RFL warn coaches about bad language on tv

The RFL have told coaches to be mindful of their behaviour and language during games. Both Woolford and Furner have apparently been caught using naughty words in the stands when the camera went on them . The compliance department , yes really , has told coaches about their touchline behaviour when sky show the shots from them to show the passion of the game and their reactions ... 

Really , when you think you’ve read it all . A coach in a high octane environment full of emotion not to swear on the off chance there’ll put a camera on them and lip readers will be upset . Don’t put a camera on them all the time then - and at times of heightened emotion or frustration on purpose ! Or if you do , like mics in sport , accept what you get 

The purpose of restricting swearing on TV is IMO mainly for young kids so they don’t copy what they hear.   I think adults lip-reading a frustrated coach is not quite as serious as it’s made out to be.   I’m not saying that it’s right of course, and I wouldn’t be too bothered if Sky didn’t show coach’s reactions or at least filtered it out on the slow-mo replay.

Much worse (again IMO) is players like Hardaker flipping the bird when scoring a try.   Young kids look up to their player heroes, and I don’t want to see my own kids picking up habits like that.

I think the RFL is right on this to warn clubs and coaches. They are right to try and enforce some sort of standards in behaviour. On the flip side I know that in the heat of the moment these things happen so I'd expect a lot of leniency too and no action unless a coach went completely overboard. Even if this warning only makes a coach think twice then it's worth it.

I sometimes use Sports Ears at NRL matches. It lets me listen to the referees and it also picks up what the players are saying when they are near the refs. I definitely wouldn’t recommend it for children!

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think the RFL is right on this to warn clubs and coaches. They are right to try and enforce some sort of standards in behaviour. On the flip side I know that in the heat of the moment these things happen so I'd expect a lot of leniency too and no action unless a coach went completely overboard. Even if this warning only makes a coach think twice then it's worth it.

The heat of the moment is apposite . I really don’t think if something frustrates or angers them they’ll be thinking of an RFL directive . Just seems nanny state ridiculous and unrealistic whatever the intentions . What about players ? And honestly kids nowadays are hardly snowflakes in this area - theyll watch football more and see it constantly . It just is what it is in sport . I find it ridiculous apologising for bad language everywhere like they’re your Nanna - in boxing between rounds , even in football crowds now . Don’t put the effects mics , or cameras on coaches ,you’ll not stop human reactions in adrenaline fuelled moments people are invested heavily in 

I believe that top sportsmen and coaches should be expected to set an appropriate example for young people watching the sport. Special attention should be paid to their use of grammar and pronunciation where many young people don't get sufficient home tutoring.

Swearing shouldn't be such a major issue; I'm sure that most of them get sufficient teaching in that skill at home.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I don't necessarily buy the role model argument. But if I'm a sponsor I don't want my logo near a coach unloading a volley of expletives on a camera cutaway. And if I'm the RFL, I need league and club sponsors.

It's not an issue to ask coaches (and anyone else) to be aware they don't have free rein.

I'm sure Webby can provide them with a handy list of unacceptable terms from this forum's sweary filter.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Holbrook is seen clearly effing and jeffing every time a decision goes against Saints and the camera pans to him. Now, you can reasonably asks whether we need to see coaches' reactions to every event, but it does seem incongruous Eddie to apologise for bad language but this to be overlooked.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Jeez the answer is simple - don't put them on the screen, the shots of coaches add nothing to the coverage of the game anyway. If Sky  insist on doing it (or playing back something that may/not have happened 10 seconds earlier) they should invest in picture in picture so we, the viewers, can see what's actually going on in the game.

5 minutes ago, TBone said:

they should invest in picture in picture so we, the viewers, can see what's actually going on in the game.

This exactly . Said it before , the replay box is such a simple yet effective innovation on fox sports 

Archived