denmark, Serbian SuperLiga, Slovak Super Liga.

Personally NRL as used by  "Australian Rugby League"  and its professional rugby league sports brand works for me....  The "Telstra" Premiership being of course the name of the league which I never see any confusion with the NRL branding. 

For me Super league without any Rugby reference seems daft to me.   The shortened NRL (as distinct from National Rugby League) works for me thinking from a simple marketing brand.  SL wouldn't - Superleague doesn't differentiate from other sports

2 hours ago, owls said:

not really , I dislike the name  Super League anyway,  I am sure we could come up with something better,

I don't mind the Super League name. 

NRL is an awful name for a league, but the brand is quality because the product is quality. 

3 hours ago, redjonn said:

Personally NRL as used by  "Australian Rugby League"  and its professional rugby league sports brand works for me....  The "Telstra" Premiership being of course the name of the league which I never see any confusion with the NRL branding. 

For me Super league without any Rugby reference seems daft to me.   The shortened NRL (as distinct from National Rugby League) works for me thinking from a simple marketing brand.  SL wouldn't - Superleague doesn't differentiate from other sports

BRL would be okay but obviously not just a British league with Catalan 

Also with TW coming in it can't be ERL (European)

ARL (Atlantic RL?)

Either way Toronto coming in is exciting...what do people think about it? Rarely gets discussed here so would be good to hear people's thoughts 

3 hours ago, hrtbps said:

I don't mind the Super League name. 

NRL is an awful name for a league, but the brand is quality because the product is quality. 

I like the name " NRL-National Rugby League" despite a few flaws. Its unique and says the Sports name. No other Sport is going to use it, certainly not in Australia, NZ or PNG etc. I am sure maybe there are some better names out there that people have. I dont think its awful, even if its not really a National Comp for a couple of reasons. As you say , the Brand and Product is strong and instantly known by most Australians, even if some think League & Union are one Sport in places like Victoria and Western Australia.

I hate the name "Super League".It doesnt really say what the Sport is and a number of other sports use it. So when people say "Super League" it could be they are talking about Netball, Football or Rugby League for example. I would prefer "Rugby League" in the title somewhere. We are then promoting our sport and its clear what Sport we re talking about. If it goes to an abbreviation like the "NRL", then maybe thats not a bad thing.

The brand and product is of a poor Quality for me. It has to be of a decent quality and promoted/marketed better than what it has/is in the UK. We have had "Super League" for over 20 years and most people in the UK, I would think would not associate "Super League" with Rugby League. The Clubs have cut corners and made poor decisions alongside the people running SL. The Quality on the field is poor and we even have fans saying its boring and the messy PTB dont make it enjoyable.

Maybe Super League Should change to Super Rugby League) or SRL (Sorry Student Rugby League) and make more of an effort than it has to improve things like Marketing, Creating Events not just another Game etc. Maybe thats what Robert Elstone has in mind. Sadly the Clubs will be screaming and kicking over any changes which costs money. Must say Warrington have done very well regards to Marketing and Development in the local area. But still more needs to be done. Potential is there, but probably the will to do it not, by many clubs.

In NZ, if anyone says they played Rugby, it is taken as RU. If they say they played League, they think RL. Super League is viewed as something that came and went in the 1990's. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived