Next Wigan coach?

Lam - 4/1

Chester - 7/1.  

Barrett, Betts, Wane - 8/1

Flanagan - 10/1

Paul Deacon/Tony Smith - 12/1.  Imo these 2 could be 120/1.

Lenegan, according to SARL is ‘considering other options’. Amazing if true.

Still time for Shaun Edwards to come back into the betting.  Thread meltdown.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Paul Deacon/Tony Smith 

That’s a bizarre coaching partnership to propose.   That’s like putting John Dorahy and Alex Murphy together... oh, wait ?

47 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Resigning ?

I wonder what Lam thinks when he reads the Lenegan ‘quote’?  If true, why would he show interest: “Adrian Lam has admitted for the first time that he would like to stay on as Wigan Warriors head coach beyond this season, report Wigan Today.”?  

Seems Lam isn’t nailed on at 4/1.  

Think Leneghan will take his time and see how things go over the next month or so as players drift back into the team.

Interesting that Lam wants the role considering he still has his position at the Roosters open, he must believe he can turn things around to risk giving up that long term job security.

A big cup win or defeat against Warrington in May might be the deciding factor regarding whether he is offered an extension.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I know injuries have played their part but with the record so far this season, and the performances in many games, it's surprising that Lam is such a favourite. The jury is still out regards him as a head coach.

Yeh , they can’t have had much faith in him to begin with given the arrangement . The whole situation has been a farce 

Wigan can give Lam a full season, because that's what he signed up for. They can start sounding out alternative coaches if the team doesn't shew improvement over the next 3-4 months. No need for instant panic moves. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

A big cup win or defeat against Warrington in May might be the deciding factor regarding whether he is offered an extension.

Realistically Wigan will neither be near relegation, nor in contention for the title.   I can see the cup as a fresh start for the players to focus on and it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Wigan beat Warrington away and go all the way to winning at Wembley.   Nothing to lose and we know they have enough quality across the park to win some big one-off games.

Im not sure Lam is the answer long-term however, even with a cup win.

11 hours ago, Damien said:

I know injuries have played their part but with the record so far this season, and the performances in many games, it's surprising that Lam is such a favourite. The jury is still out regards him as a head coach.

I think more than the injuries its the fact he was appointed on a 1 year deal with most of the squad (including himself) expecting him to leave at the end of it. Psychologically that has to have an effect. 

Add to that the fact that Wigan lost some real quality, key to their team, in Bateman, Sutton and Tomkins, as well as obviously Shaun Wane, in the off season and you've got a recipe for as we at Leeds call it 'a transition period'.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think more than the injuries its the fact he was appointed on a 1 year deal with most of the squad (including himself) expecting him to leave at the end of it. Psychologically that has to have an effect. 

Add to that the fact that Wigan lost some real quality, key to their team, in Bateman, Sutton and Tomkins, as well as obviously Shaun Wane, in the off season and you've got a recipe for as we at Leeds call it 'a transition period'.

The key question is who we sign or retain for next year, as we have 2 marquee spots (assuming Williams goes) to play with. Get everyone fit and on the same page this year, and we will be able to beat anyone. With the exceptional junior talent we have, a golden generation, sign a couple of top class big names and we will win a lot of games from 2020. A director of rugby to work on recruitment and structure would make a lot of sense. 

11 hours ago, NorthWest RL Academy said:

Is Lam really being considered despite the poor form and performances?

Doesn’t say he is, other than he is favourite, albeit 4/1.  

Already mentioned that he has a post to go to in Aus, but is now saying he’s available for Wigan.  These really are mixed messages, as is the Lenegan allegation quote.  It would provide more stability for the club for this  to be sorted now.

Chester would be ideal imo.

The 4 coaches I can recall IL appointing are McDermott at London, McGuire, Wane and Edwards. All of these were top notch choices. I have no doubt he will choose well again, having rigourously considered who is available. While Lam may be that man, I trust IL's judgement given his track record. The question with Lam is whether he should have done more with the players available to him, even taking into account the challenges he has faced. I would be astonished if he were appointed prior to Wire away in the Cup. Personally, I think he could have done more with the squad, but that is at one stage remove.

Archived