East/West Championship Conference

As a side competition, similar to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Leagues of old days, why can't we divide the championship into two separate Conferences, and using the standard Leagues games, separate into East & West competitions, if you exclude TWP & TO, this would make two conferences of 6 teams each, if you move the furthest West team in Yorkshire, to the West Conf., ie., Halifax (Cue Fax fans whinging). Or we could include TWP in the West, and TO in the East. This would not include the Blackpool fixtures.

East: Sheffield, York, Bradford, Featherstone, Batley & Dewsbury (&Toulouse)

West: Leigh, Halifax, Swinton, Barrow, Widnes & Rochdale (& Toronto)

8 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand you question.

It's fairly straightforward. What are you actually proposing, are you proposing for each conference to play each other 4 times for example? What about cross conference games? What are you actually proposing because at this moment it seems pointless?

No. Play the season as normal, all 14 teams play each other Home & Away, but if for example Rochdale play Widnes, this game will count in a separate league as well. Only the normal seasons game to count, Not the Blackpool ones, neither any cup or playoff games.

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

No. Play the season as normal, all 14 teams play each other Home & Away, but if for example Rochdale play Widnes, this game will count in a separate league as well. Only the normal seasons game to count, Not the Blackpool ones, neither any cup or playoff games.

Ok seems pointless to me.

Just now, Damien said:

Ok seems pointless to me.

Yeah, don't worry. If a team, mid table in the Championship, is playing well against their own conference, they may well be in with a shout of a conference trophy, and encourage them to get a winning habit. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

17 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Yeah, don't worry. If a team, mid table in the Championship, is playing well against their own conference, they may well be in with a shout of a conference trophy, and encourage them to get a winning habit. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

You may not have noticed, but we’ve just got rid of a league system because of its complications, and now you suggest something else. Ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Teessidewire said:

You may not have noticed, but we’ve just got rid of a league system because of its complications, and now you suggest something else. Ridiculous.

Yes we now just go straight to the play-offs, don't we, we do not have a complicated "League system"

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Yes we now just go straight to the play-offs, don't we, we do not have a complicated "League system"

There was something similar many years ago, we had a Lancs League and a York’s League which ran alongside the main competition, it wasn’t that popular. I just really can’t see the point.

I’m not sure what the benefits are for conferences in the Championship. 

If we’re brutally honest, there’s a huge disparity between the top end of the Championship and the bottom of it. It gets to 5th or 6th and then there usually seems to be a considerable margin in terms of points earned between them and the bottom of the league. 

I wonder if it would be more beneficial for all parties and those that want to eventually get to a 2x10 league structure at the top end of the game if reducing the number of teams in the Championship to ten and then having a bigger League One in terms of participants, that could then be broken up into East and West Conferences would be a better format in terms of quality than what we have now. 

7 minutes ago, Teessidewire said:

There was something similar many years ago, we had a Lancs League and a York’s League which ran alongside the main competition, it wasn’t that popular. I just really can’t see the point.

The Trans-Pennine Cup ran on similar lines in the early 2000's before it became the Buddies/Arriva/Northern Rail Cup when the lower league was split in to two divisions.

• 1 month later...
On 24/04/2019 at 11:37, Bleep1673 said:

As a side competition, similar to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Leagues of old days, why can't we divide the championship into two separate Conferences, and using the standard Leagues games, separate into East & West competitions, if you exclude TWP & TO, this would make two conferences of 6 teams each, if you move the furthest West team in Yorkshire, to the West Conf., ie., Halifax (Cue Fax fans whinging). Or we could include TWP in the West, and TO in the East. This would not include the Blackpool fixtures.

East: Sheffield, York, Bradford, Featherstone, Batley & Dewsbury (&Toulouse)

West: Leigh, Halifax, Swinton, Barrow, Widnes & Rochdale (& Toronto)

With what you are suggesting it doesn't matter if the 2 conferences aren't equal in number 

Archived