Toronto away attendances

Last season, the Toronto game at Featherstone was our highest attendance (3131).

This season, the same fixture drew a crowd of 2101.

Both fixtures were played over Easter weekend, so what could account for the fall?

Has the novelty worn off? How many of those who came last season decided to watch it on Sky Sports this season? Have figures fallen similarly for other Championship clubs?

Oh dear I think you might set something off here.

I've not really looked in great detail but most clubs seem to have seen a drop compared to when they played Tornoto last year with the exception of Toulouse. York got quite a good crowd but it was the first match of the season and they didn't play Toronto last year. The novelty is definitely wearing off but most of the crowds are still quite healthy.

EDIT: Teams that have played Toronto at home this year and last year in brackets. Some fell, some rose slightly, Toulouse rose dramatically but they were playing at a different ground. There are of course loads of factors so this isn't that helpful.

Leigh 3142 (5452)

Featherstone 2101 (3121)

Barrow 1417 (1266)

Halifax 2090 (2036)

Dewsbury 1251 (932)

Rochdale 694 (504)

Toulouse 6103 (3513)

Just now, Chris Taylor said:

Featherstone last season really pushed the game, I saw nothing this time around. That could explain why there was a drop.

I think that's largely down to the fact they played at home three days earlier this year and so the marketing was a bit split. Like many people there's no way I could've made two matches in the same weekend and given the choice I'd have rather attended the York one but I ended up only being able to make the Toronto match.

26 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I've not really looked in great detail but most clubs seem to have seen a drop compared to when they played Tornoto last year with the exception of Toulouse. York got quite a good crowd but it was the first match of the season and they didn't play Toronto last year. The novelty is definitely wearing off but most of the crowds are still quite healthy.

EDIT: Teams that have played Toronto at home this year and last year in brackets. Some fell, some rose slightly, Toulouse rose dramatically but they were playing at a different ground. There are of course loads of factors so this isn't that helpful.

Leigh 3142 (5452)

Featherstone 2101 (3121)

Barrow 1266 (1417)

Halifax 2090 (2036)

Dewsbury 1251 (932)

Rochdale 694 (504)

Toulouse 6103 (3513)

You say most clubs have seen a drop, but the figures show the opposite. Also, if you're going to exclude York for being first game (I wouldn't) then you should consider who played them in first game last year. 

14 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I think that's largely down to the fact they played at home three days earlier this year and so the marketing was a bit split. Like many people there's no way I could've made two matches in the same weekend and given the choice I'd have rather attended the York one but I ended up only being able to make the Toronto match.

TBF I didn't see much marketing for the York game either. 

I do believe they are trying to hire somebody for that position? It's quite an exciting job - they could do so much!

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

34 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Leigh 3142 (5452)

Featherstone 2101 (3121)

Barrow 1266 (1417)

Halifax 2090 (2036)

Dewsbury 1251 (932)

Rochdale 694 (504)

Toulouse 6103 (3513)

You've got Barrow's the wrong way round. It was the bigger crowd this year.

I could never understand the psyche when they set out playng on British soil in '17, of the people who went along to watch them it could have been nothing more than curiosity value, they could have watched the same players performing for different clubs the previous season, and 12 of them from one club alone, there was nothing different except the fact that they played in a different jersey. 

A better comparrison to see if their popularity is being maintained is to compare their viewing figures in this country on the TV but Sky v Premier Sports would not give a true alignment of the figures. 

13 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

You say most clubs have seen a drop, but the figures show the opposite. Also, if you're going to exclude York for being first game (I wouldn't) then you should consider who played them in first game last year. 

That was before corrected myself in the edit once I had time to look it up. I didn't exclude York for being the first game, I excluded York because they didn't play Toronto last year.

22 minutes ago, fevtom said:

That was before corrected myself in the edit once I had time to look it up. I didn't exclude York for being the first game, I excluded York because they didn't play Toronto last year.

They did the year before though so can compare to that. 

Even with your update I don't see any evidence of a drop off. 

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I could never understand the psyche when they set out playng on British soil in '17, of the people who went along to watch them it could have been nothing more than curiosity value, they could have watched the same players performing for different clubs the previous season, and 12 of them from one club alone, there was nothing different except the fact that they played in a different jersey. 

A better comparrison to see if their popularity is being maintained is to compare their viewing figures in this country on the TV but Sky v Premier Sports would not give a true alignment of the figures. 

What complete rubbish.  The overall standard of the TWP starting 17 was much higher than just about any other club in the league.  It's a team game.  Nobody goes to watch 1 player unless he's a very rare talent.  People do want to watch good quality TEAMS more than weak ones. Obviously.

23 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

They did the year before though so can compare to that. 

Even with your update I don't see any evidence of a drop off. 

That's what I'm saying, my initial impression was there'd be a slight fall based on the matches I've seen but looking at the statistics there's not much in it. York was 100 or so lower than their 2017 figure (although their attendances in general have almost doubled.) With the seven I mentioned plus York the average comes out at around 2412 this year compared to 2428 before so it's pretty much the same and individual games are probably more affected by other things such as Leigh's bad form or Toulouse switching grounds.

15 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Won't Leigh's car crash off season, and Featherstone's very inconsistent start both have more to do with this than whether the Wolfpack are a bigger draw or not?

Average home attendances for us have been lower so far this season, but the Toronto fixture saw by far the biggest percentage fall as far as I can tell.

The upheaval during our off-season definitely contributed to lower figures this season. When the early-bird offer on season tickets ended (at the end of October IIRC), our squad was still in single digits and our coach hadn't been announced. Expectations were definitely higher last season.

9 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Cheers, corrected!

So actually 5 of the 7 attendances went up from last year for the Toronto Wolfpack fixture (which, for many of the club,s was the highest crowd of the previous season)...this clearly mathematically proves crowds are bigger for the Wolfpack away games...as many have previously said...it 'The Toronto Effect' in action....its real.

31 minutes ago, fevtom said:

That's what I'm saying, my initial impression was there'd be a slight fall based on the matches I've seen but looking at the statistics there's not much in it. York was 100 or so lower than their 2017 figure (although their attendances in general have almost doubled.) With the seven I mentioned plus York the average comes out at around 2412 this year compared to 2428 before so it's pretty much the same and individual games are probably more affected by other things such as Leigh's bad form or Toulouse switching grounds.

Fair enough, I focused on the second paragraph in your original post. 

In this case I wouldn't use the average though, as it gives Leigh, Toulouse and Featherstone too much weight. As you say lots of factors involved, we will know a lot better in a couple of years time. 

5 hours ago, Cowardly Fan said:

York

2518 (2602)

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yeah, why would you go see a new movie with the old actors? 

48 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How backward thinking do you need to be, to blame your own clubs poor home attendance on Toronto Wolfpack, when most clubs get their seasons best attendance when they play the Wolfpack. Talk about sheer desperation.

Can't buy tickets for the upcoming game in Toronto on Ticketmaster...I've been told it says its sold out.

23 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Can't buy tickets for the upcoming game in Toronto on Ticketmaster...I've been told it says its sold out.

Really? Must be a glitch - tickets still available just now for the west stand at least. Get on quick while its still working

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

1 minute ago, Manx RL said:

Really? Must be a glitch - tickets still available just now for the west stand at least. Get on quick while its still working

Is that Ticketmaster or the Wolfpack site?

7 hours ago, fevtom said:

Leigh 3142 (5452)

Featherstone 2101 (3121)

Barrow 1417 (1266)

Halifax 2090 (2036)

Dewsbury 1251 (932)

Rochdale 694 (504)

Toulouse 6103 (3513)

So when you say most, you mean 2 and the rest have risen?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived