Next Workington Town coach?

Who do Town fans want as the next coach?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who do Town fans want as the next coach?

• Oliver Wilkes
    • Alan Kilshaw
    • Chris Thornman
    • Steve McCormack
    • Carl Forster
    • Dennis Betts
    • Leon Pryce reinstated
    • Jason Payne
    • Any not listed

3 minutes ago, donald said:

Forster spoke to youse last week would guess that's the one who as talked about 3 new players also spoke to haven about returning as a player

Has he left Rochdale ?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, MIG45 said:

Taken “Head Coach at Rochdale Hornets” off his twitter bio too so definitely gone.

Think they're mad not trying to keep him as a player I said previously outstanding player possibly out of his depth coaching at that level.

4 minutes ago, RLfan99 said:

Think a lot of people would be out of their depth trying to keep Rochdale in that league.

heard Rooney getting it. Wouldn’t be a bad appointment, but certainly not the greatest. All out for thornman IMO

But wouldn't Rooney get good local players?

is there enough good local players for 2 teams? And when I say good enough, I mean getting promoted to the championship, Whitehaven have the best crop of local talent in my opinion.

would Rooney’s recruits from the brow be top end league 1/ championship?

1 hour ago, RLfan99 said:

is there enough good local players for 2 teams? And when I say good enough, I mean getting promoted to the championship, Whitehaven have the best crop of local talent in my opinion.

would Rooney’s recruits from the brow be top end league 1/ championship?

3-4 would be well suited to this league and with time to develop could be championship players 

The first problem the Coach has to solve going forward is not just signing new players but holding on to existing ones .We as a Club seem to lose players for one reason or other . For instance at the weekend Barrow fielded Ritson , Walne ,Stack and Walker , Haven fielded Mossop , Forrester ,Shacks ,Dowsett ,Moore , Coward ,Phillips , and Newton .Other ex Townies were out injured . This at a time when we are struggling for players , backs in particular .Every season we sign 7 or so players but also lose another 7 . We seem to have to re-build at the end of every season . It`s one step forward , two steps back . This above all has to stop .

10 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

The first problem the Coach has to solve going forward is not just signing new players but holding on to existing ones .We as a Club seem to lose players for one reason or other . For instance at the weekend Barrow fielded Ritson , Walne ,Stack and Walker , Haven fielded Mossop , Forrester ,Shacks ,Dowsett ,Moore , Coward ,Phillips , and Newton .Other ex Townies were out injured . This at a time when we are struggling for players , backs in particular .Every season we sign 7 or so players but also lose another 7 . We seem to have to re-build at the end of every season . It`s one step forward , two steps back . This above all has to stop .

Unfortunately can’t see it being any different this year. We have 10 players signed on for next year and beyond and to be honest whether we had a good season or not this year we were always going to have to replace the likes of Wilkes, Penky, tickle, ffmm and probably Hopkins. That process has got to start now really, irrespective of how the rest of the season goes. It will not be an easy process to replace that many players with players either of the quality to get out of this division or if we have a massive turn round of fortune keep us in the championship next year. 

6 hours ago, IanMac said:

Unfortunately can’t see it being any different this year. We have 10 players signed on for next year and beyond and to be honest whether we had a good season or not this year we were always going to have to replace the likes of Wilkes, Penky, tickle, ffmm and probably Hopkins. That process has got to start now really, irrespective of how the rest of the season goes. It will not be an easy process to replace that many players with players either of the quality to get out of this division or if we have a massive turn round of fortune keep us in the championship next year. 

Why Hopkins?

On 29/04/2019 at 16:08, donald said:

Think they're mad not trying to keep him as a player I said previously outstanding player possibly out of his depth coaching at that level.

No doubt he was a great leader and motivator on the field but is that what Town need at the moment? We have plenty of oid heads on the field and do we need another prop? His he a good coach? The first year with haven he took them to the play off final but spent big which nearly saw them off. Second season on a tighter budget he failed to get to the play offs and he's  struggled at Rochdale this season. The Jury is out as far as his coaching ability is concerned IMO. 

8 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

No doubt he was a great leader and motivator on the field but is that what Town need at the moment? We have plenty of oid heads on the field and do we need another prop? His he a good coach? The first year with haven he took them to the play off final but spent big which nearly saw them off. Second season on a tighter budget he failed to get to the play offs and he's  struggled at Rochdale this season. The Jury is out as far as his coaching ability is concerned IMO. 

Excellent player not so clever as a coach and that's from players

34 minutes ago, donald said:

Excellent player not so clever as a coach and that's from players

I can believe that but is there such a thing as a coach that every player likes and respects? 

2 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

I can believe that but is there such a thing as a coach that every player likes and respects? 

He’d be a weak coach if he existed 

Probably telling people who already know , but talking to players over the last decade or so , they nearly all say to a man , the best coach they have played under was Ged Stokes .Unfortunately you had to take all his baggage as well and if you weren`t in the clique it was hard work .A lot of coaches seem to coach well , but fall down badly on man management .

53 minutes ago, havenhater said:

Sione and Limmer to have came back during this blip we have just had?? What a dream that would be?

It was worth the admission just to watch those 2.

Archived